The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's the finale. Some people just don't like depressing or apocalyptic endings to kids shows, otherwise nobody would care.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

I'm cool with TMNT ending like this I rather enjoyed it a lot.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #23
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Word of God always loses to whoever owns the story, creators come and go but franchises continue, so whatever Nick decides would be the real deal. Now, Nick hasn't said anything so it's basically them giving their blessing on whatever word of god said, if it somehow changed then yeah, but it hasn't so far.
For this particular example it doesn't, right now Ciro has the upper hand, now if down the line Nick makes a continuation that directly contradicts the finale then yes, Nick has the final say, but right now, with the way things are, this is these Turtles future and the series finale, no ifs nor buts.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #24
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That's what I said.
Yeah, kinda noticed that AFTER I posted it lol sorry about that
Old 12-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #25
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's canon. Period. Some fans are just butthurt & spinning a theory to spare themselves the babyrage.
This. Deny all you’d like but this is how the story goes folks.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #26
JH24
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
It is definitely a better finale than "The Big Blowout". Some just want TMNT to end on happy fun times. Apparently Nick does.
It just that after five seasons and getting attached to the characters, I really wished for them to have a happy ending and growing old together.

But what also bothers me is that there's such a huge gap in the time-line between the series and the finale. (How much, 30-50 years?) It felt detached from the series. It could have easily used a mini-series to flesh out the years inbetween, to feel more of a connection to the characters in the finale, and not just going for a shock effect.

Before someone jumps on me, I agree it's meant to be canon. I can't deny that fact.

Last edited by JH24; 12-26-2017 at 10:18 AM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

There are a lot of shows out there that skip ahead decades for their finales just to show all the characters older.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
From a panel in October:

So the TMNT would be 21, in Ciro's proposed movie.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58950
I'm satisfied with the series as it is but I'd still rather have this movie happen sometime in the future.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
From a panel in October:

So the TMNT would be 21, in Ciro's proposed movie.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58950
Alright, sort of interesting I guess? Might just have ended up feeling like a pointless prequel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hopefully Nick changes their minds and let's Ciro make a movie a few years later as part of a "reunion" since all the kids who watched this show will be grown up.

Really like the ideal of some primordial Kraang, likely involving Fugitoid and possible time travel. Would be perfect to wrap up the show with.
Quote:
They did it for Rugrats and several of their other shows too.

It's one of the reasons I don't think we've seen the last of Ciro's incarnation of TMNT, even after the 2018 show starts. The 2012 series will also always be remembered as Nick's "first" TMNT cartoon, so it'll always stand out for that reason as well.
Yeah, no. It's dead, Cubed. They're not going to make a continuation when the plan is probably to reboot over and over. Being the first under Nickelodeon barely makes it more notable.

Even if they were to make more of this version, it's likely they would just ignore the apocalypse arc, it's what I would do. Hell, I might even take the step further and straight up negate it, just to mock it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Who knows, I'm just speaking hypothetically. I doubt Nick's first incarnation of TMNT will never be revisited. In fact I often say I think the 2018 show will eventually do a crossover with Nick's TMNT at some point later on in its run.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #31
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's the finale. Some people just don't like depressing or apocalyptic endings to kids shows, otherwise nobody would care.
Isn't it like a 'tradition' in TMNT shows though? Whatever happy times they might have now, their future is always destined to suck?

It kind of makes them depressing to watch.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #32
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Who knows, I'm just speaking hypothetically. I doubt Nick's first incarnation of TMNT will never be revisited. In fact I often say I think the 2018 show will eventually do a crossover with Nick's TMNT at some point later on in its run.
I'd just worry about how they would treat them in a crossover, otherwise I'd even take that if we aren't going to get a special or anything else.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #33
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH24 View Post
It just that after five seasons and getting attached to the characters, I really wished for them to have a happy ending and growing old together.
Life at best is bittersweet

We all do, but this is supposed to mimick life, not a fairy tale, living happily ever after isn't real, life sucks... and then you die, it's the whole life lesson of the TMNT.

And for all we know they DID end up growing old together, they're Turtles, they have long lives, they're only around 70 years old in the finale, pleanty of years left to live happily together.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I'd just worry about how they would treat them in a crossover, otherwise I'd even take that if we aren't going to get a special or anything else.
Assuming Ciro gets to write the crossover or co-write it, and all the voice actors return, it should be well done. The difference is this is the first time two incarnations of TMNT were made by the same company, Nick. The 2k3 series was by 4kids, and the original cartoon by Fred Wolf. So they were all different companies who got the rights of the TMNT IP from Mirage to develop a cartoon.

But nowadays since Nick owns TMNT 100%, it's basically their own series incarnations one after the other now. We'd also get to see the Nick Turtles in 2D, since the next cartoon is 2D. They'd likely look very similar to the comics based on the Nick show that IDW put out, so we already have an idea what 2D versions of the 2012 Turtles look like.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #35
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Life at best is bittersweet

We all do, but this is supposed to mimick life, not a fairy tale, living happily ever after isn't real, life sucks... and then you die, it's the whole life lesson of the TMNT.
How does it mimic life? Most people's lives (at least in the US) don't live out the rest of their lives in an apocalypse-type situation, and unless you come up with some serious bad luck, your life just tends to end in an ordinary fashion.

The only 'life lesson' I see coming out of the TMNT is no matter what heroics you try, no matter how many lives you save, or how many times you stop the villain, the planet and everyone on it will still end up a merciless hellhole and you will be unable, completely, to stop it.

There is no victory, there is no peace, and so there is no point.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #36
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Technically they did all they could and if they hadn’t gotten involved at all the world would have went to hell years ago. Personally, while I get the knee jerk reaction of wanting things wrapped up happily ever after, I love that they had the balls to tell a story like this. People complain about the turtles being treated with kid gloves? Well here you go!
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #37
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
How does it mimic life? Most people's lives (at least in the US) don't live out the rest of their lives in an apocalypse-type situation, and unless you come up with some serious bad luck, your life just tends to end in an ordinary fashion.

The only 'life lesson' I see coming out of the TMNT is no matter what heroics you try, no matter how many lives you save, or how many times you stop the villain, the planet and everyone on it will still end up a merciless hellhole and you will be unable, completely, to stop it.

There is no victory, there is no peace, and so there is no point.
That's exactly it, no matter how hard you try, **** happens and there's nothing you can do about it, there's no saving the world and make it a better place, the best you can hope for is to live your life the best you can and hope you get to live another day, but ultimatly in the end you die and that's it. You're not supposed to think of it as a perfect reproduction but as a metaphor for life and that even though the world sucks as long as you're with your loved ones it's all bearable.

The Turtles are not superheroes, they're not in it to save the world and to bring in peace, they're in for themselves, things always come after them, not the other way around, they only end up saving the world because they're trying to save themselves and the ones they love, so yes, there is a point, they're just "human", the best they can do is try their best, and sometimes your best is just not enough, and that's life for you. And like Kirby said, Life at best is bittersweet

Last edited by DevilSpooky; 12-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.
DevilSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 AM   #38
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

True, but this is also a show that features time/dimensional travel, magic, and aliens coming to visit. Whenever I've grumbled about some of this in the past, I've always been told that 'it's a kid's show, it can have that stuff.' So now all of a sudden it has to have a 'realistic' grimdark and depressing ending even though the whole show before that tried to show as much fantasticical, unrealistic and comidic (defended by fans) stuff as possible?

I could buy it if the whole show was more gritty and more like the Mirage comics, but it wasn't. It tried to be the 80's cartoon all over again to an insane degree, even going as far as including outright cameos by them and having Bebop and Rocksteady take over the spots of this show's original mutant duo. Eventually one might expect a more lighter ending rather then one that tries to be so 'grownup' and 'real' when the whole premise of the show was anything but.

I would also point out that they were not thinking only of their friends and family when they did all of that stuff through the show. If they were only thinking of them, they could have allowed Shredder's mutagen bomb to explode and left the falken canisters because it would have spawned more mutants, because that would have allowed a chance for their rat father and mutant friends to walk more openly in daylight, because they then would not then be the 'only' mutants that existed in the city. They did it for the people, they weren't only thinking of each other. They also could have avoided helping anyone in trouble, but they chose to assist rather then stay 'safely' in the shadows.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #39
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
True, but this is also a show that features time/dimensional travel, magic, and aliens coming to visit. Whenever I've grumbled about some of this in the past, I've always been told that 'it's a kid's show, it can have that stuff.' So now all of a sudden it has to have a 'realistic' grimdark and depressing ending even though the whole show before that tried to show as much fantasticical, unrealistic and comidic (defended by fans) stuff as possible?

I could buy it if the whole show was more gritty and more like the Mirage comics, but it wasn't. It tried to be the 80's cartoon all over again to an insane degree, even going as far as including outright cameos by them and having Bebop and Rocksteady take over the spots of this show's original mutant duo. Eventually one might expect a more lighter ending rather then one that tries to be so 'grownup' and 'real' when the whole premise of the show was anything but.

I would also point out that they were not thinking only of their friends and family when they did all of that stuff through the show. If they were only thinking of them, they could have allowed Shredder's mutagen bomb to explode and left the falken canisters because it would have spawned more mutants, because that would have allowed a chance for their rat father and mutant friends to walk more openly in daylight, because they then would not then be the 'only' mutants that existed in the city. They did it for the people, they weren't only thinking of each other. They also could have avoided helping anyone in trouble, but they chose to assist rather then stay 'safely' in the shadows.
I was refering to the franchise itself, not this show in particular...

But that's the thing, they felt an obligation to stop Shredder and anything related to him, and the canisters was their fault, people would suffer for something they did and they where honor bound to fix it and they always help people if they can, but never if it risks themselves.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #40
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I never watched tmnt to learn some sort of life lesson.

I'm open to both happy and bittersweet endings, as long as they are entertaining.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote