The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 AM   #81
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
In a later film, it’s revealed the Shredder who attacked them at TCRI is not the same one that was killed by a fall. Rather, he’s the criminal Ch’rell, who was seen on a wanted poster at TCRI.
Why would an extraterrestrial impose a modern-day Shredder?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #82
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why would an extraterrestrial impose a modern-day Shredder?
We soon learn about an ancient Shredder from feudal times in the same film. Ch’rell simply took the modern armor because it was nearby.

The DVD has a short based on “Notes from the Underground”, to establish how Goseico are using mutagens and remaining a threat. This would also establish Baron Draxum as a potential future bad guy, and the ruler over the city of the Underground Monsters. Also tease how the next film will feature time-space travel and hence allow Ch’rell to come back out of the portal.

Another featurette has Eric Sachs, who has “invented” a portal to appease an unknown master (he stole it from TCRI), craft a semi-autonomous combat armor which he calls “Chrome Dome”. After encountering him in an underground fight club ran by Mr. X(ever), Eric kidnaps Alopex (who is on her morning walk through the sewers) and tries to take her to his master. The Turtles end up taking him out with one well-placed shoulder tackle, and rescue Alopex.

Impressed, Sachs constructs a new project that’s based around the Turtles, but his master has other ideas... The product of this is a Turtle or that commands Mouser units, serving as an exciting fight for Alopex to take center stage.

In the end, Sachs ends up right inside the coven of the Underground Monsters.

Visually, the films would keep the Turtles distinct, yet slender and ninja-worthy. Red bandanas would be used, because the physical alte rations would be enough. The films would be set in the 1980s, and keep a more Mirage-ish atmosphere.

Last edited by miru; 08-11-2018 at 12:28 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #83
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Don't have the rivalry between Leo and Raph. I mean yeah they're the dominant turtles so they're going to but heads. And maybe you can have the conflict appear on the surface to be Raph and Leo, but then have it turn out the conflict was something no one was expecting.

For example with the 2007 movie, there were two sequel plot ideas. I heard about these plot lines on the Turtle Flakes podcast.

The first sequel had Mikey being tired of always being seen and treated like the baby brother. So he goes to Karai and tells her he doesn't know where he fits, and Karai tells him "Maybe the Foot Clan is where you belong"

And the second one one had the Triceratons, so we could have seen the those bipedal triceropods in a TMNT film.

Unfortunately since this film bombed these sequels were never made.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #84
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

If I had to use Shredder as the main villain for the first film again I would make the story more of a focus on his and Splinters connection. The Turtles would be prominent but more along for the ride. It would be more of a memoir narrative setting in that regard.

It can work and give fans who aren't very privy to Turtles lore a more inside look about Splinter and Shredder if you do it well enough no one but nitpickers would complained the Turtles aren't really the heroes of the story.

If it made enough for a sequel then the focus would be more on the Turtles, heck have them give commentary on little control they have on their own lives.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #85
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Finally caught the second Guardians of the Galaxy. The Turtles really really need the humor element similarly expertly woven into it, not the dumbed down forced nonsense they went for last time.

An allover similar treatment as GotG would be amazing. If a frigging talking racoon can be taken seriously, it's shameful if film makers can't manage it with the Turtles; esp with them even being a heck of a lot more humanoid.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #86
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'm not sure I'd want TMNT to be given the Guardians treatment.

The movie version of the Guardians of the Galaxy are comedic characters in a comedic environment. Sure, they balance that out with with moments of drama or more mature content but the overall approach to the movies is embracing the goofiness of it all.

TMNT works best when they are comedic characters in a realistic environment. Even the comedy aspect of the characters is largely in their interactions with each other. There's a reason why that elevator scene from the first Platinum Dunes movie was the popular aspect of that movie. It speaks volumes about the quality of the movie that a scene like that (which wasn't anything special) would stand out. Platinum Dunes took notice of that scenes popularity but misread why people liked it and gave us more goofy ****.

Even the 80s animated series started off with a smidgen of seriousness and you could argue kids tailed off the more goofy it got. I don't think there's a version of TMNT out there that hasn't hemorrhaged popularity the goofier it's gotten (apart from the versions that were ultra goofy at the start). If Out Of The Shadows is any indication embracing the goofiness of the concept is not the way to go.

I don't deny that back in the early days of the franchise a lot of it's appeal was the strangeness of the concept but the public have had over thirty years to acclimate to the concept of TMNT. Considering the kind of things that have become popular since then TMNT actually looks pretty normal by comparison. Maybe the approach should be to highlight why fans stayed with franchise instead of trying to constantly recreate what drew them in the first place.

