The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
Blomberg
Random Punk

TMNT 80's

Hello,

I have a question, recently a dug op my old 80's TMNT figures from the attic. All my TMNT figures became sticky. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do about it?

Thanks
Blomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomberg View Post
Hello,

I have a question, recently a dug op my old 80's TMNT figures from the attic. All my TMNT figures became sticky. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do about it?

Thanks
I read about people using baby powder so I tried it on some of my vintage pickups this year. Covered the figs/accessories up with it and let it sit for a day or so. Washed it off. It seemed like it took some sticky away, but nowhere near all of it.

So then I gave them a quick goo-gone rub down & rinse. This took more of it off, sometimes all, but sometimes there was still a bit left and not sure if they will gain it back over time.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I have a Worf from Star Trek that does this. I just wash him periodically. I think it is something they used in the plastic that seeps out on some figures over time.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah it sucks when this happens. They still display well. But are not fun to pose because of the tackiness. Also the mental/psychological factor of knowing some consider them not as mint because of sticky residue.

I do think it’s a chemical that naturally seeps from some plastics. Storage methods can accelerate the sweating of the chemical in the figures. I have found nothing to help this after it has already occurred. It happens a lot!

From what I’ve read Items stored in sealed containers, baggies, boxes, MOC or MIB can’t breathe and the plastic chemical can’t escape and will cling to the figure causing the stickiness or tackiness.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 11-16-2017 at 03:11 PM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Honestly, it's kind of a lost cause, I'm sorry to say. When the plasticizer starts to leak, there's no turning back. Warm soap/water can lessen it temporarily but the problem will continue after.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

My mom brought me a few she saw at a yard sale a couple years ago and all of them were sticky like that. Tried washing them and whatnot, but nothing helped. On the other hand, I've got two oldies (loose out of package) I've bought off of eBay that aren't at all and still seem pretty new. I'm really suspecting the heat from being in an attic may be a factor and just a breakdown of the plastic.

At some point I will hopefully find what became of my own small childhood collection, which I'm hoping have not succumbed to the same issue.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #7
Blomberg
Random Punk

Thanks for the help everyone!
Blomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Yea I can't get it off some of mine
I'll take any ideas but like powder said I think it's a lost cause