The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 10:19 AM   #7181
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
Also, I fell for their sales pitch of “empty lair to use as a garage for the Turtle van”
I set my 3-wide sewer+street displays up yesterday.

My justification for buying 3 was:
1) I would need a place to integrate the van on the shelf
2) NECA may never get around to making the kitchen (or if they do, it might be narrower meaning it wouldn't work under a street) or the lab
3) If they do make the kitchen and lab, I expect I'll have no trouble selling what I no longer need from these 3 for a good price
4) If they do not make the kitchen and lab, not only am I set, I also have several extra living room accessory pieces I can sell to recoup some costs

Firstly, the van barely fits inside length-wise because you can only put it in one very specific spot due to the fact that its tail fin runs into the pipes. And once it is in there, that's about all you can reasonably fit in there besides a small handful of figures to the left of it.

If you plan to put a street scene above, you cannot leave the pipes out to help with this, because one of them functions as a support for the foam top layer. Also note, MAJOR GRIPE, the pipe that extends up goes a couple hairs higher than the walls. That means the foam top sits unevenly on top. Putting a street dio on top weighs it down enough that it starts to settle (probably leaving a circular indentation in the foam over time, we'll see). But that would be pretty annoying if I were a fan who was just going to put figures right on top of the foam without any street dio --- it was way too uneven to achieve that, on all 3 sets. Might have to put something heavy-ish on top for a week to speed up the settling process if that's your situation.

What I ended up doing with the van was putting it to the far right, facing outward, which then means it extends out of the front but I put some precisely-cut cardboard underneath it to lift it up so that even though it is poking out and the front wheels are "floating", at least they are floating at imaginary ground level. I actually kind of like it that way, opens up a lot more of the room to serve as Donnie's temporary-or-maybe-permanent lab.

I don't have a ton of other gripes with the set, it's more or less what I expected. Other things to know:

1) If you put two next to one another, there is a small gap between the "doors" (sewer portholes) of each, because those don't extend fully flush all the way to the sides

2) It would have been nice if the sides could have been finished with brick pattern on the outsides too; the street scenes are, so as-is from the side it looks a little weird that the sewer is not

3) You can see that they designed it similar to the streets where each wall has several brick-sized holes in it that single bricks are shoved into, some of which don't have mounting holes in them for the signage and some which do.
But don't get excited, it isn't modular. They seem to be glued in pretty darn good in to the point where I stopped trying to get them out from fear of breakage. I wanted to move them around a bit so my rooms would be more varying from one another but that seems like a no-go. I assume this is how they will use the same part work to make additional rooms.

4) Did...we get gypped on some accessories? The box art highlights a fishbowl and a samurai statue sitting on the tables, and many more than just 1 VHS tape sitting around the TV. And I saw some "content lists" of the accessory set which said a stack of VHS tapeS (PLURAL!). But my accessory set only contained 1 tape, and these other accessories were not anywhere. Maybe these are "hints" at future releases (or maybe they came with something I already have but haven't opened yet???), dunno.

PRO TIP:
Do NOT insert the front left-hand side pipe support all the way into the hole; if you do this, your left wall will be pulled slightly inward instead of straight up and down and then it is a B*TCH (basically impossible) to pry it even a couple hairs out!

Last edited by DonnieLaForge; 01-15-2024 at 10:24 AM.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #7182
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I think they added from the accessory set and permutation set. I am glad it’s a lot less brittle than the street scene diorama.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:13 AM   #7183
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

3 living rooms? You’ll have to show us some pics when it’s all set up!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:20 AM   #7184
bac
Random Punk

Only one living room here. Fun to cram figures into. Zero regrets buying it, and will be buying Donnie's Lab without hesitation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240114_203239.jpg (100.5 KB, 57 views)
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:27 PM   #7185
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post
Listing page for Evil Rex is live. You can set a notification for when it's in stock.

https://www.target.com/p/neca-teenag...e/-/A-90787550
I am irrationally relieved to see he's part of the Sewer Hero Series (though I have no idea why), as I wanted to cap off my VHS box collection with the four re-release Turtles (and potentially a redone Shredder), but it would have driven my OCD crazy to have a gap in the volume numbers.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:11 AM   #7186
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Got my accessory set shipping notification today... in spite of receiving the package two weeks ago.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:26 PM   #7187
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Looks like they may have info on Donnie's lab soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2vTk-nOhuP/?igsh=MW9wejUzejZzNGUzdg==

Last edited by Y2Josh; 01-31-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:25 PM   #7188
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
1) If you put two next to one another, there is a small gap between the "doors" (sewer portholes) of each, because those don't extend fully flush all the way to the sides
Maybe an easy fix with a poster tube of the right diameter to join them? Cut it and make a slipjoint? Cover it in colored masking tape or paint it if you can't stand looking at it....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:12 AM   #7189
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I could certainly mod it to hide that, but I don't tend to go to those efforts. Displaying toys as they originally were is how I roll. But also such a simple thing should have been achievable for $300, you'd think.

What NECA should have done from the start is explain to people that this is the base diorama and there will be future "decor" packs to turn it into other rooms. Or even just a base sewer and the living room decor was separate. There's no reason it couldn't have been done that way. I wonder why they opted to do the more annoying and less financially sensible (for them) route. Would have sold way more barebones "sewer" dios, and it clearly was designed to allow swapping of bricks with peg holes around so you could have all brick if you wanted. Cost would have been lower, thus perceived as a better deal by everyone, and many more non-TMNT collectors would have been interested too. Logic of most toy collectors goes like this - "You want me to pay $300 for one single item?! GTFO! .... Ah, $200 for a sewer and $100 for a massive toon tmnt living room decor pack? I'M IN!" And that is a well known thing that they already manipulate. Plus I don't get the choice for the kitchen to be narrower, if that's the endgame still...I'd rather have it the same size for many obvious reasons.

There's a slight chance they'll surprise us all and sell Donnie's lab equipment as exactly that, an add-on to the lair. I would welcome that myself, but I don't expect it will happen.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:23 AM   #7190
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
What NECA should have done from the start is explain to people that this is the base diorama and there will be future "decor" packs to turn it into other rooms.
As common sense as offering various, emoting headsculpts with the original Turtles releases. Things like this are why I am so tired of the boutique toy market. It's shameless...
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:59 AM   #7191
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Finally got my Giant Mikey, is it just me or does he have a darker skin tone than the other three?
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote