The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #21
sdp
-

I really liked the Dogpound / Fishface duo before they broke them up and made Dogpound Razzar. Hope they make it in future incarnations.

I'd love to see TigerClaw and that lizard mutant come back but I'm sure those are easy picks.

I hope to god we don't see Spyderbites come back.

I never liked Ice Cream Kitty but he was popular so I'm guessing he has a chance.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ice Cream Kitty is a girl, though
Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Turtles seem to get a different pet in each series, IDW has Raph with that pet dino. Nick had Ice Cream Kitty. Mirage and 4kids had Klunk a normal cat.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #24
Allio
Foot Elite

at best I see it more of a one sided relationship. Kind of like Raven and Maddie from one of the other series I read.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
at best I see it more of a one sided relationship. Kind of like Raven and Maddie from one of the other series I read.
You're an anime fan with a yuri avatar, if you're referring to Karai/Shinigami you know good and well if this were an anime they would be all over each other.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No one can just be friends anymore, can they.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #27
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You're an anime fan with a yuri avatar, if you're referring to Karai/Shinigami you know good and well if this were an anime they would be all over each other.
"If this were an anime" has nothing to really do with anything, and my avatar has nothing to do with my character observation. At best Shinigami has fasination with Karai, would literally do anything for her (if Karai said "strip now" she of course would do it without a second thought, if Karai said "kill yourself" she would slit her throat right then and there) But karai has no interest in any for of romantic relationship and more than likely Shinirai will never happen. Their relationship will more than likely never more from that of Shinigami watching from a distance, watching and waiting for her next order.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Chris
Mad Scientist

I can definitely see the eye colours staying along with the switching to white eyes for the action scenes. Same for the unique body shapes. Both had been done before (to a lesser extent) and I can't see any reason why they'd go back to the guys all looking identical.

Younger/more active Splinter I can see them using again (maybe not in 2K18, they might want to go older, making him a wise old mystic)

The Splinter/Shredder/Karai dynamic will definitely be used again, it worked really well.

Characters like Tiger Claw, Dogpound, Fishface may pop up again, probably not in as major roles but definitely guest appearances.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Nick cartoon started off introducing a lot of new characters like Snakeweed, Spiderbitez, Chris Bradford, Xever/Fishface...however as it went on they stopped doing that and just kept bring back old characters from past series with new twists.

Then it seemed like they started scanning their eyes through the old Playmates toy catalog and started bring back each popular old mutant one after the other. If you look at almost all the characters introduced from Season 2 onward, the vast majority of them are old characters just redesigned/updated.

They also used pretty much all the important Mirage characters, the only ones they really left out was Nobody and the Justice Force (which some are happy about), and they brought in Bishop and Hun from 4kids. From Archie we got Armaggon and the Mutanimals intepertations of the characters. We even got Tatsu from the movies.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #30
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Nick cartoon started off introducing a lot of new characters like Snakeweed, Spiderbitez, Chris Bradford, Xever/Fishface...however as it went on they stopped doing that and just kept bring back old characters from past series with new twists.

Then it seemed like they started scanning their eyes through the old Playmates toy catalog and started bring back each popular old mutant one after the other. If you look at almost all the characters introduced from Season 2 onward, the vast majority of them are old characters just redesigned/updated.

They also used pretty much all the important Mirage characters, the only ones they really left out was Nobody and the Justice Force (which some are happy about), and they brought in Bishop and Hun from 4kids. From Archie we got Armaggon and the Mutanimals intepertations of the characters. We even got Tatsu from the movies.
I dont fee like they are old characters to me, They feel like new characters, but with an old character name slapped onto them, in name only.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Only for a few, the vast majority of them are old characters with new designs and some changes, which everyone would expect. No TMNT character is exactly the same between any series.

In the original cartoon Mutagen Man was a mail delivery boy who could shapeshift. In Nick, Mutagen Man was Timmy. In IDW, Mutagen Man is not human at all, just a combination of different mutants put together by Null's company.

Characters are always different between series.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
ChosenOne
Banned

I really enjoyed Chris Bradford's introduction in this cartoon, probably one of my favorite episodes of all five seasons. He has the potential to be a great character in any future adaptations that take more of a slow burn approach to Shredder's eventual introduction and need a good villain in the meantime.

Plus, his relationship with Mikey was pure gold! I wish the show would've explored it further even post-mutation. They do say to never meet your idols...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

The interactions between the Turtles themselves were good for (most) of the show, and I wonder if we'll ever have stuff like this again. Leonardo being more down to earth and being more of a geeky leader who likes Space Heroes, Don being filled with anxiety and being outspoken, Raph's personality in Nick in general was a perfect mix of anger/sarcasm. Mikey was too dumb at times as the show progressed, but when he had his moments it was good.

It also was really the first series where the Turtles actually felt like teenagers. Every other series and comics makes the Turtles seem like they're 20 year olds or something, this show was the first one that accurately portrayed them as being around 15.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #34
2K3
Foot Soldier

It's nice to see Pigeon Pete is being used in IDW; though I'd like to see Dr. Rockwell, Shinigami, Tiger Claw, Newtralizer and the Fungus Humongous appear in future TMNT.
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder if we'll continue to see evil Utrom (or Kraang) in future incarnations. Besides using Krang himself, it does seem like the cartoons would make better use of the Utroms or some of them being evil rather than them all being a benevolent race. I don't know if they'll continue to use the name, "The Kraang" but having evil Utroms will probably continue.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #36
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That's my hope at the very least. Even the Mirage Utroms started to drop the "all good & benevolent" veil, with the Illuminated and the "we were going to clean up the radioactive junk we dumped in the middle of a jungle, we swear!" act.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I probably see Tigerclaw coming back, I think he will be the bounty hunter that either hunts the Turtles for another organisation (maybe by one of Shredder's rivals) or as a private hire by Shredder when he needs more bodies.

Xever might come back, but I can't see him working for Shredder again. Probably would end up as part of a gang that get's mutated, like possibly the same one Bebop/Rocksteady gang are from.

Chris Bradford probably will, but I see him as for the initial character set up for the eventual return of Rahzar. I think Rahzar's more skeletal form will definitely return, because it is horrific enough from the standard 'normal' animal mutations that it will probably represent an escalation of mutation, likely as what a second mutation will do to your body.

I think Karai will probably be Splinter's (or somebody's) daughter again. Alternately, there is a possibility that it could be reversed, that there is initial idea of her being Splinter's daughter, only it turns out she's Shredder's.

I really hope we don't have a return of psychic/Kraang Hybrid April. They don't seem to be able to write strong female characters without turning them into love interests or giving them ridiculous over the top powers. I hope they make her more 'normal' next time, like either have her just be an outsider looking in (like OT April) or somebody that isn't necessarily a ninja, but has her own fighting style.

Another thing I hope doesn't return is the dismal ending. Having a dismal ending makes all of their prior struggles feel pointless, why get excited if the world will end up nothing but a craphole anyway?
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, it seemed like this show salvaged Rahzar from relative obscurity of a movie character and his grand total of 1 original cartoon appearance and the videogames to be more of a central character. A wolf mutant in general is always cool and something you can do things with.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 AM   #39
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post

I really hope we don't have a return of psychic/Kraang Hybrid April. They don't seem to be able to write strong female characters without turning them into love interests or giving them ridiculous over the top powers. I hope they make her more 'normal' next time, like either have her just be an outsider looking in (like OT April) or somebody that isn't necessarily a ninja, but has her own fighting style.
I didn't mind April's powers so much. But yeah I thought her being a psychic human/kraang hybrid was rather forced. Heck, the Kraang even forget about why they wanted her so badly.

In season one of this particular incarnation, they seem to go with the living weapon angle, but then when the Kraang has her they appear to use her more as a living battery not a living weapon. And then in season 2 it's revealed they created her because her DNA is able to stabilize the mutagen.

And then following that they don't care about her or her connections to them anymore.

If it could be written again, just have her have a strong intuition or maybe psychic powers and if she must be tied to the kraang by that. Say she's actually a neutrino who was sent to earth for her protection from Kraang... or heck, have Kirby and April's assumed mother forced to work for the Kraang to create a human who is intended to serve the Kraang as a living weapon. And then have them defect when they find the first opportunity, take April with them and raise her as their own and have her believe she is a normal human girl.

Or maybe include a storyline where she had a distant relative who was one of the people who was a guardian (the people who knew about and protected the Utroms)

Last edited by victory_angel; 10-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #40
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I didn't mind April's powers so much. But yeah I thought her being a psychic human/kraang hybrid was rather forced. Heck, the Kraang even forget about why they wanted her so badly.

In season one of this particular incarnation, they seem to go with the living weapon angle, but then when the Kraang has her they appear to use her more as a living battery not a living weapon. And then in season 2 it's revealed they created her because her DNA is able to stabilize the mutagen.

And then following that they don't care about her or her connections to them anymore.

If it could be written again, just have her have a strong intuition or maybe psychic powers and she must be tied to the kraang by that. Say she's actually a neutrino who was sent to earth for her protection from Kraang... or heck, have Kirby and April's assumed mother forced to work for the Kraang to create a human who is intended to serve the Kraang as a living weapon. And then have them defect when they find the first opportunity, take April with them and raise her as their own and have her believe she is a normal human girl.

Or maybe include a storyline where she had a distant relative who was one of the people who was a guardian (the people who knew about and protected the Utroms)
I think what it was for me was not so much she had powers, but that they kept escalating them to the point she was starting to feel like a Mary Sue. First was the intuition, which was fine. Maybe that would help when she was in trouble or the Turtles encountered a strange new mutant. Then it started becoming being able to use psychic blasts. Then mindlinking. Then telekinesis. Then someone saying 'She's only just barely scratched the surface of what she can do.' It kept going and going, if I can recall correctly, to where it was said 'The center of the universe is April's mind' or something like that. They took a nifty concept and blew it to smithereens, to the point I thought she would end up vastly outpowering all four Turtles themselves. I wouldn't have minded intuition or even some telepathy ( fitting with what the Kraang can do.) But they just kept tacking on more and more abilities, and I just thought, 'I'm done.'
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote