The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #61
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Um, not to nit-pick, but the character is Rick Hunter, and he was hardly Asian. He is shorter because he was a teenager! He even has blue eyes! Hubby is a big Macross/Robotech fan. It's also an American anime. Hikaru is just the name they use in the Japanese version. Minmei and her family are the only major Asian characters!
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #62
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm pretty certain it's stated that Hikaru Ichijyo is Japanese in Macross, whatever a mishmash show otherwise state is kinda moot, cause it's a different canon. It's like claiming Boi the Tiger Ranger in Super Sentai Zyuranger is a woman cause the Yellow Ranger is in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #63
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
The Macross/Robotech series (and movies) was produced by Harmony Gold USA, under American producers, director, and even the creator- who died not too long ago. The Japanese version is NOT the original, and in fact Rick Hunter is supposed to be from the midwest, where he was a pilot for a flying circus! He's not Japanese. He and Roy flew in the flying circus together, and Rick often called him "big brother"! Rick's dad was in US Navy, and later adopted Roy after his best friend (Roy's father) died. It's even in the stats on the official figures, which mentions Hunter having black hair and BLUE eyes. Having dark hair and being shorter do NOT make him Japanese- he was a dark-haired AMERICAN teenager! This is canon! (The Japanese version is not considered canon by the creator, btw....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 08-12-2019 at 10:57 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #64
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Huh, I didn't know Robotech which came out in 1985 and is a show created by mixing SDF Macross, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross into one cartoon, is the original over Macross that predates Robotech by three years.

Very interesting.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #65
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
The Macross/Robotech series (and movies) was produced by Harmony Gold USA, under American producers, director, and even the creator- who died not too long ago. The Japanese version is NOT the original, and in fact Rick Hunter is supposed to be from the midwest, where he was a pilot for a flying circus! He's not Japanese. He and Roy flew in the flying circus together, and Rick often called him "big brother"! Rick's dad was in US Navy, and later adopted Roy after his best friend (Roy's father) died. It's even in the stats on the official figures, which mentions Hunter having black hair and BLUE eyes. Having dark hair and being shorter do NOT make him Japanese- he was a dark-haired AMERICAN teenager! This is canon! (The Japanese version is not considered canon by the creator, btw....)
It's nonsense is what it is.

Wikipedia clearly states Studio Nue originally pitched Macross in 1980 and ended up being distributed by Tatsunoko. The show aired it's first episode on October 3rd 1982 and it's last on June 26th 1983. The only mention of Harmony Gold is that they licensed Macross a year after it concluded. Nue and Tatsunoko's involvement was either omitted or downplayed in the credits of Robotech, but that was very common for American editions of foreign media (even my modern DVD sets of Dragon Ball uses credits that mostly note Funimation staff).

The only thing about the Robotech version of Macross that is "unique" are episodes of two unrelated shows and an OVA that have been edited to seem like a continuation of Macross, none of which have been proven to have been produced with the intention of export or involvement with Americans either. There is are two entirely original movies produced under the Robotech title, but both were made well after Macross and the other projects concluded their respective runs.

It's also worth mentioning that Harmony Gold have the license through Tatsunoko, while Japanese court has declared Nue to be the rightful copyright holder of Macross. The various Macross projects made since the original series and the movie weren't made with involvement from either Tatsunoko or Harmony Gold, nor do they have any claim to distribution of them. HG have been known to enforce counterclaims on anyone else trying to license Macross, which worked but are kind of questionable. To claim Harmony Gold's involvement is anything other than producing derivatives is nonsense.

How did you get that wrong? I'm sorry this post is so long, but it's a well known controversy and it's very clear that American involvement is just licensing at the end of the day. Getting back on topic, it's very clear that Hikaru is Japanese and that "Rick Hunter" is just the result of a very liberal translation.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #66
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Okey, yeah, I looked it up, and you're right about the dates. However, the fact remains that he IS confirmed to be American both in the RT series and in the English dub of Macross, and grew up in the US. (Even the island the Macross crashed on was implied to be in Hawaii and there were references to the "mainland", ie, the US, where the UN Spacey was headquartered.) Also, while names were changed, even Claudia (who is black!) had a "Japanese" name in Macross, so.... there ya go. Then again, they tend not to even distinguish American/European characters, even by name (since most characters have Japanese names regardless of ethnicity or country of origin), much less appearance. (Max, another character, had blue hair, and Miriya, a Zentradi alien, had green! Neither of them is Japanese, but both had Japanese style names in Macross, but not in RT.....)

I mean, you COULD argue he was Japanese, but with Claudia, that entire line of thought falls apart. For that matter, so does L(M)isa, who is a dark blonde or light brunette, and also just as clearly not Asian at all. But she has a "Japanese" name in Macross!! (Which is very obviously a loose translation of the English name, but whatevs.)

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 08-13-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #67
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Claudia don’t have a "Japanese" name, though. It’s written in katakana
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #68
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Was referring to the list of characters in the SDFM cast, which has her as Kurodia Rasaru, rather than Claudia Grant.. In any case, hers is just an example of characters being given Asian-style names in spite of, y'know, not actually being of Asian ethnicity. In any case, the point of all this was that anime characters in general tend to be labeled as Asian no matter what their actual origin, so going by the character's individual name, face-shape or hair color really doesn't mean anything. (Not when so many have racially unusual or even unnatural colors.... Or when black/dark hair can be found in nearly EVERY ethnic background.) Eyes, on the other hand? Probably a better point to measure by. How many green or blue-eyed Asians do we ever see? Aside from that one time Jack Burton encountered one.....

Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #69
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

So y’all think Taskmaster is gonna be the only villain or is there gonna be another
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #70
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
So y’all think Taskmaster is gonna be the only villain or is there gonna be another
IDK too much about him. Is he a boss type or a hired gun type?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #71
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
IDK too much about him. Is he a boss type or a hired gun type?
In comic books he is a mercenary.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #72
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Was referring to the list of characters in the SDFM cast, which has her as Kurodia Rasaru, rather than Claudia Grant.. In any case, hers is just an example of characters being given Asian-style names in spite of, y'know, not actually being of Asian ethnicity. In any case, the point of all this was that anime characters in general tend to be labeled as Asian no matter what their actual origin, so going by the character's individual name, face-shape or hair color really doesn't mean anything. (Not when so many have racially unusual or even unnatural colors.... Or when black/dark hair can be found in nearly EVERY ethnic background.) Eyes, on the other hand? Probably a better point to measure by. How many green or blue-eyed Asians do we ever see? Aside from that one time Jack Burton encountered one.....
First off, Grant is a name given to her in the dub, in the original it's LaSalle. More importantly however, the Kurodia Rasaru spelling is just a result of a flaw in the Japanese script. Simple sounds like Clau, La and Le aren't really found in the Japanese language, Kuro, Ra and Aru are about as close as you can get.

This: クローディア・ラサー
Is essentially written like this: [Ku][Ro][Di][A] [Ra][Sa][Ru] (The brackets imply one letter).

An example relevant to this thread, Scarlett Johansson is written as スカーレット・ヨハンソン, which becomes Sukaretto Yohanson.

So no, it's still pretty clear that Hikaru is Japanese. I'll admit it's unusual that he has blue eyes but the point that Roy looks distinct from him still stands.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #73
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

And to add on Neato’s comment, Claudia LaSalle’s name is written in katakana which is the letter system used for borrow words, foreign words and names. While Hikaru’s Name is written in kanji: 一条 輝 (Ichijō Hikaru)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #74
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I was figuring a rival Black Widow for a second villain.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #75
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
In comic books he is a mercenary.
Hmm so in that case the real villain might be evil business man # 12 and Taskmaster might be hired when his regular goons can't handle the Widow.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #76
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I was figuring a rival Black Widow for a second villain.
Seems like a safe bet.

I think the even bigger question is, will there be any type of modern-day framing device in this story or will it be a pure flashback, set entirely in the late 90s or early aughts or whenever it’s set
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Seems like a safe bet.

I think the even bigger question is, will there be any type of modern-day framing device in this story
I'm betting on "yes."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #78
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Seems like a safe bet.

I think the even bigger question is, will there be any type of modern-day framing device in this story or will it be a pure flashback, set entirely in the late 90s or early aughts or whenever it’s set
I would say there's no way they don't frame it, but they didn't frame Captain Marvel at all. Finally watched it last night, BTW. I was unimpressed; it was fine.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #79
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Captain Marvel didn't need a framing device because she was going to be in Avengers Endgame anyway in 2 months. And it did have that scene at the end with her answering Fury's call in the present (that, surprisingly to me, didn't reappear in Endgame's running time).

The way I see it, with Black Widow dead... the reasoning behind making her solo movie now can't just be to "make good" on never doing one before. It's got to set up something happening now, or in the foreseeable future. Maybe it's something as mundane as "The Skrulls, Chapter 2" by showing the evil ones and all that, but I don't think so. I also don't think it's just to introduce a new Black Widow. And if they're doing "big female Avengers" movie or whatever, they'd be remiss not to include her.

Totally random possibility but what if she befriends a particular Skrull in her movie in the recent past and then we revisit Vormir with Black Widow's body laying there in the BW movie... and her face morphs into a Skrull's?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #80
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Totally random possibility but what if she befriends a particular Skrull in her movie in the recent past and then we revisit Vormir with Black Widow's body laying there in the BW movie... and her face morphs into a Skrull's?
That would bother me. The Soul Stone was supposed to be somewhat conscious. Being able to manipulate and control souls, I would hope it knew which souls it was controlling. So just disguising someone else as someone you love is kind of cheap.

As much as I like the character, I was thrilled that death took this time. It wasn't something she "got better" from.

Tags
black cuckow, sjw is the new 30