The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, but it still sets a precedent. My point is that it's not an entirely new concept for the TMNT.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
AceDuck
Mouser

I’m sure most grown up fans know they are not the main audience, but I don’t see why they (we) aren’t allowed to say what we think. Myself, I want the TMNT to be a up there with the best of DC and Marvel. For that to happen, it needs to keep building a fan base.

I don’t mind the premise of the show, but I believe the art style will turn off just as many youngsters as us old guys. To me, this is the cartoon equivalent to those terrible Mark Martin comics. But I’ll gladly be proven wrong.
AceDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #23
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Easy solutions... the kids get one show on Nickelodeon and the adults finally get a live action/CGI action series based on the IDW comics on Netflix. Problem solved.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #24
shihe
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post
Easy solutions... the kids get one show on Nickelodeon and the adults finally get a live action/CGI action series based on the IDW comics on Netflix. Problem solved.

That would be awesome. But not gonna lie, I'd watch both. Can't get enough TMNT.

Based on IDW would be spectacular!

Here's another idea.
Have a Casey Jones spinoff series on Netflix. To expand the TMNT universe lore a bit, when you take the Focus off the Turtles, Splinter and Shredder.

Could be about Casey vs the Purple Dragons.
We could have another one about Bishop.
Or even a Karai Netflix series!

There's only enough times you can tell the Turtles origin stories in a single decade.. so moving to other character would be great to bring attention to the franchise.

Last edited by shihe; 02-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.
shihe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I honestly would not watch a spin-off that the Turtles aren't a big part of...

As it is, when I come across portions of TMNT comics online it tends to bore me if too much is focusing on other characters. I like TMNT for mah Turtles.

Definitely agree and wish for a second, simultaneous series for older audiences though. (I could be willing to pay for Netflix in that case.) And how many times do I have to suggest and ask of the world to make the Turtles a bit older and just continue their story/lives rather than reboot endlessly. There is practically a whole blank slate for the most part with tons of open space for all new places and adventures to take them in life as young adults. Why are makers too afraid to embrace this. Put good writers, etc at the helm who can do them justice and there is little to fear. Do it well enough and you may even pull in people who hadn't been paying TMNT much attention before and they get hooked simply on a good show; whether or not it pushes them to check out other stuff.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Speaking of IDW, it's been going on for 7 years now. How likely is it that it'll influence Rise in some way?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 AM   #27
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
I'm on board with this idea.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Main problem is at our age, we shouldn't care. Let the kids have their show and when they get older they can research older versions if they want.

We're supposed to be kinda like 'oh, a new tmnt cartoon. Neat. I remember watching them as a kid' and carry on with our adult lives.

I'll always like my 80s collection, read IDW, probably play the games and watch future live action movies, but other than watching the first ep or 2 of Rise, I'm jumping out of the Cubed Train and switching to Casual Lane.

I love the turtles, I'll always will, but I'm not gonna be like 60 and arguing about why Don's mask is the wrong shade of purple in the 10th version of the series.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Main problem is at our age, we shouldn't care. Let the kids have their show and when they get older they can research older versions if they want.

We're supposed to be kinda like 'oh, a new tmnt cartoon. Neat. I remember watching them as a kid' and carry on with our adult lives.

I'll always like my 80s collection, read IDW, probably play the games and watch future live action movies, but other than watching the first ep or 2 of Rise, I'm jumping out of the Cubed Train and switching to Casual Lane.

I love the turtles, I'll always will, but I'm not gonna be like 60 and arguing about why Don's mask is the wrong shade of purple in the 10th version of the series.
I don't understand this way of thinking. Many adults watch cartoons and always will. While it's true all shows are aimed at new kids first and foremost, they also know they'll have an adult following due to the brand.

It's the same thing with Star Wars and any other franchise that spanned generations. It's aimed at both new kids and adult fans.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't understand this way of thinking. Many adults watch cartoons and always will. While it's true all shows are aimed at new kids first and foremost, they also know they'll have an adult following due to the brand.

It's the same thing with Star Wars and any other franchise that spanned generations. It's aimed at both new kids and adult fans.
I would argue that Star Wars is more all ages with kids in mind for toys than things like kids cartoons.
As you pointed out with a franchise like this you'll have fans from various ages.

I don't think I personally know any adults who watch kids shows unless through their children (or have not said they do anyway,) but obviously yes a some do, look at the net.

Last edited by newfan; 02-13-2018 at 12:30 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Red face

Quote:
I don't understand this way of thinking. Many adults watch cartoons and always will.
But they don't devote their lives to it, or defend it to the high heavens when they come across a casual or someone with differing opinion.

Tastes change man. I find much more excitement in seeing the Black Panther movie or how Dragonball Super will end rather than another episode of the turtles, even if Nick didn't end and they had a 6th season.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #32
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I know a lot of adults who watch cartoons, but yeah...if it's something that just suddenly stops appealing to them, they just stop watching.

And depending on how fanatical they are, they might retreat into fanfic should the itch for that particular property need scratching.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Which account for maybe about 0.5% of their ratings and 5% of toy sales. These cartoons are made or broken by whether or not the latest generation of millions of little kids care, not 30 or 40 year-olds. If they can squeeze in some adult stuff (and they will, because the people working on these are 30, 40 year-olds who were Turtle fans once) great, but that wouldn't remotely be a focus or even a required bullet point.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #34
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which account for maybe about 0.5% of their ratings and 5% of toy sales. These cartoons are made or broken by whether or not the latest generation of millions of little kids care, not 30 or 40 year-olds. If they can squeeze in some adult stuff (and they will, because the people working on these are 30, 40 year-olds who were Turtle fans once) great, but that wouldn't remotely be a focus or even a required bullet point.
As I was walking around a Toys R' Us closing sale this weekend, I was curious about how a nationwide decline in sales of traditional "toys" and action figures might impact the future of children's cartoons.

BTW, that 16" combining Voltron set is mighty sweet!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Tastes change man. I find much more excitement in seeing the Black Panther movie or how Dragonball Super will end rather than another episode of the turtles, even if Nick didn't end and they had a 6th season.
Dragonball Super is aimed at kids too, along with adult fans. The entire relaunch of Dragonball since Kai came out was made to refresh that franchise for a new younger generation of kids. And if you think most fans never obsess over Dragonball, you've obviously never been to kazenshuu or any other major Dragonball community. They're having mental breakdowns over power levels debates in Super and all the lore changes from DBZ, like how 17 can somehow be so strong or Roshi, or we now have 3 new Super Saiyan forms. It's the same for any franchise.

Quote:
Sure. But as said, the people writing the stuff now were the once fans. It's the same thing as modern Star Wars, all the modern stuff is now written by the original fans who grew up with the original stuff, hence the "published fanfiction" feel every new thing has.

All the 30-40 year olds in Hollywood today were all the kids from the 80's or 90's grown up, and now they're essentially taking all the big franchises they grew up with and making them their own. It's the same thing as the way people made stories playing with their TMNT or Star Wars action figures when they were 8 years old, or making their edgy fanfiction when they were teenagers, now they can make all that stuff a reality.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #36
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Dragonball Super is aimed at kids too, along with adult fans. The entire relaunch of Dragonball since Kai came out was made to refresh that franchise for a new younger generation of kids. And if you think most fans never obsess over Dragonball, you've obviously never been to kazenshuu or any other major Dragonball community. They're having mental breakdowns over power levels debates in Super and all the lore changes from DBZ, like how 17 can somehow be so strong or Roshi, or we now have 3 new Super Saiyan forms. It's the same for any franchise.
I don't go to those forums so that idiocy escapes me. I just watch what I watch and fanbase be damned.

Sure I'll play the tmnt whenever I get Injustice 2 but I'm jumping ship at Rise. I honestly don't have time to tune in or will go out of my way to see.

I consider DBZ and anime in general as a different thing. Even if it's aimed at kids most amime handle topics and themes that American kids would either find boring or not have the patience for.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Sure. But as said, the people writing the stuff now were the once fans.
But not the people at the TOP, top, the ones actually funding these things and employing those writers. Their hard line is always going to be "How do we reel in the maximum number of little tykes?" And if ever the writers' wishes in any way compromise that, even potentially, the writers are going to lose and be sticky-noted into submission.

For example, I'm certain Ciro only got to do about 20% of what he actually wanted to in the Nick cartoon for this very reason.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Well, I can't see arguing things to that extent, but even at 60 I hope I at least still include the fun stuff in life that I still love, and not only boring "adult" things. Having TMNT to debate (said debate doesn't always have to be serious) kind of helps counter balance the common "adult" debate topics like politics and personal finances... ew.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #39
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

People were freaking out before 2012 started too, once the show comes out I'm sure there will just be those who love it and those who are indifferent to it.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #40
sdp
-

I love what Rise is going to do but come on, I don't blame people not liking it since it reeks of executives/playmates trying too hard to sell toys and appeal to kids, this is no different than The Next Mutation or the countless of revivals we've gotten in the past to bring new blood into the franchise.

Same as the Red Sky season or Fast Forward and even The Next Mutation, only difference here is they made a new show instead of completely changing the 2012 show but the results are going to be the same. Remember He-Man in Space from The New Adventures of He-Man? Or CG Voltron 3D copying Power Rangers?

I thought the designs looked awful, like those "let's make it realistic" fan art we see but in motion it looks amazing, I would kill for a movie that had the turtles like that.
Quote:

For example, I'm certain Ciro only got to do about 20% of what he actually wanted to in the Nick cartoon for this very reason.
Counting his horror fetish, it's probably a good thing.

Executive meddling in shows can sometimes be a good thing, a nice balance usually gives the best results.

Last edited by sdp; 02-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
note to self