The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 11-19-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Unhappy 'We're Not Monsters'

Like most people, I have mixed opinions about Out of the Shadows but there is one scene that I absolutely love and think merits watching even if you dislike the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnG0TTHB4bs

It's a really sad scene, I especially feel bad for Michelangelo (is it me or does it look like he's tearing up a little?) especially the way he tries to explain that they're good.

What makes it more heartbreaking is the later scene back at the lair. While Leo and Donnie are having a go at Raph, Mikey is just trying to process what just happened. He says to Splinter 'they were't just scared, there was actual hate'.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the line and his delivery makes it sound like he can't comprehend the concept of hating someone based on their looks. He can understand the fear but not the hate.

Last edited by DisKosh; 11-19-2016 at 04:42 AM.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I don't have sympathy for rapists.
Seriously, in the first movie he tried to lure April with Orange Crush© soda and commented on his growing dick while he was around her. No wonder people fear the turtles; they're abominations of nature and creeps to boot.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Seriously, in the first movie he tried to lure April with Orange Crush© soda and commented on his growing dick while he was around her. No wonder people fear the turtles; they're abominations of nature and creeps to boot.
He never raped her so he's not a rapist but yes, his behaviour around her was extremely creepy. He was much better in this film though.

Also, while I agree they look scary, they are meant to look scary. In every version people (as in characters) are scared by them. Even in the comic book issues (Souls Winter I think it was) where they're drawn realistically they look a bit creepy. In fact, I kind of like it because it puts us in the shoes of random people seeing them for the first time.

(Though what I really dislike about the designs is the mouths, they look too human).
Old 11-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

They aren't meant to look scary, necessarily. No one looks at the Fred Wolf turtles and says, "What freaks!"
No one gags when looking at the 1990 turtles either.
These soulless CGI behemoths you see in the Bay films are frightening. One interesting thing about TMNT is that the reader/viewer never is afraid of them; they know they're good warriors at heart. I however find myself terrified whenever I look at the BayTurtles because they look like the stuff of nightmares and aren't endearing at all: not in looks nor actions.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
He never raped her
Not on-screen.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Honestly, this is kind of in poor taste. You're talking about rape.

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Not on-screen.
Naw, April realized she was being played by Megan Fox and just rolled with it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I actually really liked that scene, and to everyone still complaining about their designs, they are much better in oots than in the first film, and I don't think they are really that bad in themselves, except for some of the fan made costumes of course.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, that's kind of a sad scene. Seeing that film, my mom decided that Mikey is her fave and I have a feeling that scene in particular did it. Pulling at the heartstrings is at least a good attempt to gain audience empathy for the characters. I think that kind of made my mom see them as people for once, rather than just 'talking animals.'

Actually, Leo is there when Mikey is talking to Splinter about it, but runs off a moment later to be alone because he's so disgusted with the whole incident that just happened, which won them that comment in the first place. I'm sure that comment very much hurts all of them, but different priorities over different concerns and of course Mikey wears his feelings on his sleeve more than the others.

When they meet the cops later and Leo repeats it, saying that some might call them monsters, I wish he'd have eyed the guy who said it in the first place just to put maybe a twinge of guilt in him then or for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
except for some of the fan made costumes of course.
Er, yeah... I've seen pics of some that were pretty well done, but they're the minority and many others who, no offense intended toward them, just should have saved themselves the trouble and perhaps stuck with the classic designs.

I know I've said it a number of times before, but still imo they're not so bad in the right moments, esp in better lighting. Hard/heavy shadows are not flattering on them at all, so I'm glad the second film had them in less darkness and we get a better look at them before these films called it quits, even though being out in the daylight is in conflict with their intended lifestyle.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Mikey was kind of a creep in the first PD film. But , man, in that film, not only was Mikey obsessive towards April and making sexualized jokes, but I also dislike how April is portrayed, as sort of this ditzy girl, who the men in her life drool over, and is sort of played up for sex appeal. Even though the sequel was far tamer with Mikey, April was still sexualized.

Even though Michael Bay was just the producer on these films, this is something I notice a lot in his films. "Locker room" type humor. Woman who are there just to look pretty. And goofy and gross people just being goofy and gross. And a lot of that did filter into TMNT.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Alas, another PDMNT thread has backfired.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This thread should be locked.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, that's kind of a sad scene. Seeing that film, my mom decided that Mikey is her fave and I have a feeling that scene in particular did it. Pulling at the heartstrings is at least a good attempt to gain audience empathy for the characters. I think that kind of made my mom see them as people for once, rather than just 'talking animals.'
That is precisely why I love this scene so much. I've been into sci-fi and fantasy for a long time so seeing non-humans as people is second nature to me but I suppose if you're not used to it, it can be difficult. The great thing about this scene is it really 'humanized' the turtles and the great thing about the movie is how it deals with their identity without humanizing them too much.

Could it have done better? Sure, but this is what we have and we can appreciate it for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If you don't like this movie that's cool, there's no need to lock a thread because you personally don't enjoy the topic.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why?

I totally forgot about this bit. It was an ok bit and yeah it's quite sad, Mikey's delivery of that line was well done. With the 2014 and 2016 movies it's a shame we remember the action sequences more than we remember moments like this.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Out of all the scenes in the movie, this one stuck out most. Maybe because moments like this are frequent in the 'don't judge by appearance' genre and I happen to like a lot of stories that fall into that category.

You're right about his delivery though, not only the spoken words but the motion capture animation helped too. I don't know if it's just me but it looked as though he was about to cry.

Bottom line: I wanted to enter the movie and hug him.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Man, ya take a week and a half off from the forum and ya miss so much!!!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

Bottom line: I wanted to enter the movie and hug him.
I agree.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #18
THGhost
Puppet Master

1. I agree, this was a good/sad scene.
2. This thread should probably be locked, or have all the rape comments removed. Seriously, wtf?

Quote:
If you don't like this movie that's cool, there's no need to lock a thread because you personally don't enjoy the topic.
He was probably referring to the rape comments.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
1. I agree, this was a good/sad scene.
2. This thread should probably be locked, or have all the rape comments removed. Seriously, wtf?

He was probably referring to the rape comments.
That makes sense, but wouldn't it be better to remove those comments seeing as the topic itself doesn't relate to rape in any way?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I don't know if it's just me but it looked as though he was about to cry.
I'd thought so too, like the eyes are just a little damp.

Definitely a better depiction of him than the first. (Note, that does not necessarily imply accuracy, just lessening of cringe factor.)
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monsters, rape