The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think April and Casey sort of settled for each other.
Which isn't to say there's no love there, but let's be honest...after all they've been through, their baggage matches.

Kind of like Peeta and Katniss.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I think April and Casey sort of settled for each other.
Which isn't to say there's no love there, but let's be honest...after all they've been through, their baggage matches.

Kind of like Peeta and Katniss.
Spoiler alert!

Yeah, it's kind of a trauma bond.

It's just interesting that these human characters on the sidelines of the series have so much baggage that only gets partly explored.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Not really... Casey refuses to bail on a woman who is pregnant with another man's child, marries her, and them raises her child into a fairly well-adjusted adult after her mother dies. A lot of men in today's world don't even want to take responsibility for their own children.

Casey is rough around the edges and has a lot of deep-seeded emotional problems, but he has a big heart and is always trying to do the right thing. He's only violent towards men if the deserve it, and I can't recall him ever being physically or emotionally abusive towards a woman. He has no choice but to love them and try to save them because he desperately needs the validation.
This is why I love Casey. He's not perfect but he tries and he cares, all he wants to do is make the world a safer place, sure his methods are flawed but he's certainly a chaotic good.
Although on this topic, anyone else get slightly annoyed in the Image comics? I mean there was a subplot about Casey and April being low on money so of course they do the sensible thing and make the guy with a poor employment record go out and get a job while the woman with a degree and plenty of work experience in well a paid field stays at home and takes care of the kid.
I just felt as though the only reason for it was because he was a man, but really it makes no sense. April seemed to enjoy working with computers and surely there's be somewhere in that field employing. Casey lost a job due to anger issues, but he is an amazing father. Wouldn't it make sense for him to take care of Shadow? Furthermore, when they were living in Northampton I think April was the only one working to support them all so I don't get why she couldn't have done that again.

Basically, I love pretty much every character in this franchise because when you really look at them, there's a lot of depth and potential. The problem is that it's often underused. I'd love to see a version that gives the human characters interesting arcs, to tell you the truth, my favourite arcs in City at War (Mirage comics) were April and Casey's.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #24
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
This is why I love Casey. He's not perfect but he tries and he cares, all he wants to do is make the world a safer place, sure his methods are flawed but he's certainly a chaotic good.
Although on this topic, anyone else get slightly annoyed in the Image comics? I mean there was a subplot about Casey and April being low on money so of course they do the sensible thing and make the guy with a poor employment record go out and get a job while the woman with a degree and plenty of work experience in well a paid field stays at home and takes care of the kid.
I just felt as though the only reason for it was because he was a man, but really it makes no sense. April seemed to enjoy working with computers and surely there's be somewhere in that field employing. Casey lost a job due to anger issues, but he is an amazing father. Wouldn't it make sense for him to take care of Shadow? Furthermore, when they were living in Northampton I think April was the only one working to support them all so I don't get why she couldn't have done that again.

Basically, I love pretty much every character in this franchise because when you really look at them, there's a lot of depth and potential. The problem is that it's often underused. I'd love to see a version that gives the human characters interesting arcs, to tell you the truth, my favourite arcs in City at War (Mirage comics) were April and Casey's.
Yeah... the Image series was not the most progressive version of the TMNT franchise, as indicated by Pimiko's super functional ninja outfit.

Also, as much credit as Casey deserves for sticking with Gabrielle and adopting Shadow, April deserves even more for adopting Shadow. There's another degree of separation between her and Shadow than Casey has. She is taking on a child for the rest of her life with a guy she was not even sure about.

It just shows the depths of importance of "chosen family" in the TMNT franchise, which is cool.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also April in Nick is only 16. What major friends would a teenager have?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

In any incarnation, she has a very small circle of friends. And the most important things in her life tend to involve the Turtles. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most teenagers have a group of friends at school. I wasn't even one of the popular kids and I had a main friendship group and plenty of acquaintances.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #28
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

In the Nick toon, if I recall, she acknowledges she is a bit of an outcast. Hopefully younger folks without friends can identify with her.

What's weird is that she is even more friendless in Mirage and 2003 series and this is never even a plot point (except in Mirage's City at War). Like she was kind of just waiting for the Turtles to happen to her.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #29
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Wtf does that even mean?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Uh, most have friends...

Granted Nick April's main friend turned out to be a Kranng android, so maybe she's overly cautious now and has a hard time accepting new people.

Although it's kind of nice that maybe she's now got both Karai and Shini.

Eh, I've never really seen April as any kind of loser. Other versions of her, at least those I'm mainly familar with, just seemed like a very career focused woman and the complete counter opposite of FW Irma. I just figured she had at least a little more of a life 'off camera' that we didn't/don't see much of.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-26-2017 at 07:06 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wouldn't say most 16 year olds have many friends. I mean sure you talk to people in school, but close friends you invite to your home or go out with, etc? Probably only a small handful.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

How could she be a loser with such breasts?

It's no longer a mystery as a Technodrome resident did all the research required to find this information out and boy did he get to some conclusions.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Funny thing is I never noticed April's breasts in the OT, but that may obviously have to do with the fact that I was like 3-8 years old for the majority of the cartoons run, and April was the last thing I was thinking about while watching it.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #34
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How could she be a loser with such breasts?

It's no longer a mystery as a Technodrome resident did all the research required to find this information out and boy did he get to some conclusions.
Huh? What the hell you talking about?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Huh? What the hell you talking about?
He's talking about this guy who has an unhealthy obsession with her:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=3942
Old 03-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #36
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If we ignore the fact that if not for them she'd be dead.
If you have to ignore a fact in order to make a case, doesn't that void your case?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #37
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
He's talking about this guy who has an unhealthy obsession with her:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/member.php?u=3942
Yeah, I get really liking a character. Hell I like her too, she's awesome. But adding 'drooling over April O'Neil' under interests is a bit... unusual.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #38
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
Yeah, I get really liking a character. Hell I like her too, she's awesome. But adding 'drooling over April O'Neil' under interests is a bit... unusual.
Not if you're a straight male or a tomboy lesbian it isn't. She's been far more sexualized than any other female TMNT character, including Renet.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Not if you're a straight male or a tomboy lesbian it isn't. .
LOL, what is a tomboy lesbian?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I don't think being a tomboy has any specific orientation requirements...
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil