The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 View Post
Last movie I saw at the theaters was "Transformers". Up next: "Cloverfield" !
So a movie every 2 years or so? Congrats..
Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
ToTheNines
[sic]

I just watched the first TMNT. I'm way behind on my Christmas movies this year... I've only watched "A Christmas Story" and "Prancer" I'll probably watch "The Santa Clause" tonight, which means Christmas movie marathon for the next 2 days.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #23
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
So a movie every 2 years or so? Congrats..
At the theaters, yeah....most I watch on DVD because I like all the extra stuff. I like my movie experience to be something really special, so this year I chose TMNT (undoubtedly!) and Transformers. I'm thinking about AVP:R but I *know* I'll be seeing Cloverfield just due to the fact I've followed the damn thing's since the teaser back in July! I like seeing big epic things on the big screen, while most other stuff I wait for it to arrive on DVD.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #24
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool View Post
I'm just not a Wes Anderson fan. The only thing I admire is that he does his own thing, but there are plenty of better filmmakers and writers in that 'field'. He just retreads the same ground over and over; none of his characters stand out or resonate and he bludgeons you over the head with his 'themes'.

'Oh, I see! They were symbolically carrying baggage from family issues, and now they're free of it they literally get rid of their deceased father's luggage bags! Now I get it! Wes Anderson you are a genius!'

Ah, that's understandable then. I love Wes Anderson personally. I love his subtle humor, it's a nice departure from all those Will Ferell/Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson/Etc. comedies that seem to come out so often. Wes Anderson definitely isn't for everyone, tho.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #25
Roseangelo
Emperor

Just saw Elf for the first time (it was on TV). Pretty good!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #26
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I just watched "Do the Right thing" last night. It was entertaining, it felt like a real day happening. At first I was disappointed at the end with the "riot" because I thought they were giving a simple, bad message, but the next day I thought about the movie more, and now I think I get it. It could be looked at a lot of different ways, but I think the movie was showing how real people act, and that in almost all cases in the movie, nobody "does the right thing." The people on both sides of the racism aren't completely innocent.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #27
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I saw the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" remake last night and realized once again that I don't really like Tim Burton's work.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 AM   #28
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I watched two movies tonight

First up was "Thank You For Smoking" which I hadn't seen in awhile. I remember liking it but I didn't remember much from it. Hilarious movie, dark comedies were always my favorites. The M.O.D. Squad arguing over who kills the most people a year was the best.

Then I wanted to see something powerful, "Children Of Men" hit the spot. That movie grabs me and the cinematography is breathtaking. There's a scene towards the end that's one long shot of him running from terrorists and into a building being assaulted by the military. The birth scene is hands down the most realistic I've ever seen and it's very moving. I love the story, based off a book like "Thank You For Smoking" I seem to have some kind of fetish for movies based on novels. Maybe it's a sign I should read more.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #29
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!

Watched "Sweeney Todd" on Friday. Absolutely wonderful. Hey Barkworm, you may change your mind about Burton if you see this movie, though I may be wrong, seeing as I don't know what you don't like about his movies....
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #30
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

Based on the preview, I didn't really want to see Sweeny Todd, but I've heard a few people say its good so I guess I'll have to see it.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #31
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
Then I wanted to see something powerful, "Children Of Men" hit the spot. That movie grabs me and the cinematography is breathtaking. There's a scene towards the end that's one long shot of him running from terrorists and into a building being assaulted by the military. The birth scene is hands down the most realistic I've ever seen and it's very moving.
That movie is amazing, I think I'll watch that next.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #32
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

On Friday night, I started out with an exploitation or grindhouse kinda film called Werewolves on Wheels. I thought it was alright and I liked the concept. Then, after that, on the same night, I watched a movie on IFC called Nightwatch, starring Ewan McGregor and Josh Brolin. It kept me interested and kinda exceeded my expectations.

Last night, I watched a silent horror film called Haxan. The fact that it dealt with the medieval times kept me intrigued.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #33
Roseangelo
Emperor

Transformers - I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm not a fan of the series to be able to tear it apart in any regard.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #34
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I just watched Sour Grapes and Eastern Promises tonight. Sour Grapes was an OK comedy, the premise was funny and I laughed at some of the situations, they were very Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque (this movie was made by Larry David). It really just seemed like a sitcom episode though. Eastern Promises was a strong recommendation but I ended up just liking it and not loving it. There was a good story and one great action scene but in the end its not something that I will ever have a really strong desire to see again.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #35
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Ok so how many times did everyone watch "A Christmas Story"?

I went 2 times all the way through and the bits and pieces added up to probably 3 more viewings.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snackpants View Post
Ok so how many times did everyone watch "A Christmas Story"?

I went 2 times all the way through and the bits and pieces added up to probably 3 more viewings.
I never watched it all the way through, but all the bits and pieces added up to at least 2 viewings. I had it on the entire night while I was sleeping.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #37
Brodie
Certified Teacher

I saw AVP2 tonight....Man, was it terrible.

The creature stuff was awesome. But the script and humans were ****ing bad.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #38
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched a little horror film on Sunday evening and it was alright. The fact that it was an anthology kinda reminded me of Creepshow. Later that night, I watched Freejack with my dad and it was pretty good. I liked the action and the funny bits.

Later that night, I watched Freejack with my dad and it was pretty good. I liked the action and the funny bits.

Not technically a movie, but I watched the MST3K version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians on Christmas Eve and it looks like I've started a new tradition. On the same night, I watched Showdown at Area 51 recorded off the Sci Fi channel and it was okay. Other than that, nothing ground-breaking.

Last night, I watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space and I enjoyed it. In terms of being a B movie, it was right up there, I thought, with The Toxic Avenger.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?

Last edited by cowabunga14; 12-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #39
Venom
Space Knight

Haha, Showdown was so bad it was awesome! The blue chick from Farscape looks pretty good as a human, too! I remember the original working title was Alien vs. Alien. My fave Sci-Fi Channel movies ever are "Tin Man" and "Dog Soldiers".

Oh, and keeping with the topic: I watched Underdog last night! It exceeded my expectations be far being really funny and enjoyable!
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #40
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 View Post
Haha, Showdown was so bad it was awesome! The blue chick from Farscape looks pretty good as a human, too! I remember the original working title was Alien vs. Alien. My fave Sci-Fi Channel movies ever are "Tin Man" and "Dog Soldiers".

Oh, and keeping with the topic: I watched Underdog last night! It exceeded my expectations be far being really funny and enjoyable!
Dog Soldiers isn't a sci fi film. It's a british film that had it's American premiere on sci fi.

Tags
movies