Ideally I think TMNT would fit well with the tone of most of the other MCU movies but I think they tried that with Out Of The Shadows and the fact that even ripping off The Avengers look and story it missed the mark I think it's blotted TMNT's copy book when it comes to that approach. I think it definitely needs something much more unexpected, something that makes people sit up and notice "oh they're doing TMNT like this now. I wonder how that's going to work".
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #87
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
There's a reason why that elevator scene from the first Platinum Dunes movie was the popular aspect of that movie. It speaks volumes about the quality of the movie that a scene like that (which wasn't anything special) would stand out. Platinum Dunes took notice of that scenes popularity but misread why people liked it and gave us more goofy ****.
Not to mention is was supposedly just the actors goofing off and they decided to include it. So one of the most liked parts of the movie was the one piece that wasn't written or directed.

But that's the thing though, and why I liked the way GotG more genuine feeling humor that doesn't feel forced. Though clearly the PD writers couldn't do genuine to save their lives. (Maybe the new writer can...)

Instead of forcing it in OofS and making the intended humor so fake maybe they should have just left the actors free to goof off just a little when shooting scenes since they supposedly all clicked so well anyhow. Not overdone, but if they were free to be a bit playful with it, it might have hit on something closer to that elevator scene in terms of believability and enjoyment of their antics.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #88
miru
Mad Scientist

Would an IDW based film work? Probably easy to shoot for a PG-13 using, and having a ton of story potential thrown in.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #89
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not familiar enough to really judge it, but I suppose it depends on what you pull from it and at what point in the story. If pulling from something more original to IDW then that would be cool. Personally I'm tired of rehashing the same things over and over and don't want the foundation of it screwed with and, while it's an interesting take, not big on the reincarnation route.

[Edit: Yeah... I'm just going to start rambling on about stuff from here, so fair warning.]

Just still wish someone had the guts to fast forward a little and hit new ground with somewhat older Turtles instead of trying to reinvent what's been done. Original stories (that work for them and fit within the types of themes typical of them) would be nice.

As for possible new foes for original film stories... Please, for the love of god, do not create lame, dull, or otherwise annoying villeins. I mean...who involved in the production really looked at Eric Sachs and thought, "This is an interesting character"?? Evil businessman-scientist who really only just wants to get rich (and got a lot less screen time than "April") is about as boring as you can get. Even if he stayed being Shredder he's still boring as hell and pointless to have ever wanted to force to be Shredder to begin with, esp since the Shredder is basically just a robot in terms of the visuals.

I'm all for more earthbound bad guys, and kind of prefer it, but at least make them interesting. Enough so that a character like Fox's half-assed April doesn't actually end up with more screen time than the villain. Maybe films sometimes try to contain themes that resonate with the audience at certain periods of times, and maybe a self centered businessman who wants to get rich at the expense of others is believable in this day and age (sans sicking an entire city)...it just doesn't say "TMNT." It sounds more like a theme for some classy, scheming, scandalous Wall Street suspense movie, not a film for four mutant guys.

Although, if Sachs turned out to be Krang's android body and he was trying to harm the city for his own purposes, NOT to "get rich," then they might have had something.

Had the next been intended as a sequel, even loosely, I'd have liked for Krang to at least make a comeback and be a legitimate threat for once. Easily fits into the genre of an alien attack movie, with the attack actually being 75% of the film, from the perspective of the Turtles who are also experiencing it like everyone else in the city, but are also trying to lend a hand to stop it and inevitably end up the heroes who do. (Do I want yet another alien attack film, even if TMNT style... eh...? But it's better than 2016 mostly deciding to just have a little scavenger hunt instead. )

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-14-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #90
miru
Mad Scientist

If we do get a Mirage-accurate treatment, I think the classic theme should be used as an Ironic Nursery Tune/Moody Trailer Cover Song for the trailers or even the titles. Especially how we could twist the lyrics of those old tunes... This would sell people on exactly what sort of film they're getting.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Would an IDW based film work? Probably easy to shoot for a PG-13 using, and having a ton of story potential thrown in.
I wouldn't be against that, particularly with the reincarnation angle. But they'd need to dial the Fred Wolf stuff back about 75%.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #92
Kaine
New Recruit

No more brotherly feud stuff between Raph or Leonardo.. it's getting rehashed and old, imo.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #93
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, it's kind of part of their dynamic and conflicting personalities, but I agree they don't need to try to point it out all the time.

Butting heads a little is enough to keep their dynamic without always having to include a fight in the script to prove these two are like fire and ice...but ultimately have each other's backs.

Tags
from nm to mw, seppuku