The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,987
What makes you feel old about the TMNT property?

So, the TMNT property is already over 30 years old at this point and has had a lot of stuff tied into it, from cartoons, to movies, to merchandise, etc.

Lemme see:

The fact there's 4 TMNT cartoons already: I remember very well being a kid growing up watching reruns of the FW cartoon which was already considered a rather old cartoon by that point. Then the 2k3 series is announced and I get super excited, and everyone calls it... the new Ninja Turtles cartoon. Well this NEW cartoon debuted in 2002-2003 and ended around 2009. Since then we've had the Nick cartoon and now there's Rise. So it's definitely no longer "new".

The fact that I'm quite older than the Turtles nowadays: When I was a kid, the Turtles were like older brothers that I've never had to me, or like the cool older kids in school to me for me to look up to. Even when I was watching the 2k3 series and was in my teens, I could see them as my peers or more mature teenagers than myself. Now, I can't do that anymore. I'm 27 years old. Plus, the Nick show Turtles were the youngest ones ever. In a few years I'll be old enough to be their father.

The fact that there's so much TMNT related stuf nowadays that I'll probably never run out of stuff to check out. : When 2k3 cartoon debuted there were only the Mirage comics, Archie comics, the 3 movies and the FW series... and The Next mutation.

What about you? Does this franchise make you feel old already?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,350
That Peter Laird is almost retirement age.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That Peter Laird is almost retirement age.
Peter has always been old in my eyes, so that doesn't make me feel old. Plus he sold the rights to Viacom nearly a decade ago already, so it's not like he's working in TMNT anymore. What has he even done since then? Does he own a small store/business or something?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,965
Not a whole lot really... Probably largely the fact that they're 34 already and I'm a handful of years older.

Other than that, I almost have a hard time believing, since they still look (and feel - aka not sticky) good for their age, three of the figures I have near the computer are 23 and 27 years old already, which makes me in turn feel old.

Mostly I'm just kinda proud of them for sticking around so long, but the fact that there are properties such as Superman that are a lot older kind of makes them not feel so old after all.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not a whole lot really... Probably largely the fact that they're 34 already and I'm a handful of years older.

Other than that, I almost have a hard time believing, since they still look (and feel - aka not sticky) good for their age, three of the figures I have near the computer are 23 and 27 years old already, which makes me in turn feel old.

Mostly I'm just kinda proud of them for sticking around so long, but the fact that there are properties such as Superman that are a lot older kind of makes them not feel so old after all.
Well the TMNT property has always been older than me so that helps.. now, properties like Pokémon which are younger than me and STILL going strong and in their 7th generation already with over 700 pokémon
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,360
The 4kids cartoon which was called, "the new TMNT cartoon" for so long is now over 15 years old and there have been two more TMNT cartoons after it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
miru
Mad Scientist
 
miru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,741
Alopex debuted like, 6 years ago.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,640
The fact that I'm almost completely out of touch with the new material. I used to follow the OT and 2k3 shows religiously as they aired, but I just couldn't keep interest in the Nick show.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,761
There was a time during the late-1990's and early-2000's when TMNT was a childhood memory. Everything was easy and simple when refering to various media:

The *comics" meant the TMNT Adventures-Mutanimals comics from Archie Comics. I was unaware of Mirage. I knew Fleetway but they were definately considered secondary, not being from the original country.

The "cartoon" meant the Fred Wolf Studios' series. (or "TV-series", at least I wasn't aware of Next Mutation at the time)

The "films" menat the trilogy from New Line Cinema

The "videogames" meant those based on Fred Wolf-Archie

The "toys" meant the original toyline.

And I used to think of TMNT as a late-1980's and early-1990's trend that would never return.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,134
I suppose this franchise is one of the main reasons I don't feel old, don't feel any different than when I was below 10. The turtles still feel like big brothers to me, given they sound a good deal older than teens, and were voiced by actors from my parents' generation, in the original toon anyway. I doubt I'll ever feel like an adult.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7,761
I also recall a time here at this community when the Fred Wolf Studios' series was called the Old Toon. Now, that means Original Toon. And the 4 Kids series was called the New Toon.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,141
I guess the fact that I’m quite older than the Turtles themselves nowadays and the 4Kids cartoon is now considered old.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker. It might work.
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,360
I was only 16 years old in 2003 when the 4kids series started. I was still an edgy teen spending most of my time on videogame message boards.

I am now 32...how the hell did that happen?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I am now 32...how the hell did that happen?
Would you say it felt like everything went by at 1.5x speed?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:55 AM   #15
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 8,282
It kind of blows my mind that there are so many people who weren't alive to be able to see any of the original three movies in a theater during their original runs. I realize that a lot of theaters do retro movie events now, but those are never the same as those first-run showings with a full theater of anticipation. They really were great fun.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #16
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,749
Probably the idea of kids today being shown the FW cartoon by their parents.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It kind of blows my mind that there are so many people who weren't alive to be able to see any of the original three movies in a theater during their original runs. I realize that a lot of theaters do retro movie events now, but those are never the same as those first-run showings with a full theater of anticipation. They really were great fun.
Well then I guess that applies t people aged 25-30 too. I mean, I was born in November 1990, which was after the first movie came out. SoTO came out when I was a baby, meaning I was too young to go and watch it as well. And the 1993 film came out when i was 2-3 years old which is also a bit young to go to the cinema and understand what you're looking at.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #18
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Would you say it felt like everything went by at 1.5x speed?
Where's the "like" button on this thing.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,360
The 2007 movie is now over 11 years old. WTF.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #20
sdp
<<Virtual Death Raver->>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 7,028
I think the biggest ones for me are actually the Platinum Dunes movies, they still feel so recent to me but the first one came out in 2014 and the sequel in 2016. I swear to me the sequel feels like it came out last year and the first one like 2 years ago For a while it was the 2007 film since it did feel recent but I guess it does feel old now that i think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It kind of blows my mind that there are so many people who weren't alive to be able to see any of the original three movies in a theater during their original runs
Well I was technically alive but too young to see the original movies in their theater runs but I would still consider myself part of that turtlemania craze from the early 90s.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.