The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #321
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It was a magical time, depending on your age. Starlog Magazine and Fangoria, and so on on the shelves and you could cruise through malls hitting the bookstores eating up little morsels about new films and sequels that may or may not happen (the same for video games and video game mags). Then coming back next month, looking for the next issues to get more info.
Absolutely. I must have been 14 when I first read about the planned Nic Cage Superman film - I was so excited and it was like one sentence on a fanletter page in a Superman book. And then a month later you got even more excited, just from reading another sentence like that (Batman might be in it!!!).

You're right, those days were magical.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:35 PM   #322
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I watched the "Rise" film two weeks ago and it was good!? I had never watched any episodes of the show but I stumbled upon a trailer and thought it looked interesting. The film itself had great animation and some convincing character moments, Leo's arc worked really well. Sure, the plot is the most basic time travel stuff you could imagine but it worked. I didn't like their version of April (annoying!) and Raph's voice actor but that's pretty much it on the negative side.

The Rise movie was actually pretty good. The series itself was a mixed bag, basically a lot of comedy/filler eps where nothing much happens and the Turtles and the villains are treated like slapstick most of the time. But the tail-end of the show had some interesting stuff, I quite like the Season 2 finale where they delve into Karai and the history of the Foot Clan and the ancient demon Shredder.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:59 AM   #323
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Make Leo an simp for Karai is always a bad idea. This always become a plot armor to keeps Karai alive. This also make Leo's code of honor a joke. That's why Leo can't protect his family because it's him who keep making same foolish mistakes that put his life and his family in danger.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:58 AM   #324
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have no interest in seeing gay or lesbian mutants in TMNT. Seeing mutant animals paired up in general borders on furry territory so it's bad enough as it is, but making gay or lesbian mutants is even worse.

I don't mind for the human characters but even there for something like TMNT it's pointless. Like if Baxter Stockman is gay in a future version would anyone even care or want to see that? I guess not. Karai being a lesbian I can go for only if her girlfriend is hot and feminine and not a butch lesbian i.e. either fat, masculine or having short hair.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #325
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Karai being a lesbian I can go for only if her girlfriend is hot and feminine and not a butch lesbian i.e. either fat, masculine or having short hair.
If they 'have' to go there, Karai doesn't look like the submissive type. Her girlfriend would be the hotter feminine one.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:00 AM   #326
Stu_Padasso
Foot Soldier

I actually like the character of Jennika, I just think they’re pushing her too hard and she’s replaced the roles of other characters like Alopex who’s supposed to be the cool new female ninja and April who’s supposed to be the older step-sister and guide to the human world for the turtles.

Likewise, I also like the whole Mutant Town concept because it offers new story possibilities but I don’t think it’s being well utilized in the ongoing well with it’s crowded character roster and “Battle of the Bands” fluff stories. If you’re going to bring in ideas like mayoral elections, then set out to finish them. It would be better off as it’s own satellite title similar to how it was done in the Jennika minis.

I like the turtles having different colored mask, but it doesn’t make sense for them to be wearing them when they’re not in the field.

On a similar note, I don’t mind seeing Donnie wearing glasses, just stop using those big ugly birth control glasses. Give my man some nice wire frames.
Stu_Padasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:13 AM   #327
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I have no interest in seeing gay or lesbian mutants in TMNT. Seeing mutant animals paired up in general borders on furry territory so it's bad enough as it is, but making gay or lesbian mutants is even worse.

I don't mind for the human characters but even there for something like TMNT it's pointless. Like if Baxter Stockman is gay in a future version would anyone even care or want to see that? I guess not. Karai being a lesbian I can go for only if her girlfriend is hot and feminine and not a butch lesbian i.e. either fat, masculine or having short hair.
It's fine if the turtles' love story ends in tragedy. Their lovers were killed in front of them, or the turtles was betrayed by their lover.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #328
Torterra
Foot Soldier

1) Like what they did with 2012 Casey having him build some of weapons like the shock glove, pop out roller blades and fire cracker pucks. Really makes me want to see future interpretations of Casey do that gives them a better edge in combat than just whack this huge mutant or alien that bigger and stronger than me with a plain old hockey stick.

2) I don't mind the de-aging of April and Casey It would make sense for the turtles who are suppose to teenage to hang out with other teenagers. If I had to put at a certain age range for them I would have had them be around 18 - 19 years old. That way they are still older than the turtles but young as well as like junior or senior year of high school age.

3) I don't think a fifth turtle is bad idea sometimes depending on who it is and how they are written I think they could work and it could make for a interesting story or series.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:08 PM   #329
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, this is probably the most unpopular opinion I have that people seem have the easiest time arguing against because it's not really also an objective flaw (unlike some other things I could mention):

April O'Neil should not be a news reporter, I'm pretty sure the only reason people care about it or act as if it's a good idea is because it's one of those things they remember from their childhood and don't really want to question. I've seen people claim it "gives her more to do" or that it somehow makes her more relevant to the stories, but it really doesn't, at best it's an illusion. I mean think about it, what does her being a reporter actually bring to the table?

You could argue that her being a reporter is what got her attacked and rescued in the Fred Wolf cartoon, 1990 movie or the 2014 movie... But she didn't need to be a reporter for it to happen in the 4Kids cartoon, the 2012 cartoon, the IDW comics or Mirage obviously. Hell, come to think of it, what does the reporter angle even accomplish in the movies after that point? She runs off to hide on a farm until the end of the first movie where she gets the job back right at the last moment, in the second movie all it does is have her report on TGRI (which wouldn't really change the story if it was a random reporter with zero connections to the Turtles) and in the third one it means nothing because she's stuck in the past.

The part she had in the second movie really highlights a problem with April being a reporter, why the hell does the reporter character even need to be a supporting character as well? If all the character does is provide news the Turtles need to investigate, why not just have it be some random incidental reporter who shows up to deliver exposition? Do the Turtles really need to hang out with such a character? And what does the Fred Wolf even use the character for when it's not just glorified exposition? It just makes her an easy target for the villains, that's it.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 04-04-2023 at 03:58 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #330
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

With all respect to my girl Judith, I don’t disagree, and I feel like that’s why 2k3 April stands out to me the most as the April who best compliments her turtles.

Judith’s character comes in a close second though. Even as I type that, it feels wrong, lol.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:32 PM   #331
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
- I like TMNT III more than Secret Of The Ooze.
- IMO, IDW TMNT is tremendously overrated.
- I like The Hyperstone Heist way more than Turtles in Time.
- I like the first NES TMNT game.
- Jim Lawson's art past Return To New York is TERRIBLE.
- Bebop and Rocksteady should have remained in the 80s where they belong.
- Mirage = 1990 Movie = 2003 Cartoon > all the rest.
- I'm getting pretty sick of this recent trend of making the Turtles look as drastically different from each other as possible.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"

Last edited by Anarchistguy; 05-10-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:38 PM   #332
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

The Last Ronin was a 5/10 book. Nothing more. People act like it was the second coming of Christ.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:54 PM   #333
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Last Ronin is definitely a bit overrated, but it's still good. The art is fantastic, it's a nice future elseworlds TMNT comic and it's fairly well written.

But yeah, the people acting like it was the second coming or the best TMNT story ever produced is really odd. I also have no idea why it sold as well as it did especially to casual fans, like it shocked me it did so well.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:10 PM   #334
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ronin definitely came out at a good timing to be well received, what with Nick pushing deeply kiddie angles and IDW turning some off with its Mutant Town era.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:07 PM   #335
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Ronin definitely came out at a good timing to be well received, what with Nick pushing deeply kiddie angles and IDW turning some off with its Mutant Town era.
That, and it had a strong start. The first issue was by far my favourite. Plus no one knew who the Ronin was at the time so that could've also played into the hype.

As well as advertising it as the ultimate Turtles story that was 30 years in the making by the original creators, which was a huge lie.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #336
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
That, and it had a strong start. The first issue was by far my favourite. Plus no one knew who the Ronin was at the time so that could've also played into the hype.

As well as advertising it as the ultimate Turtles story that was 30 years in the making by the original creators, which was a huge lie.
Karai is killed by her son because he "suddenly" discovers that he doesn't actually love his mother. Hiroto is blown to death by his own nano machine armor. These really ruined the climax.

They should really let Mikey kill Karai and Hiroto himself. Mikey stab Karai to end her life while Hiroto cries like a dog.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #337
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
Karai is killed by her son because he "suddenly" discovers that he doesn't actually love his mother. Hiroto is blown to death by his own nano machine armor. These really ruined the climax.

They should really let Mikey kill Karai and Hiroto himself. Mikey stab Karai to end her life while Hiroto cries like a dog.

The whole climax was such a letdown.

Hiroto was a lame villain and him killing his mom for dramatic effect was so stupid. The whole story tried way too hard to be a Dark Knight Returns clone.

But even though I didn't like it, I'm still glad it sold well, because it shows that people want gritty Turtles again.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:14 AM   #338
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
The whole climax was such a letdown.

Hiroto was a lame villain and him killing his mom for dramatic effect was so stupid. The whole story tried way too hard to be a Dark Knight Returns clone.

But even though I didn't like it, I'm still glad it sold well, because it shows that people want gritty Turtles again.
I still think Mikey should live. He may become Splinter and training Marie and other human student as vigilantes. Or leave New York and live an idyllic life of a hermit because revenge is over and he's tired of killing.

It doesn't make sense that April and Marie have to create another new mutant turtles. Why is the city need another ninja turtles? There is no need to force these new turtles into the fate of the previous generation of turtles.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #339
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

I think IDW Casey should have died in the City Fall arc. At least better than they ruined him after 50 issues. This also may gave Hun a better character and story development. Let the Turtles and The Foot never really reconcile. Even in magic traing arc, Raph will definitely refuse to be Shredder's apprentice, and seek to become stronger in his own way. It also reminds Shredder that some of his mistakes can never be undone.