The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

I Need Help with my Project

Hey. I've been planning a very ambitious TMNT art project for a couple years now. I want to do a sort of "Through the Years" (I'm not sure what this type of art is called) type of project, a huge and ambitious one.
This would be a small example: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e2dcce1f0b.jpg
I've been doing some research and just adding to my ideas for it for over a couple years now. I want to have as close to all of the versions of TMNT that there are in this project and I want it to be long and impressive. Feel free to ask questions and suggest things to add.
What I'm really needing the most help for is narrowing down or adding to the list of TMNT versions that will be in it. The criteria the TMNT version has to meet is that it must:
  • Be visually different from other versions
  • Tell a separate story from other versions, to even a small extent
  • Be official or be a fan-work with enough of a significant effect on the franchise
  • (for fan-works, it must have a following, treat itself professionally and try to tell a coherent story rather than just do shipping, etc., and it must have a page on Turtlepedia proving its acknowledged as a popular/significant fan work (this criteria may change)
So as you can see, I'm letting fan-works be on this. I'm not including fan-fiction because it's generally forgotten quickly and is not a visual medium. Fan comics like Secrets of the Ooze and Gaiden are accepted, but most fan-works won't be taken. Feel free to suggest them, though.
The next post down will have a long list of every version of TMNT I've collected so far. Feel free to chisel away at it, add to it, fix some facts, ask questions, or give me some suggestions. Help is greatly needed on obscure versions. I will be labeling each version on the finished work with its title and year. I might eventually post practice drawings and other project-related art on this thread as I get ready to draw this.
I'm including comics, video games, cartoons, movies, specials, a few fan-works, and some miscellaneous ones. If they end up in the final product, I'll let those who own the fan-works know that I want to use their version in an art piece.
Also, this is a serious question I have. Since coming up with this concept, I've wanted every turtle displayed from every iteration to be Leonardo, since he is the leader and probably the most important turtle. Using one turtle would better illustrate how much TMNT changes each iteration, yet not using the other three turtles completely ignores the whole aspect of brotherhood and togetherness that is integral to the franchise. Let me hear your thoughts on this issue.
Did I explain this well or are you just very confused?

For TMNT art and more, check out OrangeNinja1987 on Deviantart! http://orangeninja1987.deviantart.com/
To help with a current TMNT project: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53441
Proud fan of the TMNT 2014 movie

Last edited by OrangeNinja1987; 10-04-2015 at 03:29 PM.
OrangeNinja1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

