The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #101
ToTheNines
[sic]

Well, yeah. Don't do ****ing crack or meth, and definitely don't drive.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #102
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Mine were strict as hell too, as far as movies and tv went. And I turned out to be a huge pervert, cuss like a sailor, love gay people and experiment with drugs.

Shoulda let me watch Titanic like all the other second graders, assholes!
I don't curse much compared to many people out there. Sure I do curse but that don't tend to be the first adjectives that coem to my mind when I describe something.

I don't think I hear my mother cursing/swearing more than 5-6 times per year. No exaggeration.

Some of my older relatives don't/didn't like gays much and also talk(ed) smack about other races, namely blacks. I think that's common among older folk.

I honestly have never seen Titanic to this day.I just wasn't interested in that movie. But really, you weren't allowed to watch it? I thought that movie was appropriate for pretty much everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've never done drugs, don't see why people bother when you know it'll screw you over.
I think TTN is not referring to the heavier ones such as coke and heroin... at least I hope he isn't.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Eh, I dunno. My parents let me watch whatevs and I still kinda turned out like you.
Yeah, I was always allowed to watch R-rated stuff. It just wasn't a big deal.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #104
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I honestly have never seen Titanic to this day.I just wasn't interested in that movie. But really, you weren't allowed to watch it? I thought that movie was appropriate for pretty much everyone?
Yes, the movie that discussed the topic of a horrific accident where thousands of innocent men, women, and children suffered terrible deaths is appropriate for pretty much everyone. With a week-long romance between two teenagers defying classism. And ending up with a nude charcoal painting. And sex in a car.

Okay, but I actually did see Titanic fairly young, but that was in 2004, when I was in fourth grade. At my grandma's house on VHS.
And that spawned a massive obsession with wanting to know what really happened, but I'm not sure how much stuck back then. I probably know more now than I did then.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #105
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yes, the movie that discussed the topic of a horrific accident where thousands of innocent men, women, and children suffered terrible deaths is appropriate for pretty much everyone. With a week-long romance between two teenagers defying classism. And ending up with a nude charcoal painting. And sex in a car.

Okay, but I actually did see Titanic fairly young, but that was in 2004, when I was in fourth grade. At my grandma's house on VHS.
And that spawned a massive obsession with wanting to know what really happened, but I'm not sure how much stuck back then. I probably know more now than I did then.
But are those death and sex scenes explicitly shown on screen? Because in some anime and cartoons people die as well. Kids also watched DBZ on a religious basis back in the 90s and their parents didn't bat an eye to it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #106
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Dear god, a lot of deaths were shown. People getting shot by the officers in a panic, one officer killing himself because he couldn't take the stress, someone falling off the ship and getting hit on the propellers, a man and his child drowning in a hallway attempting to escape the lower levels of the ship as they were flooding. They even showed Captain Smith's death as he stood on the bridge.

It was brutal...
Then there's the matter of the corpses floating in the water.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #107
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Dear god, a lot of deaths were shown. People getting shot by the officers in a panic, one officer killing himself because he couldn't take the stress, someone falling off the ship and getting hit on the propellers, a man and his child drowning in a hallway attempting to escape the lower levels of the ship as they were flooding. They even showed Captain Smith's death as he stood on the bridge.

It was brutal...
Then there's the matter of the corpses floating in the water.
I asked because I've never watched the movie, as you can see.

Honestly, I had no idea it was that explicit.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #108
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yeah, the Titanic Live-Action movie is a bit more explicit then the 3-4 Animated movies.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #109
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually used to be able to watch it just fine until the theatrical re-release in 2012, which I watched with my boyfriend at the time.

And after that, I just can't anymore. I don't know if it's age or a better sense that real people suffered the way they did - even if a lot of it had cinematic polishing, but the second half of the movie really pushes on how awful the sinking itself was.

They did manage to slip in this guy when the ship was going down though.
His account pretty much said that you couldn't get pulled down with the ship when it was finally going into the ocean, because he just stepped off and bobbed along until he was rescued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah, the Titanic Live-Action movie is a bit more explicit then the 3-4 Animated movies.
At least the one with the rapping dog had the guts to admit that people died horribly. That's the one thing I can say about it.
And that it does have a basis for a story about a young woman reuniting with her long-lost mother against all odds on what should be, by all accounts, the worst day of their lives.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #110
CyberCubed
Overlord

Titanic came out when I was in 7th grade. From the moment I saw that movie I formed a hatred for Leonardo Dicaprio that has never gone away all these years later. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #111
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Titanic came out when I was in 7th grade. From the moment I saw that movie I formed a hatred for Leonardo Dicaprio that has never gone away all these years later. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.
He's actually a pretty decent actor. The thing is, early in his career he got often the "pretty boy" roles.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #112
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
He gets laid and you don't. That's probably it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #113
CyberCubed
Overlord

I dislike both Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon. When I was younger I actually thought they were the same person. I don't like the roles they play in movies and their blond hair and blue eyes bug me.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #114
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I dislike both Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon. When I was younger I actually thought they were the same person. I don't like the roles they play in movies and their blond hair and blue eyes bug me.
I don't care about Damon but DiCaprio is a pretty solid actor.

Do you also dislike Brad Pitt? He's also a pretty solid actor.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #115
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I was always allowed to watch R-rated stuff. It just wasn't a big deal.
I envy people who didn't have to grow up with an overbearing Jesus-freak for a guardian. I couldn't even enjoy the friggin Beetlejuice cartoon without my mom getting all freaked out.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #116
CyberCubed
Overlord

Soccer Moms and religious parents are the worst. The same type of people who forbid their children from watching TMNT, Power Rangers, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Harry Potter, etc. because they claimed they were "bad influences" or "the devil."

Goddamn. Thank god our generation learned from our parents mistakes. For the people who have kids here already or will in the future, I'm sure you guys know better than to claim shows/movies are "bad for kids" and let them watch what they want within reason.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #117
Prowler
Emperor

Every kids' fad gets labeled "the devil". But only a vocal minority of parents and guardians are stupid enough to believe that crap.

Hell it's not just children cartoons and video games. Heavy metal music, rock music and jazz music got once labelled as "the devil's music".
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #118
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
That's how it is, or how it used to be. It is true that today's younger generation doesn't get married or have kids young anymore, but that's speaking for the people in their early 20's right now.

People born in the 80's like my generation still adhere to the old standards. Maybe mid 90's kids are a bit different. Obviously someone born in the year 2000 is only 17 right now at most.

No we don't. I'm nearly 10years older than you Cubed, and only about HALF of the people I went to high school did this, and they were generally the ones who were more promiscuous to begin with. The rest (smarter ones?) waited and had them later. I myself had planned on NOT having any at all, but even when I did end up having one it wasn't til I was 30- YOUR age. People of our generation are generally more career driven, given that we are the first generation where women were EXPECTED to go out and have jobs of their own. And they took to it in force.....

Quote:
"80s kids"
"90s kids"

You were born in 1985. What do you even remember of the 80s? The TMNT cartoon debuted in 1987 or so. What wasn the first episode you even watched? One from season 4?

I have an older brother(born in 1983) so I also grew up with the NES, the first ever game Boy and the 87 Turtles(reruns on cable TV here in the late 90s/early 2000s).

I remember VHS tapes and having no cellphones or internet quite well. And no, the first game I bought was not in CD format. Also my family didn't get cable tv until 1998 or so. And we only got internet around 2000-2001.

Growing up with movies like Rambo and Terminator? And you were allowed to watch those movies as an elementary school kid? Also, Cyber, the first ever Rambo movie came out in 1982 and the first ever Terminator film came out in 1985... the year you were born. You didn't watch those movies at the cinema. And even if you had been 7-8 years old at the time they came out, it's not like your parents would take you to the cinema to watch them. Come on now, you've watched those movies several years after they came out on VHS or on TV like I did.

Also, you seem to like lots of things associate with "90s kids" such as Pokémon and all those superhero cartoons and those shounen anime that were popular in the West back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Sure, there are some differences. You watched some cartoons I didn't get the chance to watch and such but you talk like there's a huge generational gap between you and I.

Also being born in 1990, I don't remember anything before 1996 or so. So you won't see me claiming to be an expert on what being a "90s kid" is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I'm older than both of you....I was not allowed to watch those films. ^^ I saw them as a teen.
He didn't but I did. And thankfully I was allowed to watch pretty much anything except "adult" movies. Cubed was still in preschool when I watched Pirhana 1&2 for the first time on cable- at age 8! (Had nightmares for a few weeks due to my parents' fun hobby of going fishing/skiing/swimming at local lakes where "pirhana"(actually the vegetarian but related pacu) were caught...)

I DO remember many of those films as I DID grow up with them. (Born '76, yo!)

Quote:
Every kids' fad gets labeled "the devil". But only a vocal minority of parents and guardians are stupid enough to believe that crap.

Hell it's not just children cartoons and video games. Heavy metal music, rock music and jazz music got once labelled as "the devil's music".

This is soooo true. In my day it was Dungeons&Dragons roleplaying games, and metal music. Ozzy, Meyallica and Megadeath were all culprits. As were R-rated films like Robocop and the like.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #119
Prowler
Emperor

Tbh, 2007 was kind of a boring year, don't you guys think? And I'm not talking from a personal stance this time, but as in... what notorious events happened in 2007? The Chris Benoit tragedy and... Virginia Tech shooting?

Now, 2008, that's a year that might go down in History and have repercussions for years to come. SO I guess 2007 was the "clam before the storm"?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #120
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well technically 2007 was the year the recession began here in the US. The bottom fell out of the real estate market and the bank crisis reared its ugly head, and jobs became scarce.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote