The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #61
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I Agree. Del Torro and his team are very creative. They could work wonders for a live action TMNT film.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I Agree. Del Torro and his team are very creative. They could work wonders for a live action TMNT film.
He'd need to want to do it. If he doesn't "get" them and is just like, "Jes, jes ze Turtlez! I got it! Zey come out of ze shadows and zip zip zip and swoosh!" One, because he's at a point in his career where he isn't doing "work" and is only doing projects he loves. Two, because we may end up with a visually fascinating disaster.

But yeah, TMNT would be very, very lucky to land such a visionary director.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-02-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #63
AquaParade
Banned

Del Toro is such a fantastic choice for the next TMNT movie. Especially because it seems just within reach of being possible.
It's still rather unlikely, but it would make perfect sense.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #64
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He'd need to want to do it. If he doesn't "get" them and is just like, "Jes, jes ze Turtlez! I got it! Zey come out of ze shadows and zip zip zip and swoosh!" One, because he's at a point in his career where he isn't doing "work" and is only doing projects he loves. Two, because we may end up with a visually fascinating disaster.

But yeah, TMNT would be very, very lucky to land such a visionary director.
Oh for sure, it'd have to almost be like a Christopher Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy type of perfect storm with a giant combination of good script/team wanting to tell a good story, passion and understanding of what makes the characters work and visionary director.

In a perfect world, Paramount and Nickelodeon wouldn't care so much about a live action movie needing to be dumbed down for general audiences and they could just be allowed to tell the kind of TMNT story that they'd want to make. You're right though, Del Toro would have to WANT to do it. I get chills thinking of what he'd be able to add to the franchise if all the pieces came together in the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Del Toro is such a fantastic choice for the next TMNT movie. Especially because it seems just within reach of being possible.
It's still rather unlikely, but it would make perfect sense.
Exactly! It makes the most sense out of what he's been able to do and something that the franchise could benefit from. Glad that my dream suggestion was able to start up such a good discussion!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #65
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Its been more than 25 years since the original turtles flick and while I think the films after it have been interesting, I don't think any of them have ever been as great as the original or even great films on their own. (excluding turtles forever)

Do you think there will ever be a new tmnt film that will be on the level of the original or even above it? If yes, how do you think this would be achieved? (for e.g. Which characters and stories to use).

In this scenario, I wouldn't count turtles forever because as great of a film it was, it wasn't a theatrical release introducing a new turtles Universe, being more of an extended 2k3 episode in my eyes.
Little late to the party here.... My opinion is this... The Henson film holds a HUGE nostalgic grip on my heart... It is by far my favorite turtle movie to date. Buuuuut... I do feel that we need something entirely different than what we've seen in the past in terms of TMNT flicks. In short, I'd prefer not to even see Turtles in the next movie that is produced... Lets not even mention their existence in the title of the movie. Instead, lets focus on strong character development of where their story begins.... That is with Splinter and Shredder... Share their story first! Why not demonstrate the internal struggles Shredder may have had as a man before he became a villain? I think there was a nick episode that kindly brought some of his story to light... It was short lived, but I think it had all the elements... My minds eye gravitates to the essence of batman begins. That movie was widely popular due to the fact it covered Bruce Wayne's back story so f*c*'n well... Assuming someone put a flick like this together... If there is a sequel, I don't want to see roided out turtles.. These are Teenagers! Not Lou Ferrigno or Arnie for god sake... They should be lean, and stealthy.. Maybe even not so goofy as they're often portrayed to be. Something more on the serious side. It is possible to have a serious flick that is acceptable to most age groups these days. Batman begins did it. Why not this property?

Sorry for the blob of rant. I'm at work multitasking... That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited by papa_smurf73; 02-03-2017 at 08:07 AM.
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #66
THGhost
Puppet Master

With del Toro's recent track record, if he did get a TMNT gig he'd no doubt have it snatched away from him by the film studio. A lot of projects have gone down the pan unfortunately, or received long delays. Which is just wrong, he should be treated with more respect.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
With del Toro's recent track record, if he did get a TMNT gig he'd no doubt have it snatched away from him by the film studio.
Did that happen on Pacific Rim? I don't recall him butting heads with any studio since, like... Blade 2, way back.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #68
THGhost
Puppet Master

It was delayed heavily and he's no longer directing. I don't know the specifics though. Lord knows why a sequel to Pacific Rim took so long to get made. Hope it turns out good.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 02-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #69
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya I think it will eventually. Eventually someone will take it more seriously and make a great Turtles movie.

The first is good but come on it could definitely be improved. So much more to make a movie from.

Now it's more like one big filler episode from 4kids...troubled teens falls in the wrong crowd - Shredder's behind it - turtles save the day (well Splinter)

That's the "best" anyone can do? Nah. TMNT is rich with ideas.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #70
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It's already a tie for me with 2014 film so I can see it being surpassed currently or in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
There's no way another film could surpass the original.
I know this is tmnt related but as overall in the industry, many films surpassed the original. It's possible.

Terminator 2.
Toy Story 2.
The Dark Knight.
Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back.
The Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
Hobbit : The Battle of the Five Armies
Aliens
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Mad Max: Fury Road
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Batman Returns
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:32 AM   #71
Chris
Mad Scientist

It's possible but it would need a creative team that loves the property and has a clear vision for it & for that vision to then hit with fans and the general audience.

If the creatives only see it as a nostalgia cash cow then it will never happen. We might get a good/fun film that's better than the recent mess but they won't top the original.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It was delayed heavily and he's no longer directing. I don't know the specifics though. Lord knows why a sequel to Pacific Rim took so long to get made. Hope it turns out good.
Nothing I've read about the Pacific Rim 2 stuff would lead me to believe there was some kind of huge falling out behind the scenes with Del Toro and the studio. I mean, something clearly happened, and it's a small miracle a Pacific Rim 2 is even happening at all given the box office.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #73
ABrown
Banned

For me, Turtles Forever isn't the other movie that's in my favorite two TMNT movies. It's the 2007 CGI TMNT movie that I've got up there with the 1990 movie as my two favorite TMNT movies.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #74
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Yeah eventually. I mean look at the Captain America Movie, it took 3 tries to get it right. TMNT 1990 had a perfect storm going for it. It was an indie film that had Jim Henson creature shop work on it, the TMNT craze was at its peak, the director/screenwriter utilized both elements of the cartoon and comic book to make a decent story that both kids and adults could enjoy. Plus the acting and chemistry by Judith Hoag and Elias Koteas (those two stood out IMO) really set it apart from other late 80's early 90's comic book movies like Punisher 88' and Captain America 90'.
Of course for that to happen people would have to WANT to make it and the directors and studios would need to be willing to make a risk. I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #75
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
It's already a tie for me with 2014 film so I can see it being surpassed currently or in the future.
I know this is tmnt related but as overall in the industry, many films surpassed the original. It's possible.

Terminator 2.
Toy Story 2.
The Dark Knight.
Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back.
The Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
Hobbit : The Battle of the Five Armies
Aliens
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Mad Max: Fury Road
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Batman Returns
I seriously wouldn't consider Toy Story 2 better than Toy Story 1. Technologically, yes. Otherwise, no.

You're right though, sequels can be better than their originals.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #76
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
I seriously wouldn't consider Toy Story 2 better than Toy Story 1. Technologically, yes. Otherwise, no.

You're right though, sequels can be better than their originals.
State your reasons instead of just saying no? Otherwise people can't see your view.

Both got 100% on rotten tomatoes though so I ain't gonna fret.

But I'll raise you the some scenes of Toy Story 2 which makes it greater than the original imo.

Jessie's sad scene (the original doesn't have any heart wrenching moment or as powerful moving moment)

Buzz Lightyear spectacular game opening scene (nothing as superb visually in the original)

Epic Buzz vs Zurg and Star Wars scene (the original has Sid as the villain but eh I prefer Zurg as he is stylish and a toy and he became a good guy in the end)

The toys come to rescue in a team (as opposed to only Woody alone and those other Sid's forgettable trainwreck toys)

A really famous/legendary/popular toy cameo in Toy Story. Barbie! (Original had no such thing)

There's also an addition of the lovely Mrs Potatohead!

This toy fixing scene is just gold to watch. Very professional and full of passion. So aesthetically pleasing! (Nothing really captivating with how humans treat the toys in the original. Well there's Sid burning Woody's forehead but eh that's lame)

Woody and his team as special collector's item pieces. it really reminds you that toys are more than mere child's plaything (the latter was the only focus in toy story 1. And I hated those simplistic kindergarten toys in Toy Story 3). Here they are treated as priceless artefacts. A marvel to behold.

More epic chase scene at the airport

Much better theme song

Pretty much everything is better than the original.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #77
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I actually personally don't consider neither Aliens nor T2 to be better than the original. I used to think that way when I was younger and thought "bigger and more action" meant "better movie." But as I've gotten older, I think they are good, but not better than their originals.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I actually personally don't consider neither Aliens nor T2 to be better than the original. I used to think that way when I was younger and thought "bigger and more action" meant "better movie." But as I've gotten older, I think they are good, but not better than their originals.
You and I think exactly the same way on this.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #79
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I can certainly agree with this. After having seen the first two Alien films back-to-back, I can see why people like Aliens more, but I kinda think that the original is better. While the sequal expanded the mythos and provided more action, it lacked the focus on the story and characterization the original had. Aliens just isn't as suspenseful as its predecessor, and just can't beat the classic, even though it's still a fantastic movie.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #80
NYShell
Stone Warrior

It's very possible a new live action movie could level up to and maybe surpass the 1990 film --- if it's in the right hands. But, just remember whose hands the property is under. Ever since the buyout in 2009(?), we've been getting such mediocrity, while being given little easter eggs in every Turtle medium to make us believe they're "servicing all the fans". They honestly haven't done anything groundbreaking with the property. People get suckered into it easily though.

Getting more to the point: it's possible but highly unlikely with who owns the property.

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote