The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #261
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Anticipating SocJus screeching.
Oh, already have started? Well...

I still wonder why leftards have such a hate hard-on on this movie: isn't "eat the rich" is kind of their "raison d'ĂȘtre"? No, seriously, what this movie does so special that no-one have done or said before to deserve their ire?

Or they are pissed off, because, protagonist of the movie is a villain and this is unacceptable in the [current year], because, media should provide only positive examples and encouragement and everything that doesn't fit this mold, is a fuel for the alt-right?

Is it too complex for them?

Or they are so hateful, because, this movie paints an accurate picture of internet SJWs / antifa and the like as unlikable losers who pretend to be heroes and revolutionaries in their minds, but in reality just broken nutjobs, with no concept of real empathy or compassion, no different then school shooters or ISIS terrorists?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #262
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Anticipating SocJus screeching.
Oh, already have started? Well...

I still wonder why leftards have such a hate hard-on on this movie: isn't "eat the rich" is kind of their "raison d'ĂȘtre"? No, seriously, what this movie does so special that no-one have done or said before to deserve their ire?

Or they are pissed off, because, protagonist of the movie is a villain and this is unacceptable in the [current year], because, media should provide only positive examples and encouragement and everything that doesn't fit this mold, is a fuel for the alt-right?

Is it too complex for them?

Or they are so hateful, because, this movie paints an accurate picture of internet SJWs / antifa and the like as unlikable losers who pretend to be heroes and revolutionaries in their minds, but in reality just broken nutjobs, with no concept of real empathy or compassion, no different then school shooters or ISIS terrorists?

This post deleted by Voltron. better screen shot it ;o)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #263
AquaParade
Banned

The controversy around the movie was always manufactured. Both sides were preemptively looking for a reason to fear and hate this film.
Extremists on the right claiming it was an Anti-Trump piece and extremists on the left claiming that it would inspire violence.

No one had seen the film, but with the political climate the way it is, especially surrounding Hollywood, many people jumped to conclusions in an effort to get ahead of the curve. There are foolish people on all sides of the political spectrum and they came out to play for this film.

The script may have alluded to or touched on many subjects, but it wasn't ever about the right, left, Trump, or would-be killers, as the loud-mouth's would have you fear and believe. They love getting your clicks.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #264
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
The controversy around the movie was always manufactured. Both sides were preemptively looking for a reason to fear and hate this film.
I agree, but I still don't see the reason why.

Are everyone afraid of the Joker influence as a character, because, of the Dark Knight?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #265
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I agree, but I still don't see the reason why.

Are everyone afraid of the Joker influence as a character, because, of the Dark Knight?
Good question. I think it's just the norm for Hollywood/social media right now. Marvel blockbusters have also turned into political battlegrounds.

Joker is a unique and provocative film. We could sense that before we even really knew what it was about. Perhaps that stirred up an extra dose of anxiety. Pretty common for people to get riled up and just to conclusions though.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #266
Leo656
The Franchise

Let's just put it out there, it's only "unique" to people who never saw "Taxi Driver" or "King of Comedy".

Every bit of the story and plot is recycled from other things. Phoenix's performance elevates the movie into something far greater than the sum of its parts. Those parts are all perfectly fine, there's nothing really "wrong" with it, but it's simply "functional" with anyone else in the titular role.

Not the first time a great performance elevated the entire project, so all the credit where it's due. But it's far from "unique"; there's been a ton of movies like this, this is just arguably the first time they borrowed the title of a comic book character to sell more tickets, and it worked like a charm.

Just Sayin'.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #267
CyberCubed
Overlord

Every time I watch a movie about a villain or "bad guy" or gangster, I feel like "raging against the machine" so to speak. It makes me want to turn to a life of crime. As the opening of Goodfellas says, "I always wanted to be a gangster."

Movies always make bad guys look cool....until they either get killed or arrested by the end of the film. They're always shot full of hot led or brought to justice. A lot of critics complained about the ending of Joker because it felt like Joker, "won" and didn't get put in his place.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #268
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Let's just put it out there, it's only "unique" to people who never saw "Taxi Driver" or "King of Comedy".

Every bit of the story and plot is recycled from other things. Phoenix's performance elevates the movie into something far greater than the sum of its parts. Those parts are all perfectly fine, there's nothing really "wrong" with it, but it's simply "functional" with anyone else in the titular role.

Not the first time a great performance elevated the entire project, so all the credit where it's due. But it's far from "unique"; there's been a ton of movies like this, this is just arguably the first time they borrowed the title of a comic book character to sell more tickets, and it worked like a charm.

Just Sayin'.
Fair enough. It takes a lot from King or Comedy and Taxi Driver, but it’s still a very unique movie in this climate, and within it’s genre. Enough so to garner the attention it did.

Joaquin is the star of the film, no doubt, but I wouldn’t say he has to prop anything up. More like the rest of the film supports his acting. Like a great drummer that doesn’t overplay when the focus is on the melody. The musical score, cinematography, and script were all executed super well. And Todd brought the vision to life in the first place.

Maybe it’s semantics, because I agree that Joaquin is the best thing about it. I just appreciate the other elements as well.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-13-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #269
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Another award won, this time Phoenix wins his first SAG trophy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51173888
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #270
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Another award won, this time Phoenix wins his first SAG trophy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51173888
He had a great acceptance speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDpW-XSuoI
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #271
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Just Sayin'.
This is pretty much one of the rare times I agree with you, after watching the movie I thought it was okay. Joaquin Phoneix was great in it but like you said if you seen Taxi Driver or King of Comedy the movie wasn't that special or game changing.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #272
AquaParade
Banned

I see where you guys are coming from, because the movie takes heavily from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. For sure.

I'd slow down before denying that the film is "game changing" though. We've yet to see, but it is certainly unique within it's relative genre, the comicbook adaption, and considering comicbook adaptions are the biggest genre in the world right now, it could certainly prove to be game changing.

We haven't seen a comicbook film given this much creative leeway from the studio and we haven't seen one in this distinct Scorsese style which, to be fair, yeah this film copies in some big ways.

In conclusion, I'm not trying to argue that this film is groundbreaking on a storytelling level, but that it is distinct and unique in it's own ways, which will prove to be groundbreaking and could be quite beneficial for the genre, if we are lucky, imo.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #273
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
This is pretty much one of the rare times I agree with you
That's how it starts. Next thing you know we'll be on a date.

Huge fan of sushi, FYI. Bring money!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #274
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I see where you guys are coming from, because the movie takes heavily from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. For sure.

I'd slow down before denying that the film is "game changing" though. We've yet to see, but it is certainly unique within it's relative genre, the comicbook adaption, and considering comicbook adaptions are the biggest genre in the world right now, it could certainly prove to be game changing.

We haven't seen a comicbook film given this much creative leeway from the studio and we haven't seen one in this distinct Scorsese style which, to be fair, yeah this film copies in some big ways.

In conclusion, I'm not trying to argue that this film is groundbreaking on a storytelling level, but that it is distinct and unique in it's own ways, which will prove to be groundbreaking and could be quite beneficial for the genre, if we are lucky, imo.
Admittedly I do see it groundbreaking on that aspect and I hope we get a decent Doctor Doom movie or a Scorsese/Tarantino style Flash
s Rogues film.

Quote:
That's how it starts. Next thing you know we'll be on a date.

Huge fan of sushi, FYI. Bring money!
You will fill up on bread and we will go Dutch
Old 01-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #275
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
You will fill up on bread and we will go Dutch
I have to wear tights every weekend, I can't load up on carbs.

Exceptions made for those Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits, obviously.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #276
Vegita-San
Emperor

Mostly through this movie. 20 minutes left.

I held off on it because i normally don't like super violent movies, and feared that this might be one of those. In a way, it was. in a way it wasn't.

-This Joker actually felt RIGHT. for the most part. that thing that heath ledger played wasn't the joker. that other thing with all the Tats wasn't the Joker. THIS felt more like the proper joker. a kind of updated version of Jack Nicholsons take.

- I didn't really care for them making him so mentally unstable and almost a victim.... we know all Bat Villains are a little off. but it almost makes him more of an anti hero starting out this way. the first people he takes out, are potentially murderous a-holes that might have killed him if he hadn't done something. and THEN he slowly starts snapping. I don't know if it really works as well that way.

- making his laugh part of a mental illness also takes something away from him. his laugh is usually a judging way of how he feels... if he does it at random, you don't really know what he's thinking.

- I didn't care for Thomas Wayne also being a Prick. Young Bruce NEEDS someone to look up to. that should have been his parents. if EVERYONE in gotham is a dick, why does bruce need to come back to defend it? It makes Rhas Al Ghul right in Batman Begins.

- The lady neighbor is pretty obviously this universes harley quinn. at least hat was my first thought.

- It's an extremely ambitious take on a super hero movie doing a movie 100% about the Villain. No or hardly any light at all. that's what makes it unique and stand out. you don't really know what's going to happen.

I'm surprised DC didn't do a proper Catwoman or Two Face movie next.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #277
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Mostly through this movie. 20 minutes left.

I held off on it because i normally don't like super violent movies, and feared that this might be one of those. In a way, it was. in a way it wasn't.

-This Joker actually felt RIGHT. for the most part. that thing that heath ledger played wasn't the joker. that other thing with all the Tats wasn't the Joker. THIS felt more like the proper joker. a kind of updated version of Jack Nicholsons take.

- I didn't really care for them making him so mentally unstable and almost a victim.... we know all Bat Villains are a little off. but it almost makes him more of an anti hero starting out this way. the first people he takes out, are potentially murderous a-holes that might have killed him if he hadn't done something. and THEN he slowly starts snapping. I don't know if it really works as well that way.

- making his laugh part of a mental illness also takes something away from him. his laugh is usually a judging way of how he feels... if he does it at random, you don't really know what he's thinking.

- I didn't care for Thomas Wayne also being a Prick. Young Bruce NEEDS someone to look up to. that should have been his parents. if EVERYONE in gotham is a dick, why does bruce need to come back to defend it? It makes Rhas Al Ghul right in Batman Begins.

- The lady neighbor is pretty obviously this universes harley quinn. at least hat was my first thought.

- It's an extremely ambitious take on a super hero movie doing a movie 100% about the Villain. No or hardly any light at all. that's what makes it unique and stand out. you don't really know what's going to happen.

I'm surprised DC didn't do a proper Catwoman or Two Face movie next.
Glad you enjoyed it. I liked it too.

I don't think Thomas Wayne being a hardass means Rhas Al Ghul is right that Gotham should burn. Sort of extreme if you ask me.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there is something up with his diagnosed laughter. I think they said that by the end it's actually him laughing and not just having outbursts.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-27-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #278
CyberCubed
Overlord

Who reviews a movie in the middle before watching the last 20 minutes? Like the biggest plot twist (for this movie) is in the last 20 minutes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #279
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Who reviews a movie in the middle before watching the last 20 minutes? Like the biggest plot twist (for this movie) is in the last 20 minutes.
And this lol.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #280
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, that's mad ****ing weird.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat the rich, incel joker, make gotham great again, yougetwhatyoudeserve