The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
You said it, yourself, here that April from the FW cartoon should look like April from the FW cartoon. The notion that the Target 2 Pack line is nearly perfect is a fallacy.
Yeah, while I agree that they can IMPROVE the look of the line, I also think Neca’s worst is 10x Playmates best.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #22
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Yeah, while I agree that they can IMPROVE the look of the line, I also think Neca’s worst is 10x Playmates best.
It’s hard to say which company would do the FW toon fans justice at this point.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
It’s hard to say which company would do the FW toon fans justice at this point.
Like Hell it is. Playmates makes pure garbage. There’s no comparison to be drawn.

Post the best Playmates cartoon figure, side by side with necas cartoon figures. Let’s compare.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #24
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Like Hell it is. Playmates makes pure garbage. There’s no comparison to be drawn.

Post the best Playmates cartoon figure, side by side with necas cartoon figures. Let’s compare.
Toys from both are nothing like the original source, if you ask me.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #25
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Toys from both are nothing like the original source, if you ask me.
You don’t see a difference? Like legit, give each a mark, out of ten. I’m curious.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
You don’t see a difference? Like legit, give each a mark, out of ten. I’m curious.
Playmates: 1 out of 10 (the CC Michelangelo head sculpt was good)

NECA: 5 out of 10
Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Playmates: 1 out of 10 (the CC Michelangelo head sculpt was good)

NECA: 5 out of 10
Good lord. What’s 10?
Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #28
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Good lord. What’s 10?
Doesn’t exist. Gentle Giant should get the license for Cartoon turtles.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #29
mikey0
Foot Elite

BlackDots Super Vinyl Collectible Bebop and Rocksteady figures are the best looking ‘87 animated Bebop and Rocksteady toys I have seen anywhere.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #30
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
BlackDots Super Vinyl Collectible Bebop and Rocksteady figures are the best looking ‘87 animated Bebop and Rocksteady toys I have seen anywhere.
Interesting. Going to google it. Gentle giant is no more.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #31
TommyT
Banned

Not bad (Blackdots). The details are really soft though. They’re also a weird scale. Can youpost the image, I can’t
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #32
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Not bad (Blackdots). The details are really soft though. They’re also a weird scale. Can youpost the image, I can’t
Rocksteady:

Bebop:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #33
TommyT
Banned

No way Rocksteady’s head was that big in the show.

They do look like the cartoon, but the details are soft. I prefer the definition in the action figures from Neca, but ideally we’d have a better detailed hybrid version, both toon accurate with fine sculpted details.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #34
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
No way Rocksteady’s head was that big in the show.

They do look like the cartoon, but the details are soft. I prefer the definition in the action figures from Neca, but ideally we’d have a better detailed hybrid version, both toon accurate with fine sculpted details.
FW Turtles fans will never get perfect versions of their favorite characters from the syndicated and CBS Saturday Morning series. The 1990 Animation Art Cels are your best bet if you want to see the characters off the small screen.

The NECA Target 2 pack figures look too much like action figures when they should looked like the Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, and Space Ghost Coast Coast figurines from 14 years ago. I deliberately left out Aqua Teen Hunger Force from the Adult Swim line because darker black lines were used to highlight Master Shake’s eyes in the same vein as the black lines painted on the wrists and knees of the turtles in the Target 2 Pack line. All Cartoon Turtles figures should look as if they were 3D scans of the 2D characters. Exact carbon copies. Unfortunately, NECA does too much sculpting for the Target 2 Pack line.

Perfect FW Turtles toys will not ever exist. The Animation Art Cels are good enough in the place of them.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #35
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

Quote:
FW Turtles fans will never get perfect versions of their favorite characters from the syndicated and CBS Saturday Morning series. The 1990 Animation Art Cels are your best bet if you want to see the characters off the small screen.

The NECA Target 2 pack figures look too much like action figures when they should looked like the Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, and Space Ghost Coast Coast figurines from 14 years ago. I deliberately left out Aqua Teen Hunger Force from the Adult Swim line because darker black lines were used to highlight Master Shake’s eyes in the same vein as the black lines painted on the wrists and knees of the turtles in the Target 2 Pack line. All Cartoon Turtles figures should look as if they were 3D scans of the 2D characters. Exact carbon copies. Unfortunately, NECA does too much sculpting for the Target 2 Pack line.

Perfect FW Turtles toys will not ever exist. The Animation Art Cels are good enough in the place of them.
But the art cels are not action figures so saying that that is the best you Get is wrong.the arts cels are fine if you want some art from the show and can be better than posters etc but they can not replace action figures if that is wath you want and collect.the target 2 pack is the best toon figure that we got to date.they are perhaps not perfect but Very close.i think the lines is fine but i wish they did skip the 2 tone shading.also i do see you write that one thing wrong with the Neca toon figures is that they do not show teeth In the show but i did see the first 3/4 episodes and they do show teeth In the show so that is not something you can complain about.

Last edited by The Purple Dragon; 08-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Hard disagree. I definitely would not want less detail. Like Tommy said, the figures you posted are way too soft looking.

Bro, you need to recognize that your opinions are just your personal preference and not fact.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #37
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
-more-
You’re detail oriented, which is great. You have an eye for the little things, stuff many people don’t worry about.

It’s weird right, because the movie turtles are pretty damned accurate, scarily so, given they can’t scan the original suits, and just have old Photos to pull from.

You’d think the cartoon would be easier. We should have gotten exactly what was on screen, but maybe the real question is, what WAS on screen? The first mini looks different from season 2 looks different from red sky etc etc. The style changes when you really pay attention, and I’m sure you do. The neca toon turtles, they are very close to the model sheets. PCS has gone even closer, with sculptures that look a lot like the intro, but not exactly. They seem to have too much anime in them, overly large beaks etc.

But my man, Neca gave is something very close to what we’ve wanted. Maybe its the licensing angle you don’t get, but that IS THE PROBLEM. You’re ascribing choice, not thinking about the negotiations behind the scenes. Playmates has been very hostile, blocking this move for years.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #38
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purple Dragon View Post
But the art cels are not action figures so saying that that is the best you Get is wrong.the arts cels are fine if you want some art from the show and can be better than posters etc but they can not replace action figures if that is wath you want and collect.the target 2 pack is the best toon figure that we got to date.they are perhaps not perfect but Very close.i think the lines is fine but i wish they did skip the 2 tone shading.also i do see you write that one thing wrong with the Neca toon figures is that they do not show teeth In the show but i did see the first 3/4 episodes and they do show teeth In the show so that is not something you can complain about.
Even when the turtles showed the bottom row of their teeth, the faces were nowhere near being like the ones the NECA Target 2 pack. The Target 2 Pack Turtles are like a fuse of the original Playmates action figures, FW toon, and the 2008 Mirage Comics figures. As Tommy T was saying, April [and the other figures] should look right as if they came off the small screen.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #39
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
Hard disagree. I definitely would not want less detail. Like Tommy said, the figures you posted are way too soft looking.

Bro, you need to recognize that your opinions are just your personal preference and not fact.
The FW Turtles were less detailed than the 2k3 Turtles. Detail is not need for the Target 2 Pack figures.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #40
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
You’re detail oriented, which is great. You have an eye for the little things, stuff many people don’t worry about.

It’s weird right, because the movie turtles are pretty damned accurate, scarily so, given they can’t scan the original suits, and just have old Photos to pull from.

You’d think the cartoon would be easier. We should have gotten exactly what was on screen, but maybe the real question is, what WAS on screen? The first mini looks different from season 2 looks different from red sky etc etc. The style changes when you really pay attention, and I’m sure you do. The neca toon turtles, they are very close to the model sheets. PCS has gone even closer, with sculptures that look a lot like the intro, but not exactly. They seem to have too much anime in them, overly large beaks etc.

But my man, Neca gave is something very close to what we’ve wanted. Maybe its the licensing angle you don’t get, but that IS THE PROBLEM. You’re ascribing choice, not thinking about the negotiations behind the scenes. Playmates has been very hostile, blocking this move for years.
What model sheets? The ones used for the syndicated mini-series, syndicated series, Saturday morning series, or Turtles Forever?

I agree with you. From 1987 to 1996, there were too many different versions of the turtles. I think the ‘88 to ‘91 syndicated series Turtles would have been more recognizable. I think that’s what NECA was going for, but they missed the mark by trying to get the ADULT ACTION FIGURE COLLECTORS.

I would say the license for the original toon should go to Funko, so Funko action figures, like the ones for the Disney Afternoon, could be produced. Unfortunately for Turtles fans, none of the companies seem to have good material to base their collectibles off of. NECA appears to almost be going by the TMNT Retro Collection designs.

I still say NECA should discontinue the Target 2 pack line altogether. The wave 2 turtles of the Target 2 Pack line definitely resemble the Retro Collection turtles. If I were a NECA Cartoon collector, that would throw me off.

Perfect FW Turtles will not ever be made. Perfection does not exist in this world.