The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #421
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrokuYoshiFilms View Post
I'm trying to head swap my Aprils but I can't seem to get the Space April head off. Can anyone that's done this successfully (keeping articulation) explain how they did it?
Have you dunked it in boiling water to soften the plastic?
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #422
OrokuYoshiFilms
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
Have you dunked it in boiling water to soften the plastic?
Nah didn't try that one. I thought about it but wanted to see if there was another way first because I'm leery of ruining the figure... Never done the boiling water trick. How hot should it be exactly?
OrokuYoshiFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #423
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I'm trying to head swap my Aprils but I can't seem to get the Space April head off. Can anyone that's done this successfully (keeping articulation) explain how they did it?
Here's the page of this thread where gunstarheroblue posted a pic found on a Facebook group:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...56#post1543056

Also, this type of question might be a good fit for the "How does this toy work?" Catch-all thread I started:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54409

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #424
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Nah didn't try that one. I thought about it but wanted to see if there was another way first because I'm leery of ruining the figure... Never done the boiling water trick. How hot should it be exactly?
Literally boiling, it won't hurt the plastic at all. Have some tongs to pull the figure out and prepared, it will be hot. Though I have just used my hot tap water, but then again I installed a new hot water heater and the water gets scalding hot.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #425
Cartoon Fanboy
Hench Mutant

I have been thinking about customizing my own TMNT figures as well. I don't know when I will try this, but I know it won't be soon. Maybe I could add some extra articulations, extra paint, etc. Maybe also get a 3D printer to make my own figures. You know, figures for characters like Chrome Dome, Ms. Campbell, Creepweed, etc.
Cartoon Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #426
Powder
So tired of this place

Duzmachines84 only makes it look easy, trust me. As for 3D printing, the technology isn't there to make anything of real comparable value/quality to the official releases, & it won't be for several years. Not to mention you would need years of 3D modeling under your belt to even attempt at something poor, let alone decent.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 AM   #427
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The technology is here, it's just hella expensive. The printer I have is the XYZ Da Vinchi 1.0 3D printer, and it costs $500 (shipping was $600 extra...) and it's very grainy and at the moment is broken down. I managed to fix the first breakdown, but this one is a doozy and customer service is near non-existent.

My partner have made 1/4th scale weapons and almost finished a fully articulated 1/4th scale ball-jointed doll before it broke down, but to get the stuff smooth you have to by hand sand it down which is a lot of work.

You can work in a 3D program and have it printed by a 3D Printing company, but depending on how big the model is and how many parts, and material it can be very expensive.

The forums on The Fwoosh have a few 3D Printer guys that have made som awesome stuff like extra hands for SH Figuarts Mario/Luigi, and even fully articulated Ness and Ganondorf, and one of the guys have a Shapeways store where you can purchase 3D printed weapons, 6" figures and 7" figures, his skeletons looks amazing (you have to paint and assemble the figures yourself)

But soon. Mattel's Thingmaker printer will come on the marked as a 3D printer for kids costing iirc $300 which is an amazing price, it was shown at Toy Fair. So unless it's restricted to Mattel's pre made pieces you can print and do your own stuff, this might be the one to wa it for. Or get a printer that costs around $1000-$3000.

Plus you do have to have some knowledge and skills with a 3D modeling program, and have a basic understanding of action figure articulation, and if you want to print the joints or buy ball joints on eBay.

Start small, I never got to the printing process myself when I tried to make action figures out of the video game models from the Out of the Shadows game, cause the models are monstrous patch works of meshes, and it's not easy figuring out how to cut out articulation on finished made models.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:04 AM   #428
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

The forums on The Fwoosh have a few 3D Printer guys that have made som awesome stuff like extra hands for SH Figuarts Mario/Luigi, and even fully articulated Ness and Ganondorf, and one of the guys have a Shapeways store where you can purchase 3D printed weapons, 6" figures and 7" figures, his skeletons looks amazing (you have to paint and assemble the figures yourself)

Do you rebember the name of his Shapeways store?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #429
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
it's very grainy and at the moment is broken down. I managed to fix the first breakdown, but this one is a doozy and customer service is near non-existent.
That's the kinda sh*t I'm talking about, though. You have to put in a crap-ton of legwork just to get it smooth, & even then the pieces are often imperfect, inconsistent with production-grade plastics, or otherwise flawed. The technology to print something that is immediately as good (or close) as a Playmates figure is not quite there.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #430
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor86 View Post
Do you rebember the name of his Shapeways store?
yup, been planning to buy some of his stuff myself.

Strangefate's store
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/strangefate

here is also a thread with printed Nintendo figures.
http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic...3156&start=225
Ganondorf looks awesome.

Thingmaker's app have been available since last year and you can print out the action figures you designed intended for play.
http://thingmaker.com/design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That's the kinda sh*t I'm talking about, though. You have to put in a crap-ton of legwork just to get it smooth, & even then the pieces are often imperfect, inconsistent with production-grade plastics, or otherwise flawed. The technology to print something that is immediately as good (or close) as a Playmates figure is not quite there.
True, but that also comes from that Playmates figures are mass produced from molds, that was made from printed figures that have been cleaned up.

But the legwork is worth it, when you have a one-of a kind custom item, and you can print duplicates.

As long as you have a trustworthy printer of course, which XYZ da Vinchi 1.0 is not.

And of course have a better goal then trying to make your first 3D printed Action Figure from this mess...

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 03-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #431
TheMasterTurtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not true as I've been doing a lot of research for some personal projects of mine. Between the research and countless conversations with professionals the technology is there. Hell playmates prototypes they receive from Varner are 3D printed. I'll agree with you that the plastics aren't there but you can print in resin which is expensive but just about lossless with quality from the original 3D model.

Edit: if there is serious interest in custom figures. Who does everyone want most? I'll see what I can get done through some of my connections. Human Disguised Krang?

Do you have any Dinosaucers or a lead on where to get anything related to the show? PM Me Please!

Check out my collection!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=39766

Last edited by TheMasterTurtle; 03-23-2016 at 01:18 PM.
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #432
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterTurtle View Post
Not true as I've been doing a lot of research for some personal projects of mine. Between the research and countless conversations with professionals the technology is there. Hell playmates prototypes they receive from Varner are 3D printed. I'll agree with you that the plastics aren't there but you can print in resin which is expensive but just about lossless with quality from the original 3D model.

Edit: if there is serious interest in custom figures. Who does everyone want most? I'll see what I can get done through some of my connections. Human Disguised Krang?
Hell yeah that would be awesome!
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #433
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunstarheroblue View Post
Wow, that looks sharp! Now I have to buy two April figures. Playmates is run by evil geniuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Kakarot View Post
Get some customizer to give that a weathered, metallic makeover and a more Metalhead-lookin' head and it would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
The Fugitoid ship... obviously way too small.
I hope to get this, instead:

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #434
DVD
Mad Scientist

Playmates Classic line not dead.
Ok, I've been up to my ears in work recently, so please forgive me if this is old news.
Today I have these.

Secret of the Ooze Turtles from Playmates.
Essentially wave 4.
They boast an incredible array of extras, most notably the heads.
I know the PM classic line hasn't been everyone's cup of tea, but I like them for what they are: pretty articulate Turtles
in a decent scale for display.

On a personal note, I finally snagged the two 11" DX Turtles I needed to complete that set, so all in all, a mist satisfying Turtles day for me .
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #435
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Why can't playmates capture the likeness of the Henson turtles?
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #436
Powder
So tired of this place

Boy, Playmates suuuuuuucks. It's a great concept (multiple heads & film-related accessories) but so poorly executed... Their faces are abysmal. & why the hell are these obviously Secret Of The Ooze based figures skin colored coded? Even if their head sculpts were decent, that'd still strip them of their appeal.

Once again, these will bomb, & Playmates will think our market simply doesn't exist, rather than see/accept that the fault is theirs.

Nonetheless, thank you for the update, DVD.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #437
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I agree the head sculpts are meh but I love that Mikey comes with Combat Cold cuts
Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #438
DVD
Mad Scientist

I knew in advance that these wouldn't get much in the way of praise. Haha.
When I first saw the delivery, I thought it was an early release of the Neca/Bandai set...
I'm still up for these. Cost to me was just over £10 a figure.
I'll disappoint further, with more pics later !! Hahaha.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #439
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Thank you, Shanghai, for sharing that photo!

If the NECA quarter-scale figures weren't on the horizon I'd probably get these, if only to have someone custom-paint them for me.

I might anyway. Turtle fandom is a sickness.

But I also suspect I'll buy quite a few figures from the Out of the Shadows series, and on my budget, something has to give...
Old 03-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #440
DVD
Mad Scientist

I'm addicted.. Or something like that, for Turtles figures.
This new set might have to get cracked open and added to these guys, on a bigger shelf.