The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

What if we got sequels to the 2007 film instead of PD films?

How would you have liked it if in the last two years, they made sequels (or prequels) to the 2007 film instead of the PD film. Do you think they would be better films and have performed better at the box office than the PD films?

I think the animation would be pretty stunning in a another film set in the 2007 universe released in this day, as even the 2007 film's CG holds up pretty well despite being released almost a decade ago. I'd also be really curious to see characters like Shredder and Hamato Yoshi would be handled in them. What are your thoughts?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:53 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

They messed up the story too much imo, but I agree the animation is great.

Sure why not, make it all animation. Kinda like what they are doing with the Smurf movie reboot now.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I guess I'm one of the few people here who really enjoyed the 2007 movie. I'd love to see sequels set in that world.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I actually edited my TMNT 2007 movie. I cut out that cliche dragged out beginning (4 brothers... 4 turtles...blablabla stone generals hercules planetary alignment ripoff).

Yuck:

I replaced it with this teaser:

And it continues straight into the jungle sequence. Much better and set out a good mood for starting the film. Full on action. It boggles my mind why they didn't choose this as opposed to the messed up crap we got.

I also tried to edit out April's explanation of the stone generals but eh, it felt choppy so I let it be.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
TheSkeletonMan939

So what you did is remove the backstory for the villain, making his plot even more silly than it already was?
Whatever floats your boat...

That '4 brothers...' stuff was pretty silly though, gotta agree there.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It'll make Winter a bit "mysterious" because we'll find out his motive when April explain it later (again). Kinda redundant/repetitive in the original form, I think mine flows better, heh.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
TheSkeletonMan939

You know, maybe that approach actually could work, so long as you keep April's explanation in there.
Incidentally, I've never understood the paucity of detail in that film. The sticker book for the film was more in-depth when it came to worldbuilding. The sticker book.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
How would you have liked it if in the last two years, they made sequels (or prequels) to the 2007 film instead of the PD film. Do you think they would be better films and have performed better at the box office than the PD films?

I think the animation would be pretty stunning in a another film set in the 2007 universe released in this day, as even the 2007 film's CG holds up pretty well despite being released almost a decade ago. I'd also be really curious to see characters like Shredder and Hamato Yoshi would be handled in them. What are your thoughts?
Different sort of beast. More profitable, but not as much money, if that makes sense.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Different sort of beast. More profitable, but not as much money, if that makes sense.
Yep. OotS cost about 4 times more to make than TMNT 2007, and obviously far more to market. TMNT 2007 took in $95 million worldwide, but they likely saw a bit of a profit there -- $35 million budget and smaller marketing campaign. Compared to its own production/marketing expenses, OotS' $245 million box office means they took a loss. Possibly a substantial one.

That might be the way of a lot of franchises going forward -- keep costs as low as possible and aim for a modest profit instead of risking a $150-million level budget and losing big. Deadpool was a huge hit, but the studio (and star and writers) seem to have rejected an inflated budget for the sequel. Having every "major" release be a bloated, expensive blockbuster is starting to backfire with some very expensive "flops", many of which would have actually been considered successful if the studios had kept the budgets lower.

Gee, if only there was a very successful, low-budget TMNT movie the studio could pattern their next attempt on...

Last edited by Bry; 10-31-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Imagi movie.
The plot was full of holes, and not all the characterization was perfect, but in my mind that only made it closer to the source material.

And the animation!
Oh man, for the first time the turtles moved like they were supposed to. I'll never forget how stoked I was with that first trailer. I lost count of the number of times I watched that damn thing.

And Mako as Splinter? That was damn inspired casting.
While I'll forever be sad the movie didn't have more Breakfast and rooftop-fight scenes, it's nice for what it is.
Warts and all.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I just watched the 2007 movie again a few days ago and I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed it, especially the animation and the characters playing off each other. I wanna know more about the turtles, April, Casey, Splinter and the Foot. They were all definetly very interesting.

If the next film reboot was an origin story for the 2007 turtles, along with a younger splinter (since Mako unfortunately passed away), I would 100% support it. I guess some people consider the 90s trilogy to be their origin story, but I personally don't buy it.

With the animation they have these days, they can make the already great looking 2007 movie look even better with the reboot. I can only imagine what it would be like on the big screen with 3D.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
dragonside
Hench Mutant

i think that would be awesome. I'd like to see the sequel that focused on mikey trying to save his brothers? I think that was the concept
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

That would have been incredible! If only Nick would have just picked up the continuity from there, instead of rebooting. If 2007 was able to continue as a loose continuation, so could tmnt2014 have done so, with a NEW STORY!
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
That would have been incredible! If only Nick would have just picked up the continuity from there, instead of rebooting. If 2007 was able to continue as a loose continuation, so could tmnt2014 have done so, with a NEW STORY!
Horrible idea
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I had seen something of a poster meant to be a sequel, where Shredder returned and all the turtles but Michelangelo were turned back into regular turtles. But it didn't take off.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I had seen something of a poster meant to be a sequel, where Shredder returned and all the turtles but Michelangelo were turned back into regular turtles. But it didn't take off.
You mean this poster.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I still have a poster of that movie on the wall in my gameroom actually. It was definitely better than the PD films for sure.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Hey you never know what the future will bring. Perhaps Nickelodeon will work out a deal with Kevin Munroe and he'll get another crack at writing a TMNT movie.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Hey you never know what the future will bring. Perhaps Nickelodeon will work out a deal with Kevin Munroe and he'll get another crack at writing a TMNT movie.
I know that Kevin Munroe is supposedly working on the Sly Cooper movie, But due to the box office failure for the Ratchet and Clank movie, The Sly Cooper movie may never get done.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
sdp
-

They're not going to make a sequel to the Imagi movie, that studio went bankrupt after Astro Boy sadly. The movie wasn't the success they wanted it to be and basically killed any future movies for many years until the Viacom movie and the movie was a mess, I wanted to love it but there are so many things going on that it lost track of what it wanted to be. It would've made a great story arc for a seasonal arc in a cartoon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I
If the next film reboot was an origin story for the 2007 turtles, along with a younger splinter

I guess some people consider the 90s trilogy to be their origin story, but I personally don't buy it.
You could say the Nick show is the prequel Haven't seen the later seasons but a few retcons here and there and we have a "movie"Nick Turtles.

They kept the old movies vaguely in continuity to appease fans but it was clearly meant to be it's own take and branch from there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote