The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #81
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Bought it last week and two days ago I finally mustered up the courage to watch it.

As others have said, it's way more violent than I thought it would be, making it clear from the get-go that these aren't the Nicktoon 2012 Turtles, although it also was very obvious that looks-wise they were based on them. (Stocky Raphael, Lanky Donatello) A shame though that they hadn't used more familiar voice actors but I guess that's just budget issues making decisions here.

"EEYAAARGH! THIS HURTS, IT HURTS WAY MORE THAN I EXPECTED!"

One thing I always loved about the 2012 series is that they didn't pussyfoot around with how severe a mutation must feel to the one who's mutating. Another good example of that is in "City at war" where Karai changed into her Snake form and is seen convulsing as if going through a grand mal seizure.

So, I was going "They better not pussyfoot around in this movie" and I was not disappointed when seeing the mutations and hearing the persons who mutated screaming and crumpling up in pain.

I was laughing out loud with the mutated Elephant but when the T-rex appeared I was going "They overstepped it here."

The highlight would be Shredder, I loved the brooding, scheming quality they gave him and the fight against Batman was awesome.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #82
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
One thing I always loved about the 2012 series is that they didn't pussyfoot around with how severe a mutation must feel to the one who's mutating. Another good example of that is in "City at war" where Karai changed into her Snake form and is seen convulsing as if going through a grand mal seizure.

So, I was going "They better not pussyfoot around in this movie" and I was not disappointed when seeing the mutations and hearing the persons who mutated screaming and crumpling up in pain.

I was laughing out loud with the mutated Elephant but when the T-rex appeared I was going "They overstepped it here."

The highlight would be Shredder, I loved the brooding, scheming quality they gave him and the fight against Batman was awesome.

I'm glad they had that aspect in the 2012 version as well. I mean the Original Turtles the most painful and disturbing looking Mutation was the one used with Symore Guts AKA Mutagen Man. But most of the time the mutations just happen. The same thing with the 2k3 (and the original Movies), while the mutations are more gradual since Splinter mentioned in his explanation of their origin that he had carried the Turtles to his burrow for the night. Then the following morning he noticed that both he and the Turtles had grown bigger and that he also found himself growing more intelligent as days passed.

In the 2014 movie, we see their transformation take place. But the way the garbage around them shifts during the transformation suggests that their mutation took place over a matter of days rather than having it be sudden. And the whole thing sort of looks like it may have been painful, particularly since all four turtles are shown crying once the transformation was complete.
As in they felt weird and they were too young to understand why, so their natural reaction was to cry about it.

Even Bebop and Rocksteady when they transformed commented they felt strange.

I always saw the Mutations as painful since the bones, muscles, tendons, organs, and everything is stretching, shifting, realigning, or in some cases just melting back into the body. That naturally would be fairly painful...think something like an extream form of phantom limb crossed with the pins and needles feeling you have as a broken limb resets and knits back into place.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #83
pferreira
Foot Elite

Any idea why Kevin Conroy wasn't asked to voice Batman? This would have been the cherry on top.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #84
youhavemysupport
Thug

Wonderful movie, reminded me of Batman TAS. I hope they make a tournament fighter game based on this.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #85
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Did anyone pick up on the "Brundle-Fly" voice of Baxter? Clearly he was imitating Jeff Goldbloom!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #86
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Damn this movie was good. Had great action and humor, and I loved all the nods and Easter eggs in it.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #87
Icebot
Foot Elite

Just saw the movie. I enjoyed it, I’ve never seen any Batman tv shows or movies but it was still cool seeing them together.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #88
CyberCubed
Overlord

This movie is the pinnacle of the franchise since 2016. I'm also surprised how improved it was over the first IDW/DC Batman crossover. They kept all the best parts and left out the worst parts and then made it even better.

If they do a loose adaption of the second they could probably fix that too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #89
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I finally got around to watching this today and it was awesome. It started out a little slow at the beginning and I'm not a fan of Donatello's and Shredder's designs, but the ending battle totally makes the movie. I love how each of the Turtles is able to pair with each member of the Bat Family and even learn from each other along the way.

