The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #41
sdp
doomer

Despite Star Wars earning millions of dollars, Solo, TLJ and ROS were clearly failures financially and critically which is why they backed out of their annual Disney Star Wars movies. But clearly there is no "civil war" or whatever and disney decided to stick with Kathleen Kennedy, so that's how it is, at least for now, anything else is rampant speculation.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

They just turned their planned Boba Fett and Obi-wan movies into TV series instead. Boba Fett is now getting his own series, and we have a Obi-Wan series coming as well.

I remember a Yoda movie was being considered too but I wonder if that idea was changed to the baby Yoda in The Mandalorian.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Like look at all **** which has happened with DC cinematic universe: even though movies were profitable, they still lead to cancelation of other projects and staff shake ups.
Kind of. That's still an oversimplification of the never-ending clusterf*ck that is WB.

To wit: "Shazam!" got good reviews and was basically "DC's Marvel Movie", but it was by far their lowest-grossing movie in a decade (it probably lost money for the studio), and THAT movie is getting a sequel and a spin-off. Which it probably wouldn't be getting if not for The Rock being involved, but regardless, that's the state of things.

"Movie gets good word of mouth but completely sh*ts the bed on ticket sales; WB says 'F*ck it, let's back THAT horse! It's only money!' in spite of conventional wisdom." I liked the movie, but it goes to show that 1. Nothing is ever cut and dry, and 2. WB as an entity does Whatever The F*ck They Want without any rhyme or reason.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #44
sdp
doomer

Return of investment isn't calculated soley on profits, for s high risk high reward industry like hollywood they can't take chances
Old 03-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #45
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ahh, the old "Stuff makes money even if it's garbage" defense, right on time. If only the trains were so predictable. And if only trains were still relevant. But I digress.

Insert standard "Transformers movies all made money, all still sh*t anyway" counterpoint. Poisoning your own brand for a fast buck is not a good long-term business model. But hey, "$$$" so all criticisms are invalid. Awesome.
It's not a really a defense of those movies it's just a fact. As someone who has never fully warmed to them I'll continue to call out what I dislike about them but we are were we are in terms of their commercial success.

Quote:
It seems like most of the "new fans" they made with "The Last Jedi" jumped off again when "Rise of Skywalker" didn't keep going in the same direction.

Which goes to prove that as suspected, Those People never really even cared about Star Wars. What they cared about, was hijacking Star Wars and turning it into a delivery system for SJW fluff. Once that train derailed, those people abruptly decided that they didn't actually like Star Wars after all. Which anyone could have called from a mile away. Like all those people who never cared about Ghostbusters but jumped on with the Chickbusters movie for no reason other than, "This pisses Real Fans off, and I like that, so I'm all-in." That's who the new Star Wars movies made happy, but almost nobody else.

They did manage to win back a few people, but the jury's still out on how many or if they'll stick around after the next inevitable misfire. I still haven't bothered with "The Mandalorian" and don't really plan to, and I have no faith whatsoever in them actually making a movie that's any good anytime soon. Plenty of people are in the same boat. There'd need to be a full housecleaning among the higher-ups before I'd feel comfortable putting my faith - or money - in the Star Wars brand again.
I don't really like parsing out who is a 'real' fan and who isn't. Putting aside that some longtime fans did like The Last Jedi and some newer younger fans prefer the classics the idea of the movie attracting a new audience isn't at all a bad thing at all. They weren't jumping on a bandwagon they simply liked a movie and couldn't understand the hatred it was getting from some quarters.

If debate on the movie was centered around subjects like whether the old school cast should have all been reunited at least once or the importance of the Skywalker story and whether people should be naturally skilled at the force without training in a swamp somewhere that'd be fine. It's when the discussion quickly goes into; the evil SJWs are ruining Star Wars with their women and blacks and gays that we should tune it out.

Rise of Skywalker walked back some of the creative decisions and paid the price for it showing, it turned off a lot of the newer fans that were invested in natural progression of the movie they liked and it didn't really win any of the cynics back showing that a lot of the dislike really did boil down didn't like there more diversity in the franchise.

I should point out that the thing that did seem derail Disney's longterm plans for the franchise was Solo. The movie that was everything longtime fans had asked for and pretty much SJW free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If they weren't aware and reactive to the extremely negative reception of SW films and their handling in a post-Last Jedi world we would still be getting 1 Star Wars movie a year. Starting with Star Wars: Boba Fett (which was already in production), then Han Solo 2, and Obi-Wan. And Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy would have been fast-tracked for sure, not just this thing many years later Kennedy likes to threaten the fans with occasionally when she's feeling particularly malevolent.
Remember back when they first announced a whole wave of new Star Wars films fans were excited at a new sequel trilogy and wary of spin off movies focusing on random franchise minutiae. Rogue One ended up being an unexpected hit whereas it was the under-performance of Solo that screwed all that up. I should point out that movie gave everything the bellyachers wanted and it was the only one that tanked.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Remember back when they first announced a whole wave of new Star Wars films fans were excited at a new sequel trilogy and wary of spin off movies focusing on random franchise minutiae. Rogue One ended up being an unexpected hit whereas it was the under-performance of Solo that screwed all that up. I should point out that movie gave everything the bellyachers wanted and it was the only one that tanked.
It was never just that.

Solo failing alone = no big deal. They root canaled out the movie and would probably be happy with a so-so return as such.

Solo failing + Last Jedi's terrible reception + almost nonexistent toy sales + underperformance of "Galaxy's Edge" = Uh oh. Better press pause on the movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #47
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It was never just that.

Solo failing alone = no big deal. They root canaled out the movie and would probably be happy with a so-so return as such.

Solo failing + Last Jedi's terrible reception + almost nonexistent toy sales + underperformance of "Galaxy's Edge" = Uh oh. Better press pause on the movies.
Like I said the spin off movies were always shaky territory from the beginning. Everyone just fooled themselves for a while thinking they would subvert expectations because the first one was an unexpected hit.

Critics loved the The Last Jedi and it had plenty of fans - I wasn't one of them but it had an audience that loved it. It was The Rise of Skywalker that really screwed things up and large part of that was they tried to walk back some of the creative decisions the previous movie pushed.

If I were Disney looking at which of their recent products worked vs those that didn't to see what direction they should take in the future I don't think you'll be very happy with the natural conclusions they'd come up with.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I don't really like parsing out who is a 'real' fan and who isn't.
I do. Love it. Can't get enough of it. I'm an incredibly judgmental person so all that suits me just fine.

People who never gave a sh*t about Star Wars, and only showed up for the first time in 2017 because "Wummin Protagonist" and "deconstruction" and "salty fanboy tears" and "F*ck Luke Skywalker any damn way", shouldn't GET to have an opinion.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:24 AM   #49
Sumac
Foot Elite

I don't like idea of "real fans" and "not real fans" since it is stupid way to divide people and, obviously, everyone who uses such distinctions will assign their own meaning to them.

As for people who joined on SW hype, just because, of political agenda - there are not fans of SW. They are fans of political ideology, but nothing else. And their opinions has nothing to do with quality of the writing or story and should be discarded.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #50
sdp
doomer

Quote:
I don't like idea of "real fans" and "not real fans" since it is stupid way to divide people
As for people who joined on SW hype, just because, of political agenda - there are not fans of SW.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I don't like idea of "real fans" and "not real fans" since it is stupid way to divide people and, obviously, everyone who uses such distinctions will assign their own meaning to them.

As for people who joined on SW hype, just because, of political agenda - there are not fans of SW. They are fans of political ideology, but nothing else. And their opinions has nothing to do with quality of the writing or story and should be discarded.
back in the day it might have been a more shift arrgument, just based on the many variation of property..and wiht that I'd agree. but I Think true fan has shifted a bit these days.

So long as you agree with the core properties of the franchise, and have the ability to like at least more than one iteration (I.e. a controversial one) I think you can be considered a true fan.

anyone who joins because of political reasons just isn't

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #52
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
meme.jpg
What's wrong?

If people claim they are fans of story, but not because they like characters or story itself, but merely, because, of "political message" in it, I wouldn't call them "fans" of said story.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe getting replaced:

https://sffgazette.com/sci-fi/star_w...PnEg#gs.j0dwl8
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #54
Cowabung-Gal
Hench Mutant

It’sAGundam believes that Kathleen will one day have fellow YouTuber Doomcock murdered for all the dirt he’s been revealing to the public. I kinda believe it too.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 11-23-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #55
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
It’sAGundam believes that Kathleen will one day have fellow YouTuber Doomcock murdered for all the dirt he’s been revealing to the public. I kinda believe it too.
Nah she's a Clinton-wannabe.

If she leaves Disney she'll start streaming like Brie Larson on an internet apology tour trying to cultivate a following who will reinforce her for categorically destroying all of our favorite franchises as an outcome of whatever happened to her as a child to make her how she is today.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #56
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Iger vs Kennedy should warrant its own movie one day.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote