The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #41
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm drooling at the thought of having this is omnibus form. It seems that IDW collect most of the TMNT runs in hardcover, but I haven't seen any for TMNT Adventure, though it's possible they are waiting to finish the tpb`s.
Yeah all the TMNT Adventures are paperback. The tales of tmnt omnibus vol 1 that is releasing this May is also only going to be paperback. At least as far as I know. But could be wrong.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #42
funatic
Mad Scientist

Maybe they should have gone with the Legends subtitle like they did with Zuli's trilogy hardcover, that classifier kind of got lost by the wayside...

I guess that would place it solidly in the non-canon realm though.

Yeah, if IDW is bad at one thing it's their titling.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #43
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Selfish request:

Does anyone have a scan of the extra page added to issue #2 for the original Image trade paperback?

I lost it when my PC got jacked and need it again (I suspect it probably won't be in the reprints).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

So with 3 more issues, the Image run will now officially have 26 issues now. Do you think that will be changed on "official lists" even though Image isn't publishing the last 3 issues themselves?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Selfish request:

Does anyone have a scan of the extra page added to issue #2 for the original Image trade paperback?

I lost it when my PC got jacked and need it again (I suspect it probably won't be in the reprints).
I've got it. I'll PM you tomorrow when I can take it in to work to scan it.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #46
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So with 3 more issues, the Image run will now officially have 26 issues now. Do you think that will be changed on "official lists" even though Image isn't publishing the last 3 issues themselves?
Obviously it will.

Same creative team, same original creative vision.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #47
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not a super fan of the name "Urban Legends," for the record. Maybe it's harmless but it could be construed as "these are just tales, not canonical."
I'm pretty sure Tales was canonical
Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #48
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've got it. I'll PM you tomorrow when I can take it in to work to scan it.
Thanks, man!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

The fact that when PL decided to continue the Mirage comics in 2001, he chose to name it "Volume 4" instead of "Volume 3" and picking up with Vol. 2 left off says a lot.

That was PL's way of acknowledging the Image series happened, without having to deal with any of the baggage left over from the series. Image will always be Vol. 3 of Mirage, simply because there isn't any volume 3 otherwise.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I'm pretty sure Tales was canonical
Urban Legends are often bullsh**. Tales typically have at least some footing in real events. Unless they're tall.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Andrew how do you feel this canon release will overwrite your conclusion now in official canon? I see Gary paid mind to that in the interview.
I think they'll approach it in exactly the way they would have back in the late 90s, finishing that same train of thought they had when they did #23 without missing a beat. Which is not the way I approached it. I approached at the time as if, "Well, OK, we're in 2009, there's lots of stories since then before, within, and after now... how can we take general notes from what Gary was going to do, some assistance from Frank, make an Image finisher work within all of that, reconcile everything, even Tales V2, playing off of these new pieces to still reach a relatively organic handshake with Volume 4?" These are two very different things.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now I guess there's two alternate canons to Image's conclusion, I guess it will be fun reading two different takes. And the latter ties into one of the Tales story arcs ending.

According to that article the first Image trade comes out May 16th, that's still a while from now. Any idea how many issues? That would give us a good indication when the finale is coming. If the first trade only collects the first 5 issues...we probably aren't getting the 3 new issues till 2019.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #53
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

It's issue #1 of a 26-issue series a la Color Classics that's releasing on May 16. The article doesn't specify if the book is monthly, but assuming it is then we'd see #24 in September 2020.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it seems like for 2 years we will get "TMNT: Urban Legends, the ongoing series," as if it's 1996 all over again... which is awesome. Colorized issues of Image TMNT arriving every month, all the way to and through the conclusion.

After that the TPBs come.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wait....what. I thought these were trades. Are they really releasing one issue a month? There's 23 issues...are you telling me it's going to take 23 months (2 years) for the conclusion?

Wow. That's crazy.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Are they really releasing one issue a month?
Sounds like it. Why not? I'll buy every one. 2000% support this.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

2020 is a long time away. How do we know what can change between now and then? The sales of the color classics could be poor causing IDW to cancel them. From what I remember the Color classics of the old Mirage issues sold poorly, the only reason they continued as long as they did is for the trades. Or IDW could lose the TMNT license by 2020, any number of things could happen between now and then.

From the sounds of things this deal was planned for awhile, how long does it take to write/script 3 comics? Especially since they already have their notes and story ideas of what they wanted to do? Why don't they just release the 3 issues ahead of time whenever they complete them...and then of course by 2020 release trades with everything.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Mmm, I'd definitely rather them just do trades up front. This is not a popular series by any means (unfortunately), I'd hate to see a repeat of the past.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Mmm, I'd definitely rather them just do trades up front. This is not a popular series by any means (unfortunately)
Their selling value on eBay these days might beg the differ. But who knows on the actual shelves, month in, month out... though there is whole generations of fans curious and into Image TMNT after the fact, posthumously. And IDW behind them, there is an actual push.

As a reader, I don't see the worry. This is like if a "Agents of Wakanda" TV show was announced tomorrow and we have a guaranteed seasons 1-4 and a guaranteed ending to it, no matter the ratings anywhere over the course of it, with guaranteed 4K Blu-ray box sets to it after the fact. What's wrong with that?

About the whole thing, though, if one were to ask me how I feel about it personally? It's a mixed bag. You can imagine my situation. People and some articles are saying "Well, now Image TMNT is getting a PROPER conclusion!" and they're not wrong. But... I spent about 3, 4 years of my free time making a carefully calculated "proper" conclusion with a large group of others who all poured months and years of their time into it, wholly above board with Frank and Gary, and with their input, notes and even artwork. Ya know? I feel like we did a "proper" conclusion, within the boundaries of what we could do, and maybe even some above. We have a cover pencilled by Fosco and inked by Eastman, done in good faith. When the sale to Viacom/Nick happened, Kevin Eastman and I went all over the place, shopping this Image conclusion to Boom! and Dark Horse, when Erik Larsen himself was fully willing and ready to print and publish it at Image. I did conference calls with Nickelodeon's publishing ladies to push this, sweating and pushing this over the phone. It was a, "This is interesting that you would want to continue this old thing, but... we'll let you know." And this was the Wild West! After the Viacom sale but before the IDW deal, but not long before. But still I hounded the Nick execs. It was only when all avenues were exhausted (and keep in mind, up until this point this was a pitch that was 100% written by Carlson and drawn by Fosco, all the way, I had no stake in this beyond just brokering the deal) that I went, "Well crud, let's just f***ing go ahead and do this, because no one else is." And we did, and I'm very proud of it.

That said, none of that is Gary or Frank's problem. They're just guys who got the rug pulled out from under them back in 1999 that were on board the various pitches I was pushing to where it seemed like they could be pushed to realize a conclusion. And they're both amazing guys. I've sat in Fosco's living room and he's made me the most amazing pasta, and been taken by him to the most amazing pizza in Chicago. Let's give them the rug back. Gently. AND it's in color? You should see some of my letters in the lettercol of like... every issue of Vol. 3 berating this, or being 500% fanboy. Or don't, actually. Yeesh! 16, 17 year-old me is an even bigger a**hole than 36 year-old me!

Very stoked this is happening.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-21-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 AM   #60
AquaParade
Banned

Maybe it’s fitting in a way that your Image TMNT ending is forever in a limbo of canon, just as the whole of volume 3 itself is. Turtle timelines are always ambiguous. The legacy of TMNT comics has always been rooted in independent creators carving their own path, which your project lives up to. Just my two cents.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cyborg donatello, image, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends