The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Doesn't make sense. Their likenesses get used here and there. Why should the names be a problem? The characters are owned by Nick, not the actors who portrayed them.
Yeah, aren't there any royalties involved because these characters were brought to life with real life actors? For example characters like Casey and April already existed before the movies so it didn't matter, or characters like Rahzar/Tokka are mutants and not real people....

But Tatsu, Keno, Prof. Jordan Perry, all the Movie III characters, etc. remained in limbo for years. I think the only reason Nick got away with using Tatsu is because "Tatsu" just means dragon and the guy just looked like any generic bald foot soldier.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
Ninjinister
無問題

I still call BS on the "need actors' permission" to use the characters. For one, they don't have to look even vaguely similar to their film counterparts. If we can have Hun be evil Bruce Lee, then Danny Pennington could be bald or have a crew cut or a goatee or be black, Hispanic, or f**king Hmong if they really wanted to use him.

And second, I am certain that more than a few actors would approve. TMNT was an important part of Ernie Reyes Jr.'s career and he's always down to do some TMNT-related stuff so the only thing I can see keeping him from approving of Keno's look in the series would be a draconian contract. The guy who played Norinaga is already f**king in the show so again, I don't see that being a stipulation.

Not to mention, all of the original human characters were pretty generic in appearance anyway, basing on the fact that you know, they're just people. Keno's probably the only one with a semi-iconic look and in any case there's probably 11,000 Asian delivery boys with mullets in the world. And if they really wanted, they could name drop Keno as Ciro's character anyway.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think the only reason Nick got away with using Tatsu is because "Tatsu" just means dragon and the guy just looked like any generic bald foot soldier.
What are you talking about? The show had no generic bald Foot Soldiers. The cartoon Tatsu looked just like Toshishiro Obata, he even had the same mustache and everything.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I honestly don't think 2K3 were intending to use Tatsu. Don't just assume because Hun happens to fill the same general role. Why would they use a character that was only in the 90s movies kids in 2K3 wouldn't know or care about.

Yes to new characters. They help the franchise grow.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #25
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yes to new characters. They help the franchise grow.
Only if they're great, like Hun and Tigerclaw (Bebop and Rocksteady are great in the original seires). Dogpound, Fishface and Snake aren't.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Something's going on with Tatsu on the Nick cartoon. Bobby remarked ages ago that Tatsu was on their "no fly" list for the IDW comic, due to rights from Golden Harvest. Yet the actual Nick cartoon can use not only the character, but roughly the likeness? Something had to have happened.

I actually wouldn't mind Tatsu or a Tatsu-like character being Shredder's #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja-zero View Post
Fun... but boring to me.
Yes, anything that's not "TMNT: Mutant Extravaganza" must = Boring. You sound like the boring one, sir.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #27
Cobrakahn
Random Punk

I would appreciate a return to classic Rocksteady and Bebop for mutant henchmen but would be happy with a return of the nickelodeon henchmen. They did such a great job with Rockwell and Sever I would love to see them again.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Something's going on with Tatsu on the Nick cartoon. Bobby remarked ages ago that Tatsu was on their "no fly" list for the IDW comic, due to rights from Golden Harvest. Yet the actual Nick cartoon can use not only the character, but roughly the likeness? Something had to have happened..
I honestly think it would be funny if Viacom specifically sought out the the rights to use Tatsu of all the movie characters, and him only.

I mean nobody is begging for the return of Keno the pizza delivery boy, Prof. Jordan Perry, Danny the runnaway kid, Pennington, or Princess Mitsu, Walker, or Lord Norinaga, are there?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #29
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Something's going on with Tatsu on the Nick cartoon. Bobby remarked ages ago that Tatsu was on their "no fly" list for the IDW comic, due to rights from Golden Harvest. Yet the actual Nick cartoon can use not only the character, but roughly the likeness? Something had to have happened.
Maybe giving him a surname, making him blind and a swordsman was a enough to legally make him a different character?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean nobody is begging for the return of Keno the pizza delivery boy, Prof. Jordan Perry, Danny the runnaway kid, Pennington, or Princess Mitsu, Walker, or Lord Norinaga, are there?
I personally liked Perry, even if Professor Harold in IDW has pretty much filled his role.

Of all the movie characters, however, Norinaga is the one movie villain/character I want back. There was so much untapped potential with him. Couldn't they have tied him to the Foot as an ancestor? I'd kill for him to return in a time travel scenario for a few episodes/comic issues in a new incarnation.

Miles better than Walker or Eric Sachs for sure.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Maybe giving him a surname, making him blind and a swordsman was a enough to legally make him a different character?
They did that? Then yeah, maybe.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #32
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think overusing the whole thing about Shredder having mutant henchmen isn't good for creativity. I suppose if they created a new villain they could give that character some henchmen but still it wouldn't be good to overuse that villain or those mutant henchmen. Some people here have suggested using previous mutants like the mutants from TMNT II, again I don't see the point of using them when they've appeared so much already. At least they shouldn't be used as villains every episode.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #33
ToTheNines
[sic]

Mirage used Charles Pennington. No physical resemblance though.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakahn View Post
I would appreciate a return to classic Rocksteady and Bebop for mutant henchmen but would be happy with a return of the nickelodeon henchmen. They did such a great job with Rockwell and Sever I would love to see them again.
Fishface's name is actually Xever but like... Rockwell is the monkey on the Mutanimals.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #35
ninja-zero
Hench Mutant

I think having mutant henchmen Shredder might balance it out.

Bebop & Rocksteady are brawlers. So its time Shredder had mutants who are "ninjas" for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu584pho8NY

But I don't wanna leave out Hun. Give him back his old incarnations. NOT the Bruce Lee one!
ninja-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #36
Powder
So tired of this place

Why the heck did you post the Ronin Warriors song though?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #37
ninja-zero
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Why the heck did you post the Ronin Warriors song though?
Well... in the opening theme, picture the turtles fighting their own mutant rival. Bebop & Rocksteady can come later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu584pho8NY 0:44-0:58
ninja-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #38
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Baxter Stokman is already working on my new henchmen that i will have from 2018 and beyond! They will be a mutant duck a spider and a elephant. All of them were foot ninajs working form e that i decided to mutate due to their skills and power be better than the other foot ninjas. You will see them soon enough. For now just wait!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #39
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
This. Yes, this.
What about the weird Mutant Shredder Clones?

Also, while I don't mind seeing Mutants when they fit the story, I don't think every version of TMNT needs to bring back every mutant from past versions. And, I don't think Shredder always needs hench-mutants either.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #40
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
What about the weird Mutant Shredder Clones?

Also, while I don't mind seeing Mutants when they fit the story, I don't think every version of TMNT needs to bring back every mutant from past versions. And, I don't think Shredder always needs hench-mutants either.
Well they're not really "mutants" as much as they're just botched experiments.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mutants, panda_cuck_fan, panda_is_not_a_cuck, panda_monkeys_around, shredder