The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #61
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I didn't have broadband until March 2005. Things were different back then...
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #62
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Find the contractor who painted your parents' bathroom with lead and sue him for all he's got then, sir. You may already be involved in a class-action lawsuit, check your mailbox.

Four characters isn't difficult to hang onto. Great googly-moogly.
The problem is it's four characters here, four characters there. Unless it was something they continued to follow as adults or has remained pop culture relevant, you can't really expect people to remember the names of all the characters of every show they have vague memories of seeing 30 years ago as a child.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #63
Leo656
The Franchise

I can and I do. You have no idea the kind of unreasonable demands I'm capable of.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #64
ABrown
Banned

I think around the time that the 4Kids TMNT series came it, it was a golden age for action cartoons. There was also the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited series which was in (I'm pretty sure it was) its second season. The Mike Young Productions He-man series was in its short run. That show should've gotten at LEAST another 26 episodes. I believe Static Shock was finishing up its run. Teen Titans and the MTV Spiderman series(es) were about to start. And if none of those were appealing to you, Transformers was in the "Unicron Trilogy". Today you pretty much have your choice between Transformers Cyberverse, Rise of the TMNT, and Star Wars Resistance. Ah how times have changed.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #65
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

From what I remember, Yu-gi-oh!, Pokémon, and Spongebob were the dominant brands at the time, and it seemed like Yu-gi-oh! was a little more popular with the older kids.

Scooby Doo saw a revival in the 90s that carried on well into the 2000s with What's New Scooby Doo? Same with Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes, but not to the same degree. Power Rangers was still a thing, although probably not as big as in the 90s. Sonic remained relevant with with Sonic X and the games on the PS2, Xbox, and GC.

Kids WB, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney had some memorable cartoons. (Jackie Chan Adventures, Samurai Jack, Dragon Ball Z, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Kim Possible, etc.) Star Wars and Lord of the Rings were everywhere. There were also things like Tech Deck skateboards, LEGO Bionicle, Magnetix, and Beyblade.

Personally, I was into Pixar movies, the Need for Speed games, Pokémon, Scooby Doo, TMNT (which none of my friends talked or cared about that much), Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Star Wars, and Bionicle. I also had short lived obsessions with Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman every time a movie of their's came out for some reason.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #66
Overlord

I would say the typical Fred Wolf fan was a child.

The typical 4 Kids fan was a guy or girl in his or her early 20's who at the time had just begun working or studied in a university. While growing up with Fred Wolf, he or she experienced nostalgia with the 4 Kids series.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #67
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I suppose a good question is. how many of us never left fandom and was TMNT our number one interest all the time? For me it was and I developed secondary interest that changed with time from Power Rangers to Pokemon to Batman while never leaving TMNT or putting it on the back burner even in the dead years from 1998 to 2002.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #68
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
No other media characters appeared only Mirage or original
Because it was, at least for the most part, based on Mirage. It still managed to be a good cartoon even without characters that appeared in the FW toon. I'd argue the lack of FW characters in Rise is not even remotely one of the problems with that series.

Well the TMNT social media pages at the very least acknowledges it. Fans love it but I can only hope Viacom can give us a proper DVD & Blue-Ray release. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing starts to happen with the 2k12 series as well.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #69
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Because it was, at least for the most part, based on Mirage. It still managed to be a good cartoon even without characters that appeared in the FW toon. I'd argue the lack of FW characters in Rise is not even remotely one of the problems with that series.

Well the TMNT social media pages at the very least acknowledges it. Fans love it but I can only hope Viacom can give us a proper DVD & Blue-Ray release. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing starts to happen with the 2k12 series as well.
Wasn't the Nickelodeon series already relased to DVD in correct order from the beginning (except the 2017 Fred Wolf crossovers and the future episodes)?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #70
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Wasn't the Nickelodeon series already relased to DVD in correct order from the beginning (except the 2017 Fred Wolf crossovers and the future episodes)?
Sorry, I meant that the 2012 series will recieve the same status of getting no new products for fans of the series. We just get FW related items and of course Rise since it's the latest incarnation.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #71
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is Rise a hit? The premiere episode told me all I needed to know. Its bad and not anything I can appreciate.

2003 cartoon had a solid storyarc and was more serious throughout. I wanted to see characters introduced outside the Mirage comics incorporated in a more serious toned series to see how they would work. IDW is doing what I wanted to see in the 2003 cartoon.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #72
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I didn't say Rise is a hit but the lack of FW characters is one of the few things I don't have a problem with compared to everything else about that cartoon. I'm just saying that I don't see why the 4Kids series needed the likes of B & R, Krang, etc. for a Mirage styled show. If they're there cool but there are some versions where I can go without them.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #73
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I didn't say Rise is a hit but the lack of FW characters is one of the few things I don't have a problem with compared to everything else about that cartoon. I'm just saying that I don't see why the 4Kids series needed the likes of B & R, Krang, etc. for a Mirage styled show. If they're there cool but there are some versions where I can go without them.
The Purple Dragons are pretty much Human Bebop and Rocksteady (except not that stupid for the sake of comedy), Chrell, especially when being off Earth, is pretty much Krang, especially his Archie counterpart.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #74
Chet
Thug

Certainly my favorite animated series by far, hope it gets a release.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 AM   #75
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Certainly my favorite animated series by far, hope it gets a release.
If so, it must happen soon. Within some years, the DVD and Bluray formats will be very limited.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #76
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Took the time to read the original post. I plead guilty to not watching it until the 2012 series was in the second half of its own run: I never did watch an excessive amount of TV (in my first few years, we didn't even have cable), and at the time 2003 was airing, I was busy with an Invader Zim phase, as short lived as that series was. I also plead guilty to being one of those people who was caught off guard by its darker tone than the 87 cartoon, though it was a bit hypocritical of me in retrospect due to the aforementioned Zim phase.

Now that I've watched it and grown to love it, however, I'd like to think the future will treat it better than when it came out. Its relative faithfulness to the original source material (Mirage) aside, I have also seen a few other active fans who still occassionally make art and writing based on that series.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #77
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Took the time to read the original post. I plead guilty to not watching it until the 2012 series was in the second half of its own run: I never did watch an excessive amount of TV (in my first few years, we didn't even have cable), and at the time 2003 was airing, I was busy with an Invader Zim phase, as short lived as that series was. I also plead guilty to being one of those people who was caught off guard by its darker tone than the 87 cartoon, though it was a bit hypocritical of me in retrospect due to the aforementioned Zim phase.

Now that I've watched it and grown to love it, however, I'd like to think the future will treat it better than when it came out. Its relative faithfulness to the original source material (Mirage) aside, I have also seen a few other active fans who still occassionally make art and writing based on that series.
Based on the comments fans leave on YouTube videos of episodes and old Fox Box/4Kids TV ads, there is still a dedicated fanbase for this show. I wonder if I'll feel the same way about Rise of the TMNT. I have yet to watch a single episode lol.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote