The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #41
ABrown
Banned

TFW2005 did an upgrade within the last year. It hasn't gone too bad. It's about 1,000 times better than the mess that they've got going on over at Toonzone.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Toonzone has also been dead for a while. I just started posting random stuff there in the DC section to try and liven it up.

Every message board or forum I've visited over the last 15 years is now either barren or completely dead. I have no idea what's going on. Even hugely popular sites like IGN don't have anywhere as much activity as they used to.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #43
snake
Disgusting

I'm surprised we're as active as we are.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Because this place is filled with old disgruntled 25-30+ year old adults.

All the young teen/kid fans of Nick's TMNT are on tumblr. They post all about the episodes and everything TMNT on tumblr now. Same for a lot of other franchises I follow. It's the only reason I started lurking tumblr at some points.

Forums are for dinosaurs. They are like VHS tapes and tumblr are "DVDs."
Old 08-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Because this place is filled with old disgruntled 25-30+ year old adults.

All the young teen/kid fans of Nick's TMNT are on tumblr. They post all about the episodes and everything TMNT on tumblr now. Same for a lot of other franchises I follow. It's the only reason I started lurking tumblr at some points.

Forums are for dinosaurs. They are like VHS tapes and tumblr are "DVDs."
Newer versions of vBulletin are dressed up a bit more "modern" sensibilities. You can "Like" threads and connect it to Facebook and such. This board is two core versions in the past. vBulletin 3.0 came out like 10 years ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #46
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I almost think all the venom spitting keeps this place alive.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #47
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I almost think all the venom spitting keeps this place alive.
While that may be sadly true, as we know adults love 'drama'..

I'd be more than happy with LESS activity and LESS venom.

Message boards have gotten far too insane lately with combative personalities. and people are too afraid to deal with them or too nice to get rid of 'em.

I do miss the old days of the internet with more discussion. although, with older properties, I guess alot of the same things keep getting discussed, which may be another reason why people are abandoning message boards for other areas.

as for forum upgrades.. i like the classic look, but I WOULD like an option to like posts. Sometimes a post doesn't require a reply, but it's liked and appreciated. I keep looking for the like option and forgetting it's not on here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
TFW2005 did an upgrade within the last year. It hasn't gone too bad. It's about 1,000 times better than the mess that they've got going on over at Toonzone.
Toonzone. i forgot about that place. talk about the early days of the internet.

is it still active?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #48
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Toonzone has also been dead for a while. I just started posting random stuff there in the DC section to try and liven it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Toonzone. i forgot about that place. talk about the early days of the internet.
is it still active?
Yeah, Toonzone is pretty much a post apocalyptic barren wasteland these days. But the reason that I don't go there much is cause their system is ALWAYS having problems. They're the perfect example of what can go wrong with a forum upgrade.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #49
snake
Disgusting

What exactly went wrong with Toonzone? I don't browse there but I'm curious. I thought it was just an inactive site.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #50
sdp
-

I posted a lot on ToonZone since it was the place to talk about the DCAU and after TT and JLU finished I ventured into other parts. After a few years I was banned for being "antagonistic", which was me just pointing out hiphopcracy of the moderators which they would delete or modify posts to not leave evidence. I was finally permabanned for sarcastically pointing out that their April Fools celebration was just spamming and not funny or a joke.

I kept posting for another year under an anagram of sdp and it took them a year to find out and ban me. I made a third account but I guess by then the place had already changed since I really didn't use that account anymore and stopped posting. Like a year or two after that I was emailed and told that my permaban had been lifted and to please join the discussions in the new TZ forums. So, I guess they were hurting for users by then since they unbanned me and I'm guessing everyone but that place was already dead, the last few times I've tried going is a huge mess of a site, I can't use the forums because of all the added crap that no one wants to use.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

things i learned the hard way. when a place has mods as bad as some of the users you are not fond of, that choose sides and call names just as easily?
Best to avoid contact.....the ONLY place i've been banned, for pointing out that the mods where not doing their jobs, and if they'd just prune members who constantly cause problems, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself so many times.... was one of those times.