The level of violence totally took me by surprise because we rarely, if ever, see graphic deaths and blood in TMNT on the screen.

I watched the behind the scenes bonus features afterwards, and it's evident that this movie was a labor of love while giving homage to the source material. I definitely wouldn't mind a sequel.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #90
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Is a sequel more of a question of "when" than "if?"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #91
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Do we know sales numbers? If it did much better than their normal DTVs then yeah it'll happen. If it's the same # of units sold then who knows since they have to share revenue with viacom. If it was worse than that then no.

They usually do share data of how each of the DTVs sold so we should know eventually if it did well or not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #92
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Do we know sales numbers? If it did much better than their normal DTVs then yeah it'll happen. If it's the same # of units sold then who knows since they have to share revenue with viacom. If it was worse than that then no.

They usually do share data of how each of the DTVs sold so we should know eventually if it did well or not.
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Ba...9)#tab=summary

Seems to me it's probably on par with the recent DC DTV animated films.

You raise a decent point about revenue sharing, although it's possible they paid an up-front licensing fee in lieu of profit-sharing.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-12-2019 at 01:30 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

They most likely greenlit a sequel as soon as this came out given they need nearly 2 years to get it out.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #94
Vegita-San
Emperor

I'm finally getting to this. wanted to be able to enjoy it without anything else to worry about.

This is the first thing Turtles I've enjoyed in YEARS... almost literally since Turtles Forever, and Feels right. Minus the 'We should see other people' progressive joke that didn't need to be in there. in another time and place it would have been funny and didn't stand out like a sore thumb.

But, thankfully, this is as far from woke entertainment as one can get. and we finally have something that focuses on story and being fun again.

I'd like to see this team produce a more mature turtles series.
One that can last ten years and still feel fresh without constant reboots.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #95
AquaParade
Banned

It feels like everyone loved this but me. I never felt like I was the pickiest tmnt fan, and this is tight up my alley. Yet, I couldn't get more than 20 minutes in before tuning out.

Maybe I'll try again.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #96
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It feels like everyone loved this but me. I never felt like I was the pickiest tmnt fan, and this is tight up my alley. Yet, I couldn't get more than 20 minutes in before tuning out.

Maybe I'll try again.
Give it another shot. What exactly turned you off on it?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also don’t understand what could turn you off in the first 20 minutes, I was grabbed from the start
Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #98
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I mean, seeing Raph bust a thug's nose and actually blood spraying out near the beginning was enough to make you think 'holy ****, this is gonna be awesome'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #99
alien_ken
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Maybe I'll try again.
I did not really like it eighter so you are not alone
alien_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #100
AquaParade
Banned

At risk of sounding like I'm trying to piss on the parade, I think I was turned off by what I felt were some weak jokes, and the typical subpar animation by DC, despite noticing a few cool shots of Batman. It seems like they did try to get creative, even with the limited animation budget, which is appreciated.

Seeing Raph draw blood definitely felt good. I'll give it another shot and let you all know what I think.

For reference, when it comes to TMNT animation, I apprecite the 2k12 show, quite a bit for it's mix of humor, action, and serialized storytelling. I find the 2k3 series admirable for it's attempt to be faithful to Mirage, but too sterilized and compromised to be fully enjoyable. I like the original cartoon for it's lighthearted attitude, quirky soundtrack, and irreverant humor, but I don't have much interest in watching it outside of nostalgia sake.

I don't have any real interest in "Rise...", "Turtles Forever", or even half the episodes of the series in which I do enjoy. So I'd say I'm not an easy sell when it comes to TMNT cartoons, but I'm also open to seeing different sides of the franchise.

I guess my initial write-off was based off the fact that it felt a bit like TMNT 2k3 to me. A series which, while I 100% appreciate what they were going for, was more frustrating than satisfying, for me, due to limitations with censorship, budget, and runtime.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-22-2019 at 10:46 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote