The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-05-2024, 09:55 PM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Deadpool Co-Creator Rob Liefeld Is Retiring From the Character After 33 Years

https://www.ign.com/articles/deadpoo...after-33-years

Rob Liefeld, the co-creator of Marvel Comics' Deadpool, announced he is retiring from the character on his official X/Twitter account.

"It’s official. Yup, after 33 years of not only introducing Deadpool but chronicling many of his most popular adventures it’s time for the Deadpool Daddy to say farewell," Liefeld wrote.

In his post, Liefeld cited his age as one reason why now felt the right time to retire from working on the famous character.

"In case you are wondering, why now? That’s easy, I’ll be 57 at the end of this and my eyes are still functioning, the work continues to be strong, I want to go out with the best effort I can muster. The hand-eye coordination won’t be there forever," Liefeld said.

Deadpool was first introduced in The New Mutants #98 by Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza back in 1991 when Liefeld was 24 years old. Since then, Deadpool has gone from a niche fourth-wall-breaking comic book character to one of Marvel's most popular anti-heroes, with his third rated-R film — starring Ryan Reynolds again as Deadpool and Hugh Jackman, returning as Wolverine — set to release in theaters on July 26.

Liefeld's retirement from Deadpool wasn't the only thing the longtime comic book artist announced. Turns out, Liefeld's been working on "one last crazy Deadpool" story that's slated to release this summer.

"In 2015 I started Deadpool: Bad Blood, getting Deadpool his first original graphic novel, and his only chart-topping, #1 ranking to date, an achievement that got me a round of congratulations from Marvel brass that pumped my chest out farther than Captain America’s! No other auteur has combined to write and illustrate more Deadpool work, I’ll complete this journey with over 1000 pages alongside my Mercenary Misfit. So, I’ll finish this one last Deadpool story, and trust me, it’s a wild one, and call it a collaboration for the ages. It’ll be fun!"

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:03 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Joe Kelly is Deadpool's true spiritual father.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:52 PM   #3
Snowglare
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Joe Kelly is Deadpool's true spiritual father.
100%

Liefeld has almost nothing to do with any version of Deadpool that anyone likes. Even if you prefer the original, the character was mostly Nicieza (who revisited DP later to much acclaim, unlike Liefeld) and the design was mostly cribbed from Deathstroke.
Snowglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:27 AM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglare View Post
100%

Liefeld has almost nothing to do with any version of Deadpool that anyone likes. Even if you prefer the original, the character was mostly Nicieza (who revisited DP later to much acclaim, unlike Liefeld) and the design was mostly cribbed from Deathstroke.
I'm confused how that works. So Liefeld made the original more serious Deadpool.... some other guy turned him into the wisecracking fourth wall breaker we know today, and then.... Liefeld would continue to make new stories using the 'new' version of the character?

Imagine if due to the popularity of the 80's show Mirage TMNT Volume 2 suddenly turned into the adventures of the Turtles trying to stop a revived Shredder that teamed up with an evil Utrom and created mutant henchmen and they want to unleash the Techndrome. And April got a job as a reporter.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote