The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion S2 EP 4a/4b & 5a/5b

Four new episode airing tonight from 8pm.

4a - Breaking Purple
Donny's parenting causes S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. to run away.

4b - Reparin' the Baron
Mikey tries to get Draxum to tolerate humans.

5a - Air Turtle
Leo gets his dream job as mascot of the local professional basketball team.

5b - Pizza Puffs
Raph teaches his brothers a lesson in responsibility after they eat poisoned pizza puffs.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

What the hell is a "Pizza Puff"?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe they're like pizza rolls. Unless it's pizza flavored cheese puffs...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Maybe they're like pizza rolls. Unless it's pizza flavored cheese puffs...
Unless they are like Hot Pockets....oh by the by did you guys know Hot Pockets were originally called "Chunk Stuffers"
Old 04-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No, and I can see why they chose another name. lol

So the pizza puffs in the ep I guess could be like...a round pizza roll? They're just kind of a nondescript little pastry looking thing.

So what did we learn tonight, kiddies...
Spoiler:
Draxum is out of the villain pool (for now?), now works in April's school cafeteria (yup...), and dammit his mask broke and he needs to put that thing back on. Egads. (But we probably all wondered what he looked like under it -- and if it really even was a mask or his actual face given the animation -- and what he looks like...is a bunch of nope.)

Donnie got his bad interpersonal skills from his father's bad parenting skills.

Three Turtles are morons and one (Raph) has a psychiatric problem.

The dumb version of Leo also gets to shine in conjunction with basketball.

You want a positive, fine; Leo and Donnie look decent in moderately dressy attire.

The only legitimately curious thing is the very random dark shadow that left a cliff hanger by snatching away Meatsweats at the end of the last ep.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:25 AM   #6
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

The only way this series could get weirder for me is if draxum started dating April's mom. On the plus side we'd finally get to meet her, on the bad she'd probably get mutated/possessed and then the turtles and april would have to stop her.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

I find it amusing that these episodes had both Dennis Rodman and Guy Fieri.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

So what did we learn tonight, kiddies...
Spoiler:

The dumb version of Leo also gets to shine in conjunction with basketball.
This version of Leo saved the day through guile and constantly outsmarts pretty much everybody this season. On topic these episode were really good except for the Pizza Puff episode.

4a - Breaking Purple

Good episode, I enjoyed the relationship with Shelldon and Donnie also its always nice to see the Purple Dragons again. I also really like the dynamic shots and backgrounds shown in this episode say what you will about the show but it has some beautiful background art.

4b - Reparin' the Baron

This episode really shows why I enjoy this iteration Mikey, I hear some people complain that each brother cracks jokes and he has nothing to do but this and the last episode showed he is the heart of the team(also its nice that not everything thing that comes out of his mouth is a pop culture reference or something flat out stupid). Baron's redemption did felt a bit weird to me but by the end of the episode I sort of came around to it and I was kinda surprised that we get to see his real face.

By the way future TMNT writer when having a Donatello/April relationship be less like 12 and more like Rise

5a - Air Turtle

Weirdly enough this is my favorite out of the 4, this was Sullivan Sluggers meets Space Jam and I love every moment of it also we got to see Trickster Leo. Humor was epescially on point, I know reference and meme humor is considered to low brow but I did laugh when they referenced both the Shaq meme and Dave Chappelle. I don't know why but this show really does know how to make good sport episodes also guess who made a cameo complete with her famous $%#@ eating grin

5b - Pizza Puffs

Pretty much my least favorite episode of the season I always thought that while less trained the Rise turtles were more socially intelligent than 2k12 turtles and I still believe that but my god even I can't defend this. I like the 3rd act where they fight Meatsweats and the ending scene where a mysterious force captured him but I'm not going to re-watch this episode anytime soon.

Last edited by PApagreg; 04-25-2020 at 08:33 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Nice episodes!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
matteso586
Stone Warrior

1) I doubt that Draxum's "redemption" will last the entire season. 2) Speaking of which, how do you think the gargoyles might feel about it? 3) Something tells me that Big Mama has some sort of involvement with how Pizza Puffs ended.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Where to begin?

To make this short, I liked the first episode MUCH better than the other three, and the last one was by FAR my least favorite of the whole show so far. In fact, I found that episode mostly cringe-y at best. I hope this is the bottom of the barrel as far as episodes go. The second and third episodes were okay.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:40 AM   #12
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I have the funny feeling that the students at April's school are going to be draxums mutant army down the road.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

About the Pizza Puff episode...

The whole episode hinges on the premise that all the other turtles act like idiots and depend on Raph bailing them out, with Raph himself being annoyed by their idiotic irresponsibility. The problem is that this is not the dynamic that has been established.

In previous episodes it's pretty clear that Raph has no true leadership qualities at all. He constantly makes tactical errors, he suffers from insecurities and is generally an idiot. The only reason he's the leader is because nobody cares to challenge his position, and Leo is clearly the stealth leader, being the one who actually comes up with working plans.

Why break an established dynamic like this? It would make more sense if literally any other turtle took Raph's role in this episode.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

The whole episode hinges on the premise that all the other turtles act like idiots and depend on Raph bailing them out, with Raph himself being annoyed by their idiotic irresponsibility. The problem is that this is not the dynamic that has been established.

In previous episodes it's pretty clear that Raph has no true leadership qualities at all. He constantly makes tactical errors, he suffers from insecurities and is generally an idiot. The only reason he's the leader is because nobody cares to challenge his position, and Leo is clearly the stealth leader, being the one who actually comes up with working plans.

Why break an established dynamic like this? It would make more sense if literally any other turtle took Raph's role in this episode.
I think you are selling Raph a bit short here while its true he does share those qualities you mentioned the series does show he has a great sense of responsibility(hence why he is more of the face leader while Leo is the Strategist)

And this is coming from the guy who disliked the mentioned episode.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:

Esp after we already had an ep with this egotistical Donnie wanting to change his brothers and make them smarter like him. And so... he's somehow a complete moron here when it might have made more sense for him to fight through it and use his brains to save the day. But instead we have Raph not helping and having a psychological breakdown. Well then.

Sucks to see Donnie and Leo portrayed as such morons. As for Mikey... while it sucks this franchise has dumbed him down and its nice that he's a little less so in this one, being a fan of the famous Chef that Meatsweats used to be, on top of having long been a bit of a foodie and the biggest pizza lover since well before this show, it makes a little more sense that Mikey might be the most vulnerable to getting caught up in it and needing help breaking the addiction. But Leo and Donnie being so foolish... And Leo repeatedly lying about each he ate being the last one... *sigh*

I want that Netflix movie to be a Turtles Forever and include both the '03 and '12 series versions, not just '87, because I would really like to see their reactions to this set of Turtles. (Not that the people in charge of it would allow an honest reaction like that to happen.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-29-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I want that Netflix movie to be a Turtles Forever and include both the '03 and '12 series versions, not just '87, because I would really like to see their reactions to this set of Turtles. (Not that the people in charge of it would allow an honest reaction like that to happen.)

You know its not like the 12 turtles were perfect either, during the season 2 premiere Mikey, Leo and Raph were treated dangerous Krang technology like a hackysack, Donnie during the first Metalhead episode couldn't find a weakspot to Metalhead despite the fact that A VULNERABLE KRAANG WAS CONTROLLING IT FROM THE OUTSIDE AND ALL DONNIE HAD TO DO WAS HIT IT, and Raph and Casey playing with Alien weapons in the first episode of season 4(nevermind the fact they just watched the Earth get sucked up into a black hole).

So yeah if what you hope does happen I hope the Rise equally calls out the 12.

Also I would argue that Rise Mikey is a heck of a lot smarter than 12 Mikey.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And? Did I run in and start arguing your strong opinions on '12 April and Casey? No. No I did not.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:37 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
it's pretty clear that Raph has no true leadership qualities at all. He constantly makes tactical errors, he suffers from insecurities and is generally an idiot. The only reason he's the leader is because nobody cares to challenge his position, and Leo is clearly the stealth leader, being the one who actually comes up with working plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I think you are selling Raph a bit short here while its true he does share those qualities you mentioned the series does show he has a great sense of responsibility(hence why he is more of the face leader while Leo is the Strategist).
I'm pretty sure Raph being the "headstrong yet wreckless buffoon" type of leader is the point of his status. His outlandish ideas are what lends itself towards the humor. Reminds me of the flashback in Tales of Leo episode from 2k3 where Raph decides to lead Leo to a dangerous path which lead to an encounter with an alligator. Leo was able to counteract it with pressure points.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I'm pretty sure Raph being the "headstrong yet wreckless buffoon" type of leader is the point of his status. His outlandish ideas are what lends itself towards the humor. Reminds me of the flashback in Tales of Leo episode from 2k3 where Raph decides to lead Leo to a dangerous path which lead to an encounter with an alligator. Leo was able to counteract it with pressure points.
Didn't say that Raph didn't fit with that archetype but I'm just saying that there is more to him than that for example compared to that Raph in the 2k3 episode this one is more patient and more willing to listen.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

The last episode makes no sense, like someone said before me the characterisation of each turtle has been established at this point. I hate when they dumb down characters to fit stupid plots. All this does is make Raph look crazy. The ending caught my attention though, I'm thinking Big Mom as she does that kind of stuff. If its a new villain being introduced that would suck as we know the series is being cancelled so.

I think liked the first three fine enough, the last one was just weird.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote