The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Eh, I guess so. I mean, yeah the vengeance angle is the whole point, but it seems a waste to not make the fight with him last a bit longer. But it will be an uphill battle to sell another 'TMNT vs Shredder/beginning' story to the public. It can be done, but it won't be easy. And then getting them to come back after he's killed off for good, that'll be no small task. The first movie will REALLY have to grab people if you're going to retell the Shredder vs TMNT/first meeting storyarc all over again.
Remember how everyone was skeptical of Daredevil on Netflix? Then they released kickass trailers?

Same solution. It's not a problem.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
4Kids Baxter has plans of his own, he's arrogant and plays an active role throughout, not to mention a backstory that informs who he is. OotS Baxter laughed all the time for no reason and was essentially just there to push buttons on a console, that's the difference.

It's honestly shocking that you don't see any important difference.
I don't see the difference. Both Baxter's had their own evil intentions, both wanted to become famous, both were arrogant. The difference is one was jolly jerk, the other was an angry jerk.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

You're all greasin my wheels with all this talk of Triceratons, City at War, and a badass Saki.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-20-2017 at 08:09 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #44
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Eh, I guess so. I mean, yeah the vengeance angle is the whole point, but it seems a waste to not make the fight with him last a bit longer. But it will be an uphill battle to sell another 'TMNT vs Shredder/beginning' story to the public. It can be done, but it won't be easy. And then getting them to come back after he's killed off for good, that'll be no small task. The first movie will REALLY have to grab people if you're going to retell the Shredder vs TMNT/first meeting storyarc all over again.
While many consider him the big bad of the property, it's possible to do a movie without him and execute it right. Joe Chill is hardly used in Batman, for the guy responsible for murdering Bruce Wayne's parents.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #45
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

If you don't want him as the big bad of the first movie just allude to him as the guy calling the shots in NYC and the main villain of the first movie just answers to him. Or was just funded by the Foot.

2nd movie is a toss up on whether you want the Turtles to face Shredder and lose or Win? I'd say lose and the separation of Splinter can set up the space arcs while the Turtles spend some time in Northampton before returning to NY to defeat him.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #46
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Yeah, setting him up in the first one does make sense. Use small fry like the dragons for film one, to give the Tmnt their first victory. Movie two shredder literally destroys them after they come after him to fulfil their mission, and they flee to Northampton to recover. Movie three is your return to NY, and they finally slay him. Movies post trilogy go 'what do we do from here?"

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-21-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #47
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah, setting him up in the first one does make sense. Use small fry like the dragons for film one, to give the Tmnt their first victory. Movie two shredder literally destroys them after they come after him to fulfil their mission, and they flee to Northampton to recover. Movie three is your return to NY, and they finally slay him. Movies post trilogy go 'what do we do from here?"
Then while the Turtles are in space on Earth you can show how the foundation of NYC is starting to crumble because of the Turtles killing Shredder. April and Casey's relationship (assuming you have them hook up in the first place?) begins to show it's cracks. I would end this with a somewhat happy note like the first one.

5th movie (round of applause if we make it this far) Have April already in California and she recaps the events as to why she is there. 2nd time around gets destroyed by rogue Foots seeking revenge on the Turtles making April cut ties with them. retreating to their lair The Foot follow them and try to cave them in separating Splinter for the Rat King story while the Turtles go to the surface at this point Stockman a new player makes his move and the Mob, Purple Dragons and the Foot all utilize his tech to gain the upper hand while he sits back and makes money off their misfortune. Eventually Karai arrives to help the Turtles gain control.

I didn't include Casey in this heavily as I want him to disappear from the narrative for this one movie and the next one focusing on him trying to piece together his life like April and Turtles before ending with him returning to NY with Shadow (Because the Mirage comics shouldn't be the only version she appears in)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #48
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Not everyone fan wants gritty and hard violence so I think you just highlighted why fandom can't get behind one concept.
I don't he meant FULL grit and hard violence hence the PG-13 rating
Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #49
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
You know what? I've been on the fence for this for years. But recently, I've been coming more and more of the opinion that the fandom needs to unite behind a single concept for a TMNT reboot. I know we all would like our own little ideas on what a TMNT movie should be. Well, I think we should all try to push the powers that be with a single vision for Ninja Turtles; a gritty, hard, edge of the line riding PG-13-film trilogy, based on Mirage, with martial arts, vengeance, and violence.

Why am I, an avid IDW/Archie fan who's been indifferent to Mirage, pushing for something based (mostly) on the source material? Because I'm sick of the maltreatment of the turtles. I hated what bay did to them, and something based on the original comics would at least be entertaining, and a step up from four Shreks who learned martial arts from a book. And what of the goal of getting the Fred Wolf characters in a film? As bad as the movie was, we got that goal, mission accomplished; Krang, Rocksteady, Bebop, and Vernon have made it to the big screen. We can always pull those DVD/blu-rays out, and see our favorite childhood characters now, and nobody can take that away. Now, it's time to bring some dignity back to the TMNT, and I think Mirage might be the right way forward.

The time is ripe; next years new cartoon might reignite TMNT interest, and it's painfully obvious Micheal Bay and Platinum Dunes have washed their hands of the franchise after OOtS tanked. We know there are people from Viacom watching this board. If the fandom could put aside the 'I want the movie based on this version, I want a movie based on that version!" And try to present a single list of wants for a tmnt film, there is a small, thin, slim chance something might tickle back to the bean counters in power? Now, would something like that change their mind? Of course not! The online fandom is a tiny sliver of their profit margin, it's money that talks to those people, action figures and merchandise. But if a small number of voices could get them glance in that direction, we might all get what we want; box office profit from the adult TMNT fans from a martial arts flick, and toys and merchandise and fast food kids meals from the cartoon.

So, let's see a mirage vol.1 inspired film trilogy. Give us an expanded origin, return to New York, and city at war. Work in Baxter and his mousers, work in Rat King, and Work in Leatherhead somewhere (heck, have him take Zog's place in RtNY, I don't care) The masks? Avoid the whole question, make them black, or something, or whatever. Borrow from other versions if it enhances the story, like reincarnation from IDW. But make a TMNT movie that feels like TMNT, and make it GOOD.

Look, I know this post probably won't unite this fandom, and it probably won't have any affect at all. For making this post I will probably be laughed at, insulted, or worse. I made this post for myself, to get this off my chest after all the arguments, the flame wars, and crud I've seen go on in this fanbase, while the studio churned out two cruddy movies. I'm not a plant, I don't have an agenda, and I don't' care if there are already a million threads talking about this I could've posted in. I wanted to say my piece on the subject of TMNT movies, and I have done so. So in short... I've changed my mind, and let's all unite for a TMNT based on the original work. That is all.
I'm totally behind this, I'm so glad someone else thought about this as well and brought it back it up. I remember the rumblings people brought up online when the first Bay Turtles film was coming up....having a united fandom front definitely helps out a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's all fine with me.

Me, I'd be grudgingly OK with the rainbow bandannas (pick your battles, you know, though the last thing TMNT on the big screen needs is a half measure... it needs to go all-in to escape the gravity well of the PD films' brown hole) as long as there's at least a bit with the all-reds.

i.e., big battle scene and the Turtles put on all red bandannas. They're whooshing around a factory/warehouse, trying to get the drop on a room full of like 20, 30 guys. Lights are flickering. The Turtles keep, I dunno, popping out and throwing shuriken at the bad guys (think, the dock scene in Batman Begins, but shuriken and blood and weapons strikes instead of fists and rope). It starts to go on a bit, and the bad guys really freak out, seeing all these red bandannas popping up, disappearing, and popping up again... "How many of them are there??" "I think I got one... sh**, there he is again!" "What happened to Larry? Where'd he go?" "There's ****ing HUNDREDS of them!!! GAHHH!!!" "AHHH!!!" Until they're all picked off.

I think that could be pretty awesome.
I would love the red bandanas to be a mainstay but I think with the way the franchise has gone the multi-colored ones are a must just for them to be recognizable to the masses.

Quote:
Personally, I'd love to see Leatherhead, rat king, Hun, and a properly done Karai and Baxter as characters in movie one and two, With shredder being a big bad, giving orders and sending the foot out, until he has the fight with the TMNT at the end of the third film. Give hints of his prowess in the first two films- show him fighting in the flashbacks with Yoshi, and sparring with the foot, before breaking him out as a total beast in movie three.

No matter if the franchise is grim and gritty or not, Shredder will ALWAYS be seen as the big bad of the franchise. He should be held off for a big finale, tying up the circle, and bringing vengeance for the death of Yoshi and Shen. You can always follow that with a 'city at war', but he should be given a proper multi-movie buildup.
I agree, Shredder is a definite must.....if only for the first film. I do sorta appreciate what the OoTS sorta did with him in the second film....sorta if only because they were beginning to look like they were going to do a thing with him and Krang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Of course I can get behind this. There's no guarentee we pull any weight, but there's always a chance to have your voice heard and considered.

My hope right now is for "R" rated films like Logan and Deadpool to have a large "gravitational pull" on the film industry, which even has some effect on properties usually considered for children.
Sure, it may not lead to an "R" rated TMNT flick, but I imagine there will be some type of reverberation that could reach Viacom. A wake up call that audiences can handle a little more grit.

As for taking action, I'm really not sure what we can do other then taking the time to tweet Viacom, Nickelodeon, etc. You hear more and more these days from companies who claim they are "listening to the fans" and "checking the forums". That's one way to go.
I seriously hope the "R" rated movement has some pull on this. I understand wanting to appeal to younger fans on this but come on. I seriously hope the companies keep tabs on forums like this....they better at least.

Overall I think the theme so far on this thread is "we need to keep shredder" at the very least as an element or some sort of shadow on the franchise. A trilogy for sure, and a "City at War" movie or aspect to that trilogy.
For sure the movie aspect of this needs tending to, especially with everything going on with Marvel and DC.....I wouldn't think this should be too far fetched.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
I seriously hope the "R" rated movement has some pull on this.
There will never be an R-rated TMNT anything. But there doesn't need to be. A PG-13 pushed to the max is more than sufficient.

Which is sad. I was so excited to see that TMNT 2014 would be the first TMNT movie to garner a PG-13... and they didn't even do anything with it. I'm sure OotS did even less with it, since they don't use their weapons.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #51
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
There will never be an R-rated TMNT anything. But there doesn't need to be. A PG-13 pushed to the max is more than sufficient.

Which is sad. I was so excited to see that TMNT 2014 would be the first TMNT movie to garner a PG-13... and they didn't even do anything with it. I'm sure OotS did even less with it, since they don't use their weapons.
Wow, really? Nothing with it? They gave us a totally cool boner joke, what more do you want??
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #52
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:

Oh I don't want to be R-rated either to be honest. TMNT 2014 was disappointing that they didn't do anything meaningful with the canvas they had...I agree wholeheartedly on that. I suppose I just hope that if they ever do more movies and hopefully a trilogy that the "R rated movement" in hollywood has some pull in that they don't constrain the vision of the Turtles to be too campy or try to only appeal to one audience (i.e. kids)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #53
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Basically, what I want from a new TMNT movie is a darker, grittier and more violent martial arts movie. It doesn't have to be R-rated, that will never happen, but at least give me some awesome, well-coreographed martial arts fighting scenes. They're ninjas after all. And have the Turtles speak Japanese!

When it comes to what version should be adapted, Mirage always springs to mind but I'm a really big fan of what IDW are doing with the story. I think City Fall is an amazing story arc that could be adapted in one movie, and Old Hob is an awesome villain/anti-hero that could really lift a few eyebrows. However, since TMNT is seen as a kids property to non-fans I think there needs to be some references to the cartoony sides of TMNT as well, but not entirely. I wouldn't mind a COWABUNGA moment just for the sake of it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a quadrology of films (cause there are four Turtles). I'm thinking the first movie could be an origin movie, the second City Fall, the third Return to New York, and the last City at War. I'm focusing on story arcs that takes place on Earth cause I think including all the alien stuff would perhaps be too much?

Something I would greatly appreciate is some deeper character development. Michelangelo goes through depression in the comics, that's a perfect way to explore his character as he's generally the "happy" guy in the team, it would make a great contrast. Also explore their relationships to one another, what relationship does Raph and Don have? Focus on the Turtles and make their personalities more realistic, and not extreme stereotypes.

When it comes to other characters there's a lot I'd like to see. Splinter is a no-brainer, April and Casey should be there but I think we could spare them for one movie. I think Oroku Saki would make a better overarching villain than Shredder, as he could be an awesome business man and clan leader at the same time. Apart from those I wouldn't mind seeing Karai, Baxter, Alopex, Leatherhead, Hun, Slash, Old Hob, Agent Bishop, Mondo Gecko, Nobody or Rat King to name a few.

As long as they make a movie that gives us some awesome martial arts scenes, where they embrace the Turtles's Japanese legacy and explore their personalities on a deeper level, I'm all in.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #54
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filespit View Post
Basically, what I want from a new TMNT movie is a darker, grittier and more violent martial arts movie. It doesn't have to be R-rated, that will never happen, but at least give me some awesome, well-coreographed martial arts fighting scenes. They're ninjas after all. And have the Turtles speak Japanese!

When it comes to what version should be adapted, Mirage always springs to mind but I'm a really big fan of what IDW are doing with the story. I think City Fall is an amazing story arc that could be adapted in one movie, and Old Hob is an awesome villain/anti-hero that could really lift a few eyebrows. However, since TMNT is seen as a kids property to non-fans I think there needs to be some references to the cartoony sides of TMNT as well, but not entirely. I wouldn't mind a COWABUNGA moment just for the sake of it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a quadrology of films (cause there are four Turtles). I'm thinking the first movie could be an origin movie, the second City Fall, the third Return to New York, and the last City at War. I'm focusing on story arcs that takes place on Earth cause I think including all the alien stuff would perhaps be too much?

Something I would greatly appreciate is some deeper character development. Michelangelo goes through depression in the comics, that's a perfect way to explore his character as he's generally the "happy" guy in the team, it would make a great contrast. Also explore their relationships to one another, what relationship does Raph and Don have? Focus on the Turtles and make their personalities more realistic, and not extreme stereotypes.

When it comes to other characters there's a lot I'd like to see. Splinter is a no-brainer, April and Casey should be there but I think we could spare them for one movie. I think Oroku Saki would make a better overarching villain than Shredder, as he could be an awesome business man and clan leader at the same time. Apart from those I wouldn't mind seeing Karai, Baxter, Alopex, Leatherhead, Hun, Slash, Old Hob, Agent Bishop, Mondo Gecko, Nobody or Rat King to name a few.

As long as they make a movie that gives us some awesome martial arts scenes, where they embrace the Turtles's Japanese legacy and explore their personalities on a deeper level, I'm all in.
Greater character development should be the number 1 thing in any of their movies. The 2007 movie be as it may be I think had some character development that redeemed it, the PD movies had very little of it and any time they did it, it just felt very forced.
I thought they did martial arts in the last two through motion cap though am I wrong?