The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Anyone not enthused about Dark Leo yet?

I know we're only two issues into Dark Leo, but I've not really that enthused about this direction. The idea of a Turtle being brainwashed to work for Shredder works perfectly for the cartoons, I would have loved to see this happen in either the original cartoon or Nick show, but in the comics that aren't aimed at kids it just seems a bit cliche.

I loved the brainwashing sequence of all the past artists so I think that's what sold a lot of us on Dark Leo at first.

But I'm not really enthused about seeing Leo "evil" for just the next few issues which will probably be reversed when Cityfall comes to a close. Thoughts?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Well of freaking course he's going to be back to his senses at the end of City Fall. You honestly expect them to just have Leo stay evil for several years in the book?
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

I've dug it thus far, certainly the design is cool as hell but
Spoiler:
in Karai's Micro, seeing that he's doing missions and psychologically brutalizing her, man... TOO COOL. Love it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Grimlock
Hench Mutant

Pretty lame and predictable. And since we know how it will end, it really isn't all that gripping. But if it makes for Leo developing as a character further down the line, what the hell. Whatevs.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I like it. In the cartoons it would been resolved in the same episode. Even Back to the Sewers had the turtles turned back to normal before they did all that much. Comics are better for this since it can actually last a few days and not just a half hour.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

So far it seems pretty uninspired. The crew behind the series seem to emphasize that they don't plant story seeds just for the hell of it, so I am hoping it develops into something more interesting.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I like it. In the cartoons it would been resolved in the same episode. Even Back to the Sewers had the turtles turned back to normal before they did all that much. Comics are better for this since it can actually last a few days and not just a half hour.
I think stories like this are better for the cartoons, because its fun to see an evil Turtle episode for a half hour....not stretched over a comic arc aimed at adults.

I'll give IDW the benefit of the doubt however as we're still early on, hopefully it gets more interesting.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, the concept is fun and the design is hella cool, but I can't get too overly psyched about it.

I mean, we know he's back to normal for the Northampton arc, so that kinda sucks some air out of it. Plus it's just going to make Shredder look incompetent when it blows up in his face.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think stories like this are better for the cartoons, because its fun to see an evil Turtle episode for a half hour....not stretched over a comic arc aimed at adults.

I'll give IDW the benefit of the doubt however as we're still early on, hopefully it gets more interesting.
But it's lame for half an hour. One doesn't do anything really evil, and everyone forgets it ever happened by the end of the episode and definitely by the next one.

here the characters have more time to dwell on it and it will have bigger ramifications whenever he does turn back to normal.

And what's with the aimed at adults garbage. The Turtles have been to space and fought an alien brain in a robot body. Logic and 'aimed at adults' left the building after that. Besides, seeing Leo break his father's heart like he did right now is something a kid's cartoon would probably not dwell on.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, the concept is fun and the design is hella cool, but I can't get too overly psyched about it.

I mean, we know he's back to normal for the Northampton arc, so that kinda sucks some air out of it. Plus it's just going to make Shredder look incompetent when it blows up in his face.
I know, right. Even if the Brainwashed thing hadn't been done before, confirming that he'll be back to normal in the next arc alleviates any tension.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
I know, right. Even if the Brainwashed thing hadn't been done before, confirming that he'll be back to normal in the next arc alleviates any tension.
Unfortunately... yeah.

Even though Leo returning to normal was a foregone conclusion, the real suspense was in how long the change would last. When IDW's solicitation/hype machine effectively killed that surprise, well, the Dark Leo arc is left with nothing to do now but go through the motions.

I'm still going to enjoy it, as I'm sure there's plenty left to dig with City Fall. But I do wish IDW would play things closer to the chest when it comes to their teasers and solicits.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Unfortunately... yeah.

Even though Leo returning to normal was a foregone conclusion, the real suspense was in how long the change would last. When IDW's solicitation/hype machine effectively killed that surprise, well, the Dark Leo arc is left with nothing to do now but go through the motions.

I'm still going to enjoy it, as I'm sure there's plenty left to dig with City Fall. But I do wish IDW would play things closer to the chest when it comes to their teasers and solicits.
I too will enjoy it and look forward to seeing Hun Return. But as I mentioned previously, we're not waiting to see IF he'll be a good guy again, we're just waiting to see WHEN.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Red Mask
Random Punk

It'll be cool to see how this period haunts him after he changes back. Like if he ends up killing someone who doesn't deserve it, living with it would be a crisis for good Leo later on.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Crabfight
Thug

I don't think we've been given a whole lot of time to sink our teeth into bad Leo yet. It's only been two issues, really.

That being said, I really did like how they used him in Karai's micro issue. Leo is clearly very devoted to his new persona on a conscious level. He had no issue making threats and using force and fear to get what he wanted. On the other hand, however, Karai also mentions that his resolve seems to be shaken on an unconscious level.

Clearly Leo is conflicted about his new role, but not in the usual surface level way. I think it's pretty cool!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I'm not so much excited about dark Leo as I am for the effect it has on the other Turtles. How they handle themselves without leadership. That should be fun.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm fairly certain the brainwashing will have a permanent effect (at least until someone down the line can reverse it with some mystic ish) that will really change Leo's character. Maybe he'll be sorta like Leatherhead, in that every once in a while something will snap within him and he'll become super violent or whatever. Sort of a split personality thing. Could be very interesting.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

i'm riding this train till the final stop and so far i'm enjoying the view!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm fairly certain the brainwashing will have a permanent effect (at least until someone down the line can reverse it with some mystic ish) that will really change Leo's character. Maybe he'll be sorta like Leatherhead, in that every once in a while something will snap within him and he'll become super violent or whatever. Sort of a split personality thing. Could be very interesting.
Aww that's Raph's thing!

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Aww that's Raph's thing!
Didn't stop them from doing it in the 2k3 Show.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

It def wiil take time for Leo to go back to normal after City Fall. he will prob go like he did in the 2k3 series. Leo looks so darn cool in that foot uniform.

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep