Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #81
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

I just cancelled my order....
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #82
Cipher
Foot Elite

Got it today.

Guys, buy this book. Buy this book. Buy this book.

I can honestly say the missing tones, while disappointing, don't horribly matter outside #53. They're sorely missed in that one, as the inking during the action scene gets pretty sparse. The other issues they're missing from happen to be more heavily inked though, so outside of a few panels, you'd never know they were there in the first place.

If you've never read it, double-super-buy this book, because you're depriving yourself of the single best piece of writing to ever bear the TMNT name. Every time I come back to this storyline I'm worried it won't hold up, and every time I'm proven dead wrong. The writing is still so good you'll be able to overlook the tone flaw. And the bonus content is as great as ever. I am incredibly happy to finally own this in collected form and be able to point new readers toward this arc. Because anyone looking to try the Mirage TMNT -- forget Vol. 1 #1. This is where they should start.

IDW needs to reprint this thing as a standalone book down the line, because it really does make a great hook for potential readers. They can and should fix the tone mistakes then as well, depending on the level of scans they can drum up.

But guys, until then, give this book your hard-earned money. It deserves it.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

I already have the individual issues so I am in no rush. I just can't justify spending $30 or so on an inferior copy.

Hell I would have taken these issues colored over this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #84
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

I'll keep my hard-earned cash in my pocket rather than spend it on mediocrity. I, too, have the original comics and won't support a poor product.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnormal Freak View Post
I'll keep my hard-earned cash in my pocket rather than spend it on mediocrity. I, too, have the original comics and won't support a poor product.
Agreed, supporting it kind of gives the impression that people "don't mind" these releases and are what they're fine with. I am not blaming anyone at IDW as I know they were unaware of this, but its still a shame.

I do have the first 3 Ultimate Collections but now its going to look really odd with the first 3 but not the last two. Hopefully #5 is printed properly.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #86
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

CyberCubed, I hope they print #5 properly as well they know of the issues from this print and there should be no excuses. I think I have 5 preordered allready. Had I known in advance I may have cancelled my preorder on book 4. While its disapointing I am not overly PO'd. This certainly shouldn't happen again tho.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just wish they could do a limited re-print of Collection 4 for hardcore TMNT fans.

Its not like the casuals know any better so it doesn't make a difference to them.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #88
Allio
Foot Elite

let me just ask this, something that gets on my mind with stuff like this

if you already have the original issues, why do you want to get the ultimate collection? you get the exact same thing...I see it as just a waste of money
Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post

if you already have the original issues, why do you want to get the ultimate collection? you get the exact same thing...I see it as just a waste of money
People buy collections for reading, better quality paper and ease of storage.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #90
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:

These books are oversized hardcover and contain new notes by Eastman and Laird.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #91
mgambino
Foot Soldier

Just got my copy today. The lack of shading doesn't really bother me that much. Sure, I'd like to see the issues as they were intended, but the story/art is the same either way and I don't have the original issues.
mgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #92
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see how anyone who actually owns the original issues can say it doesn't look much worse.

Without the duoshades the art has no depth, the story loses its impact and it looks like an adult coloring book. It is inferior and ruined.

Doesn't matter for casuals who never read it before but for us its disappointing.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #93
Abnormal Freak
Stone Warrior

Quote:

As mentioned, ease of readability/access/storage, higher quality paper stock, multiple issues in one book (no opening and sealing an individual bag and putting that back in the comic box), extras, sleek hardcover format, oversized print.

It would be the perfect format if only the actual issue scans were any good, and I don't just mean this problem of missing tones from one issue. There should have been better quality control from the get-go, especially since this is supposed to be a prestige reprinting of these issues.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #94
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't see how anyone who actually owns the original issues can say it doesn't look much worse.

Without the duoshades the art has no depth, the story loses its impact and it looks like an adult coloring book. It is inferior and ruined.

Doesn't matter for casuals who never read it before but for us its disappointing.
Worse? Yes.

Ruined? Nah. That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post; it's everyone's own prerogative, but, while disappointing, we all know the story behind what happened and it reads as well as ever.

You also, I'm assuming, haven't actually seen the three issues without tones in full, so let's be fair.

Quote:

Pretty much what Abnormal Freak said, both the positives and the negatives.

At the end of the day, though, it's a product that will hold up much longer than individual issues and is much easier to read. I wouldn't do it for everything, but I'm a big enough fan of the Mirage series that I don't mind double-dipping.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #95
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

You also, I'm assuming, haven't actually seen the three issues without tones in full, so let's be fair.
It reminds me of how worse the later Volume 4 issues looked art-wise without the duotones. Remember how in early Volume 4 people were fine with the art, and around halfway through people started complaining that it looked worse?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #96
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

Woot! My UC 4 came in the mail today!!
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #97
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
It reminds me of how worse the later Volume 4 issues looked art-wise without the duotones. Remember how in early Volume 4 people were fine with the art, and around halfway through people started complaining that it looked worse?
With the exception of #53, which I admit really does suffer without its tones, they look considerably better than latter-day Volume 4. The inking here is just a lot more detailed.

Again, side-by-side, yeah, it's a noticeable loss. But other than #53, you probably wouldn't guess they had tones in the first place, if you didn't know better.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #98
funatic
Mad Scientist

Irony:

Spoiler:
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #99
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man whoever first said it looks like an adult coloring book really nailed it, I can't help but think about that everytime someone posts a scan.

Perhaps IDW wants us to get out our crayola crayons and color in the classic City at War issues like we're in the early 90's again?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #100
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Man whoever first said it looks like an adult coloring book really nailed it, I can't help but think about that everytime someone posts a scan.

Perhaps IDW wants us to get out our crayola crayons and color in the classic City at War issues like we're in the early 90's again?
Really? I think that page in particular looks fine without the tones. Look at the shadows. It's striking, and honestly, I'd dare anyone to guess without prior knowledge that the page was originally intended to have any shading.

There are plenty of indie comics that use very sparse, strict black-and-white, and aren't any less appealing for it. (Scope a Love and Rockets preview on Comixology, for example. Or, hell, several issues of Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2.) Not all TMNT art works without them, but '92-'93 Lawson is in good company either way.

Yes, it's a flaw. But I think how much the art suffers without them is being blown way out of proportion.

Tags
mirage, reprint