The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Favorite IDW Moments (First 100 Issues)

I just finished City At War (finally) and... with IDW about to enter it's 10th year, and we have had many amazing arcs, issues, miniseries, one-shots... What have been your favorite stories, moments or issues? Keeping this to the first 100 issues and the related books? Only choosing first hundred because it's a nice round number and issue 101 seems to mark a new era or new direction.

My favorite moments, arcs or stories have been:

The first 12 issues... the basic origin/backstory/first year. Everything I want from a Turtles origin with a new, imaginative retelling. Old Hob is a great character.

Secret History of the Foot Clan... an amazing, street-level, action packed story that leads seamlessly into another great arc.

City Fall... I originally thought of this as IDW's City At War and loved it. Probably the high point of the series for me.

All of the Turtle micros were great.

Northampton... Sophie Campbell's art makes this story shine and I love the farm setting. Took me right back to the 1990 movie. Heartfelt and beautiful.

The future issue with Turtles In Time was a lot of fun.

Leo's macro issue was fun.

The reveal of Bishop as the mutant baby thing inside the cyborg/robot was insane and made me love him as a villain.

The Leatherhead stuff has been stellar. And they didn't overuse him either.

What are your favorite happenings in IDW guys?
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

for me it was north hampton, harold and donnies interactions, and the ghostbusters crossovers.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
LUIS
Random Punk

For me is Secret History too, City fall, Attack on Technodrome all the micros were pretty good (specially the Villian's) and the B&R minies.
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Donatello getting his shell cracked like a walnut was pretty unforgettable. Points for making headlines with ALL the internet geek news websites for a week.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

I really enjoyed the first arc. There was a lot of excitement surrounding the mysterious new origin, what felt like fresh character dynamics with Don and Leo having interesting debates, and the return of the turtles to comics in general.

Other then that, The Last Ronin is the most excited I’ve been about IDW TMNT since then, although I am enjoying the current run to an extent as well. One more mention would go to Secret History of the Foot Clan for just being brisk, fun, and action-packed.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Yeah,you guys are right... Donnie's shell breaking was quite memorable. And Attack on the Technodrome was a great arc. The Triceraton war was fun and losing Slash in Battle Lines made my head explode.

When Leatherhead swallowed Krang... that was an "Oh $hit" moment too.

A lot of the minis/side series weren't amazing, but of those I've read, Shredder in Hell felt very Mirage to me and the Mikey Universe issue was pretty interesting.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They really did a good job in #5.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:15 AM   #8
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Also... Ken Garing has been the best TMNT artist in ages... the only one that consistently felt like he was channeling Mirage. Sophie, Duncan and Santolouco did some pretty great things in various issues but Garing was tremendously gritty and felt so Mirage inspired. It's what I want TMNT to look like.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Honestly, there are so many high water marks in the IDW series it's hard to pick just a few, let alone one.

I think I'm gonna do a re-read of the whole thing sometime soon, I don't think I've done that since issue #50 came out.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
Jazzfox
Thug

Raph Micro

Kind of a weird pick, but, this was the ninja turtles book that got me into IDW Turtles and really, back into Turtles as a whole! Alopex hooking my interests in her appearance here got me to look at the title on the shelves and discover that I wasn't too far behind

A week later and I'd already snagged the trades and began following along

That's likely more of a personal note than 'real' memorable moments, so, I guess looking for those moments that made me stop reading to reflect, or just made me sit after reading an issue, there are a good few, surprisingly a few centered on Casey back in the day

Splinter helping Casey get out from under Hun and the confrontation there with Hun was a moment I felt really hit somewhere personal I didn't expect

As was later, learning in fact Casey's dad WAS Hun, the transformation in that micro with the hair dye and the whole AA Meeting style framing set some real conflict and character work

Northampton as a whole was a great arc that set itself as a real heart of the turtles, and specifically? Mikey's letter to Woody and the framing of the issue of him just trying to get his family back together, all ending with them gathered around the camp fire together, with the threat of Koya looming over them all

Asides those areas... I'd have to say again on more personal notes, Alopex's defeat of Kitsune was a VISCERAL display slashing open Kitsune's throat and gaining the markings she still has to this day

Not to mention Bebop and Rocksteady haev so many moments both fun and terrifying, from their first reveal in their micro fully transformed and loaded up for a fight, to seeing them flung at the turtles and smashing Donnie's shell - something I've been really glad to see attention brought back to recently - or even their micros were a joy to read in the sheer insanity of being let loose on the page across the country or even across time and space

I'm sure as is though, I've really only scratched the surface, moments like Casey being stabbed by Shredder or tons more stand out that I just can't put to keys just now, guess I'll be joining in a reread sooner or later!

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #11
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

this was a very good and tuff question. i would say my favourite issue was macro raph as we really got to break the character down. there were so many good story, some of my favs were Northampton, city falls and the attack of the technodrome. another thing which i loved was that they brought things from every version of tmnt including one of my most favourite villains of all time. DARIUS DUNN. overall i would have to say everything before issue 51 was amazing but after issue 51 i felt like it went a little bit of a down hill from there but i still enjoyed it but in my opion it could have been a bit better
Teddygaming reviews is offline   Reply With Quote