At that point i was ready to leave anyway if the wrong thing happened..so i was rather grateful in the end.... once i got over the witch hunt feeling of it all..took a while since i was there for 7 years with no problems. sigh

but sadly lots of places are getting like that now adays, and you can't escape it, which is probably why message boards are going the way of the dodo..
Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #52
snake
Disgusting

The worst board I've ever been on was Jedi Council/TheForce.net.

What a sh*thole. Some of the worst, most uptight mods I've ever seen. It's basically reddit; since no one is allowed to speak their mind, you have this faux-niceness attitude going on and it's annoying as f*ck.

The best forums are the ones with lax or absent mods. Like here!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #53
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
things i learned the hard way. when a place has mods as bad as some of the users you are not fond of, that choose sides and call names just as easily?
Best to avoid contact.....the ONLY place i've been banned, for pointing out that the mods where not doing their jobs, and if they'd just prune members who constantly cause problems, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself so many times.... was one of those times.

At that point i was ready to leave anyway if the wrong thing happened..so i was rather grateful in the end.... once i got over the witch hunt feeling of it all..took a while since i was there for 7 years with no problems. sigh

but sadly lots of places are getting like that now adays, and you can't escape it, which is probably why message boards are going the way of the dodo..
You need a hobby outside of the internet, man. For real.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #54
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Yeah, Toonzone is pretty much a post apocalyptic barren wasteland these days. But the reason that I don't go there much is cause their system is ALWAYS having problems. They're the perfect example of what can go wrong with a forum upgrade.
i'm rather surprised they are still around. they where once the only game in town, now they have competition.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Toonzone used to be a great place to discuss western cartoons especially in the early 2000's. The whole DCAU board was active for all the DC shows and the Justice League and Teen Titans review threads went on for hundreds of replies.

We had TMNT 2k3 review threads there too when the show was airing, and a whole bunch of activity for all of Cartoon Networks shows there.

Toonzone sort of fell off a cliff around 2010, somewhere around that point it stopped being as active and now we're 7 years later. I only browse it to find out news about Young Justice nowadays.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #56
Prowler
Emperor

Some vBulletin forums nowadays have the like giving feature and also a reputation system. If you're suggesting updating the boards to include such features... probably not that great of an idea. The last thing these forums would need now would be tools that make circlejerking even more evident and easier to get away with.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #57
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I use the forum on my phone and I think it is perfect as it is. We're all quite old people here, we don't need social upgrades. The pages have a simple layout and load quickly, that's all we need.
I would not suggest to upgrade to a newer version unless some security problem starts to show up.
And now please get off my lawn
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #58
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm happy we have the drome at all and am content using it how it is.
Only on a couple of occasions have wanted to use a 'like' feature, save wasting space replying just cause you liked a comment, that being said the downside is it may discourage actual discussion and also can be used for liking jerky posts.
I don't feel a personal need to link here to social media to here either.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:00 AM   #59
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Only on a couple of occasions have wanted to use a 'like' feature, save wasting space replying just cause you liked a comment, that being said the downside is it may discourage actual discussion
I agree. This is a discussion board, we are here to talk. Everything that could prevent us from discussing or disincentivate the discussion should be left out of this place. A Like button is cool, I know, but this is not where it should be, that is not the form of interaction we really need here.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 AM   #60
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

an update would breathe new life into the forum, i've seen a lot of boards switch to XenForo (which is awesome) and people love it, and a lot more threads and discussions have been happening after the update.

I'd love to see XenForo here. Very modern, tons of features and extension options.

Also it looks really good on mobile. the drome is pretty bad on mobile... you can manage, but once you've seen some of what the newer forum software can do and how much better it works on phones and tablets, it's hard to go back.

see for yourself... two popular examples would be neogaf and resetera (regardless of if you like those communities or not, I'm talking specifically about the forum software)

Last edited by Zulithe; 01-14-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote