The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think any deviation in their skillsets or stats would come from their mastery of their preferred weapon (katana vs. sai, etc.). Meaning, Leo might be a little stronger than the others simply by the virtue of him dual-wielding two heavy katanas all the time (try that, by the way... it's super difficult). Their training would be identical.

They didn't, like, have different masters. Or train at different dojos.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think any deviation in their skillsets or stats would come from their mastery of their preferred weapon (katana vs. sai, etc.). Meaning, Leo might be a little stronger than the others simply by the virtue of him dual-wielding two heavy katanas all the time (try that, by the way... it's super difficult). Their training would be identical.

Exactly. Splinter is teaching them the same katas, the same exercises, the same everything. Except weapons techniques. And Leo probably pays more attention to the meditation stuff... he was the only one to attempt solo trips on the astral plane in Image. (Though all four Turtles ended up there to save Splinter, or Raph and Don ended up there when they were unconscious.)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, kinda dull to make them all cookie cutter.

Though valid reasons - be it cannon or simple assumptions that make sense - for different strengths is appreciated.

i.e. What might make Mikey the fastest? Maybe quick reflexes, but also paired with 'weaker' points of the others...? Raph might be bulkier and not built as much for speed. (More the bull in a china shop, so easy compensation.) The length of Donnie's bo and the way it's used may prevent equally quick action. Similarly Leo's swords are also large weapons, rather dangerous weapons with attention required to using two at once, and the danger of injury to self or allies should probably come with a level of caution that keeps his fight to only a reasonable speed. Mikey's weapons on the other hand can be stopped by him in a moments notice, are harmless out of use, and small enough to not be in the way if he quickly changes gears to hand-to-hand combat. Leo and Donnie inevitably lose time having to re-holster/sheath theirs, and the swords will never lose the need for cautious handling.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The internet is telling me that the average weight for a katana ranges between 800 to 1500 grams. Or... between 1.5 - 3 lbs.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #25
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

But they do have different talent/personalities/interest. Its like students going to the same class/subject and having the same teacher but getting different grades, some people are either going to put more into the work, having a passion for a certain subject, or have a natural talent for said subject.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
But they do have different talent/personalities/interest. Its like students going to the same class/subject and having the same teacher but getting different grades, some people are either going to put more into the work, having a passion for a certain subject, or have a natural talent for said subject.
You're thinking about human teenagers in high school and equating the Turtles to that.

Stop doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Exactly. Splinter is teaching them the same katas, the same exercises, the same everything.
Yeah, and find me four healthy, genetic brothers who do all of that, the exact same everything in the same gym every day for 15 years where it eventually emerges that different brothers end up radically different builds-wise, or anything.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I really don't think Splinter would tolerate Raphael slacking off and trying for a C- in Stealth, or Donatello struggling to get a D- in Combat.

Splinter is their father AND teacher. There is no escape... they will ALL be proficient at everything Splinter teaches.

I mean, I get the differentiation everyone else seems to favor, but it seems to me that too much emphasis is given. Like, the cartoons think that Donatello would get an A+ in Strategy and a D- in Combat, when really it should be a A+ in Strategy and an A- in Combat.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #28
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Or don't, because there's no reason not to.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #29
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You're thinking about human teenagers in high school and equating the Turtles to that.

Stop doing that.
Its a freakin analogy, my point is that just because they go to the same school and practice the same art doesn't mean they are the same when it comes to skill and combat. There are many factors that come to play.

@CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Well it kinda depends on what you see has D- or A-. I personally see the Donnie as being a B+ and Mikey being an A- when it comes to Martial Arts. I imagine all of them being all around "good" ninjas but some of them are better suited for some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, kinda dull to make them all cookie cutter.

Though valid reasons - be it cannon or simple assumptions that make sense - for different strengths is appreciated.

i.e. What might make Mikey the fastest? Maybe quick reflexes, but also paired with 'weaker' points of the others...? Raph might be bulkier and not built as much for speed. (More the bull in a china shop, so easy compensation.) The length of Donnie's bo and the way it's used may prevent equally quick action. Similarly Leo's swords are also large weapons, rather dangerous weapons with attention required to using two at once, and the danger of injury to self or allies should probably come with a level of caution that keeps his fight to only a reasonable speed. Mikey's weapons on the other hand can be stopped by him in a moments notice, are harmless out of use, and small enough to not be in the way if he quickly changes gears to hand-to-hand combat. Leo and Donnie inevitably lose time having to re-holster/sheath theirs, and the swords will never lose the need for cautious handling.
I also see their interest putting a factor in this. In most incarnations Splinter tends to give them some downtime and how they spend it effects what they are good at. I see Leo perfecting his Katas, Raph either working out or beating up some punks, Don studying or tinkering with machines and Mikey doing parkour or something.

Last edited by PApagreg; 01-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #30
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Like, the cartoons think that Donatello would get an A+ in Strategy and a D- in Combat, when really it should be a A+ in Strategy and an A- in Combat.
Thats more of what the Nick and 2003 cartoons did while FW Donatello was equal to his brothers on combat.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Leonardo is the most skilled and routined, but Michelangelo is the best allround fighter.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #32
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The internet is telling me that the average weight for a katana ranges between 800 to 1500 grams. Or... between 1.5 - 3 lbs.
Plus, being 23-30 inches in length. It's not only heavy to dualweild but also unwieldy, hard to control and you lose all versatility, ending up being super predictable in a fight. And being a two hand sword you don't cut effectively with just one hand.

Going by that alone, Leo should be the strongest, but not the best tactician or the sharpest tool in the shed

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 01-10-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

I don't see what's wrong with the Turtles not all having the same abilities and fighting skills or technique. I mean, I know they're all of the same height and I assume weight as well, but they have different personalities from each other, so naturally they're gonna approach battles differently. Just like in real life, everyone is different somewhat, not just humans but animals as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #34
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Mhmm. I mean, my sister and I were raised by the same people, and both learned what they taught us, but doesn't mean we turned out to be essentially two copies of the same person. In some ways, we couldn't be more different.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:52 AM   #35
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Thats more of what the Nick and 2003 cartoons did while FW Donatello was equal to his brothers on combat.
I don't recall when it was ever stated that he was the least skilled in the 2003 series.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 AM   #36
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I don't recall when it was ever stated that he was the least skilled in the 2003 series.
Sorry I meant it the other way around, Don was the least skilled in Nick while he was roughly equal in FW and 2k3.

There was that episode in the Nick toon where Raph and Leonardo were shown as superior fighters than Don and Mike, as far as the latter two being demoted to the B team.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #37
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Mhmm. I mean, my sister and I were raised by the same people, and both learned what they taught us, but doesn't mean we turned out to be essentially two copies of the same person. In some ways, we couldn't be more different.
Yes, but were you trained to kill the master of a ninjs clan?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Don't be silly, of course I was. Opportunities are just very scarce now that the market for evil ninja clan leaders has dried up. Something about some Turtles making the job unappealing, I dunno.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't even need to point out how painfully different the TMNT are from that scenario.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*shrug* Call it Mirage canon-based or whatever, your tunnel vision view of them is yours. Some don't ignore the peripheral.

Tags
#notmytmnt, plastron goes quiet