The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When do people generally go through mid-life crisis? Is it during your 30's or 40's?
The mid-life crisis depends on how old someone actually lives.

For instance, if you're going to die next year due to choking on an inferior burrito, you would have actually had your mid-life crisis around age 15!

BUT, if aliens abduct you and their unholy medical experimentation results in you possessing an unnaturally long lifespan, you could live to the ripe age of 150 and not have a true mid-life crisis until the astonishing age of 75!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

I wonder if CyberCubed will still be posting in online message boards like this one 40 years from now.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I wonder if CyberCubed will still be posting in online message boards like this one 40 years from now.
Not if he asphyxiated on an inferior burrito.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Death by choking sounds so unpleasant and also so embarrassing. I've almost choked a few times in my life and it was scary. I sometimes tend to eat a bit fast.

Jesus imagine talking about someone who did a lot of cool things in their life and then when people ask you how said guy died you say "well he choked on his mid-night snack". Several coolness points instantly lost, I bet.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think people are often surprised how long people have been on online internet communities or forums. While some people come and go, it's only because they visit other forums instead. So no matter what, you're still online *somewhere*.

Just look at how many people have been in this place for a decade already. Did any of you think that when you first registered here you'd still be around 5-10 years later? Probably not, yet here you are.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I think people are often surprised how long people have been on online internet communities or forums. While some people come and go, it's only because they visit other forums instead. So no matter what, you're still online *somewhere*.

Just look at how many people have been in this place for a decade already. Did any of you think that when you first registered here you'd still be around 5-10 years later? Probably not, yet here you are.
The first ever internet forum I joined was in 2001 or so, I think. And that forum doesn't seem to exist any longer.

Honestly, I'm surprised I've been on the 'Drome for eight years now. It just doesn't feel like I've been here that long. I don't consider myself a veteran or anything. I think it's because I only became truly active around late 2013 or 2014. From 2009 to mid 2003 I must have made about 200 posts at best. I'd log in, make 3 posts, and then not show up again until 2 months later or so again. Plus, in 2009-2010 these forums were a bit "dead" in comparison to nowadays.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the big gaming boards from the early 2000's still exist. IGN, gamefaqs, neogaf, etc...or the big communities for pokemon like Serebii, Kazenshuu for Dragonball, etc.

Plus all those comic book websites for the big DC and Marvel stuff.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

On a sidenote... IMDB removed all of their message boards. You can no longer go on a movie's page and post questions/comments/anything.

Too much pressure from Sony about trolls when their female Ghostbusters movie came out, I'd wager.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Most of the big gaming boards from the early 2000's still exist. IGN, gamefaqs, neogaf, etc...or the big communities for pokemon like Serebii, Kazenshuu for Dragonball, etc.

Plus all those comic book websites for the big DC and Marvel stuff.
IGN was a lot more active before they updated the boards around 2009, though. Also IGN doesn't seem to care about promoting their boards considering no one seems to pay for Premium anymore.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, IGN was crazy active during the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era. Even the non-gaming boards like The Vestibule and all the communities had tons of new posts and threads every day.

It was the rise of social media in the mid 2000's like twitter, tumblr, etc. that has pretty much killed off traditional forums. Now people are just to content to post what they like on their social media accounts and follow tags rather than post on boards or forums.

Sad really, I'll always find traditional forums/boards like this one better to follow than social media accounts.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, IGN was crazy active during the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era. Even the non-gaming boards like The Vestibule and all the communities had tons of new posts and threads every day.

It was the rise of social media in the mid 2000's like twitter, tumblr, etc. that has pretty much killed off traditional forums. Now people are just to content to post what they like on their social media accounts and follow tags rather than post on boards or forums.

Sad really, I'll always find traditional forums/boards like this one better to follow than social media accounts.
The vestibule was crazier back in the day. Nowadays it's just basically full of political arguments. You have SJWs and redpilled alt righters arguing with each other back and forth.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
On a sidenote... IMDB removed all of their message boards. You can no longer go on a movie's page and post questions/comments/anything.

Too much pressure from Sony about trolls when their female Ghostbusters movie came out, I'd wager.
Yeah, I saw that... honestly, I never got any useful information or opinions whenever I'd read over the message boards. And I wasn't a member... so no loss to me.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #33
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
What's your age?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #34
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
31, and really starting to feel the pinch of getting my ass in gear. I want to be so much further ahead than I am right now.
Sorry to hear that, I think in this economy many people feel like that these days. I have a degree and everyone made it seem like after graduating I'd walk straight into a well paid graduate job and buy my own house etc.

Fortunately even in my teens I knew that was bulls**t and university was not a 'get rich quick scheme', but not everyone sees that way which puts more pressure on graduates and makes them more likely to feel like failures when actually it's in part down to the economy.

So yeah, please don't feel bad. You are more than your career and your paycheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, I saw that... honestly, I never got any useful information or opinions whenever I'd read over the message boards. And I wasn't a member... so no loss to me.
I go on them sometimes but I think I lost faith in them when I failed at convincing someone that plants weren't homosexual (I wish I was kidding).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Quote:
I go on them sometimes but I think I lost faith in them when I failed at convincing someone that plants weren't homosexual (I wish I was kidding).
They were always useful to me when I'd have some nagging question about random movies. I'd always get a ton of answers back.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #36
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

19. It feels really weird hanging around people here who are old enough to be my parents.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #37
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
19. It feels really weird hanging around people here who are old enough to be my parents.
Really? I find age means little when you have something in common. For instance, I may be 23 but I will talk to my aunt and uncle's friend Harry who's in his 60's about Babylon 5, likewise, I have a friend who's only 17 but we both love TMNT.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Heh, I remember being a teenager on a forum full of 20+ year olds and back then I felt like such a kid too.

I was like 14 years old on this sci-fi forum where everyone else was like 21-26 year old adults. Funny thing is nobody there knew how young I was, I just kept posting my opinions on things and was talking with people 10 years older than me.

Now *I'm* the old person and now I'm interacting with young teenagers.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #39
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Heh, I remember being a teenager on a forum full of 20+ year olds and back then I felt like such a kid too.

I was like 14 years old on this sci-fi forum where everyone else was like 21-26 year old adults. Funny thing is nobody there knew how young I was, I just kept posting my opinions on things and was talking with people 10 years older than me.

Now *I'm* the old person and now I'm interacting with young teenagers.
I was kind of in the same boat but I didn't really feel like a kid in comparison. Anyone under 25 felt like a peer.

Although now if I talk to teenagers online although I try not to treat them like kids, I feel really protective over them (have said that, I feel protective over many adults too).
Old 02-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I was kind of in the same boat but I didn't really feel like a kid in comparison. Anyone under 25 felt like a peer.

Although now if I talk to teenagers online although I try not to treat them like kids, I feel really protective over them (have said that, I feel protective over many adults too).
Yeah, I think people don't realize how much young teenagers are influenced by the things they read online, or the things people say to them. I know I was.

Also a lot of flamewars in various forums with people hating each other over stupid things, most of it is because teenagers treat it like they're in school and have grudges over forum members.

I learned a lot when I first came online around the time I was 13 or so.