The versions I have so far (ones I'm unsure about adding are in red)
1984: TMNT original Mirage comics
1985: TMNT and Other Strangeness RPG
1987: "Tales of the TMNT" 2nd Mirage comic line, introducing Leatherhead, Rat King, etc.
1987: Mirage begins 1st volume of Turtle Soup, which I think is a funny sideline comic (confused)
1987: TMNT original cartoon
1988: Archie comics
1989: First video game on NES
1990: First arcade game
1990: Mirage's "Soul's Winter" else-worlds trilogy by Michael Zulli
1990: TMNT Coming Out of Our Shells Tour
1990: First movie
1990: (summer) Magazine begins
1990: Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy videogame
1990: Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles Fleetway UK comics (began original stories at issue #15)
1990: Daily newspaper comic strip (ran for about 10 years)
1990: "Operation: Blue Line" 11-minute video teaching children about alternative transport (I'm not making this up)
1991: Manhattan Project videogame
1991: Manhattan Missions PC game
1991: Turtles in Time Video Game
1991: Mirage comic line "Plastron Café" begins (only two issues in Vol. 1 were turtles stories)
1992: "The Last of the Viking Heroes" comic This one is very obscure and I can find very little information on it. I ran across it at random and kind of want to include it because the turtles' designs are neat. More pictures are needed.
1993: Third movie (I didn't include the second because the turtles' designs were the same as the first) Should I include the samurai outfits?
1993: Archie "Future Tense" arc Is this considered a separate version?
1993: TMNT Tournament Fighters NES game (also on SNES)
1993: Plastron Cafe
1993: TMNT make appearance in Usagi Yojimbo in 3-parter "Shades of Green"
1993-ish: (cameo) TMNT makes an appearance in Anamaniacs with a speaking role by Rob Paulson
1994: "Turtle Tunes" 30-minute live action special
1994: "TMNT: The Next Mutation" Fourth movie goes into pre-production (never happened)
1994: First episode of 2-part Japanese anime -- Superman Legend OVA
1994: TMNT original cartoon Red Sky episodes begin/monster turtle designs
1994: "We Wish You A Turtle Christmas" 30-minute live-action special These turtles look very similar to those in Turtle Tunes.
1995: Jim Lee designs/Savage Dragon crossover. A comics mini-series w/ 3 produced turtle toys (Leo never came out)
1995: Super Turtles: Gaiden manga in Japan (is this the same as the "Super Turtles" manga also in 1995?)
1995: TMNT: The Early Years 3-part comic; one of the last in Archie
1995: Second part of Japanese anime-- Mutant Turtles: Chojin Densetsu Hen
1996: Image comics run
1997: Next Mutation
2001: 5-minute CGI pilot for new show (nothing ever came of it but it still meets the criteria)
2002: Mirage Super Turtles comic. More details on this would be appreciated
2003: 4kids cartoon
2003: First video game for 2k3 cartoon
2003: Dreamwave comics adaption of 2k3 series
2004: Mutant Ninja Turtles Gaiden online fan-comic
2004: Tales of the TMNT comic line, re-launched from 1987
2004: Tales of Leonardo: Blind Faith comic, followed in 2006 by "Blind Sight"
2005: "Same as it Never Was" episode of 2k3 series I am very unsure over including this one
2005: Turtle Turncoat fan-comic begins
2006: TMNT: Fast Forward
2006: The Power of Four video game
2007: Fast Forward dark turtles
2007: comic prequels for 2007 movie
2007: TMNT: The Lost Episodes of 2k3
2007: Fourth theatrical movie
2007-08 (ish): TMNT Overload proposed as 4Kids season to follow Fast Forward
2009: "Back to the Sewer" Season 7 of 2k3
2009: Smash-Up video game for Wii
2009: 24-page comic w/ Smash-Up titled "TMNT: Smash-Up"
2009: Turtles in Time: Re-shelled video game
2011: (February) "Fight the Foot" 3-minute fan-made trailer
2011: TMNT concepts by Dark Horse comics (TMNT license went to IDW instead)
2011: Casey Jones fan-film by Polaris Banks (only Mikey is fully shown)
2011: IDW comic run
2012: TMNT: Dark Horizons (Free to play Nick game, first for 2012 show)
2012: New Animated Adventures comic (show tie-in)
2012: Nick TMNT show
2013: (May) Nick Magazine
2012: IDW Infestation 2-part series
2013: IDW City Fall with Dark Leo
2013: Out of the Shadows video game
2013: Rooftop Run and Mutant Rumble app games
2013: TMNT Wii video game for 2k12 show
2014: Lego movie Michelangelo
2014: Nick TMNT Vision Quests episode I'm unsure about this, I just like the costumes
2014: TMNT: Secrets of the Ooze fan-comic (done by official IDW artist Campbell, though)
2014 (ish)--TMNT corocoro ichiban manga in Japan (I really need the date it came out to be clarified
2014: Platinum Dunes movie; fifth theatrical TMNT movie
2014: PD movie app game
2014: Code Name: Revenge planned comic and videogame (I think this has been abandoned or gone silent; Google it)
2014: IDW TMNT/Ghostbusters cross-over
2015: "Ultimate Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" fan comic. I love the art but it has a very small release. There's an thread on it somewhere on the Technodrome
2015: TMNT:Odyssey 110 page graphic novel, fan-made
2015: IDW TMNT: Amazing Adventures; replacing New Animated Adventures
2015: TMNT Half-Shell Heroes "Blast to the Past" TV special
2015: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 game adds TMNT DLC
2015: IDW Batman/TMNT crossover
2016: (Jan) TMNT: Portal Power app-game
2016: (March) IDW TMNT Deviations; a "What If?" story
2016: (may) TMNT Mutants in Manhattan game
2016: (June) TMNT 2: Out of the Shadows movie, with modified designs
2016: (June) IDW Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything Mini-series
Feel free to make suggestions for this list and tell me of future TMNT versions I can squeeze in before starting this art project (might not be for a while). I am happy to add more things and glad to delete unnecessary ones.

For TMNT art and more, check out OrangeNinja1987 on Deviantart! http://orangeninja1987.deviantart.com/
To help with a current TMNT project: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53441

Last edited by OrangeNinja1987; 03-21-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

Sorry to post yet again, but is anyone even looking at this thread yet? Patience is not my strongest virtue. I'm very eager for help and I'm totally dedicated and serious about this very ambitious project.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Mew
Banned

You need the Ultimate Visual History book, released in 2014.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

I have it, but I'm looking for even more versions than those that are in it. I want obscure versions, ones that have come out since that book was published, and even some fan-works.
This forum has many people with more TMNT knowledge than I have, and I hope they can contribute and help me improve my project.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

You missing Turtle Tunes, Operation Blue Line, and the Christmas music video.

In all seriousness, good project. I am unsure how you plan to, but why not combine each particular area together, like the movies in one section, the music in one, etc.?
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
You missing Turtle Tunes, Operation Blue Line, and the Christmas music video.

In all seriousness, good project. I am unsure how you plan to, but why not combine each particular area together, like the movies in one section, the music in one, etc.?
Thanks so much! I'd never heard of the Blue Line video. That'll be an interesting turtle in the finished project. I'll add these 3 things to the list.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

If Dark Leo IDW gets his own representation, you might should consider IDW TMNT "Vengeance" with Donny as Metalhead.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If Dark Leo IDW gets his own representation, you might should consider IDW TMNT "Vengeance" with Donny as Metalhead.
I'm not sure. I was questioning whether I should include City Fall Leo, because while I absolutely love the design, there's already a normal IDW turtle in the picture.
Also, when I came up with this concept I wanted to draw every turtle as Leonardo because it would show the extent of change between each version better, but now I'm considering using all of the turtles. If I just used Leo, then I wouldn't be able to put Donnie in it.
Anyway, does anyone know what I should do about this?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Etsyturtle2
Banned

The never released tmnt four with Kirby. There is turtlepedia page and concept art for a visual.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I couldn't see the Jim Lee designs on the list.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
The never released tmnt four with Kirby. There is turtlepedia page and concept art for a visual.
Peter lairds blog has lots of goodies on it
Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

If you want another suggestion, I would recommend the Casey Jones fan film. Not entirely canon material, but I think it's worth an addition once you watch it. Robbie Rist is in the movie too as Michelangelo.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #14
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
If you want another suggestion, I would recommend the Casey Jones fan film. Not entirely canon material, but I think it's worth an addition once you watch it. Robbie Rist is in the movie too as Michelangelo.
Oh yeah! That was great!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I'll have to watch it. I've seen it on my YouTube recommendations but never seriously considered watching it. It'll probably be on the project list within a few days, after I see it.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #16
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

What year did the fan-made Casey Jones movie come out? It didn't originally come out on YouTube and the film's website didn't mention a date.
I'm also adding the small 2014 "Fight the Foot" Fan-made trailer. Raphael is the only one in it, though.
So I guess since both of these projects only use one turtle, I might be leaning towards alternating between the 4 turtles in the final project, rather than using Leonardo for all of them. What do you think?
Update: Should I add the Turtles' space suits from the Nick show? If I do, should I take out the Vision Quest ones? I don't want this whole project to be overrun by Nick show related versions, though it is cool.

Last edited by OrangeNinja1987; 10-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeNinja1987 View Post
What year did the fan-made Casey Jones movie come out? It didn't originally come out on YouTube and the film's website didn't mention a date.
I'm also adding the small 2014 "Fight the Foot" Fan-made trailer. Raphael is the only one in it, though.
So I guess since both of these projects only use one turtle, I might be leaning towards alternating between the 4 turtles in the final project, rather than using Leonardo for all of them. What do you think?
Update: Should I add the Turtles' space suits from the Nick show? If I do, should I take out the Vision Quest ones? I don't want this whole project to be overrun by Nick show related versions, though it is cool.
I would use alluvit
Old 10-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I couldn't see the Jim Lee designs on the list.
Jim Lee designs are now on the list. Thanks for introducing me to a TMNT version I've never heard of.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

I might post some practice drawings in a few days. Feel free to keep discussing stuff on this thread. I want this to be as good as it can be before I start. It's a passion project.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeNinja1987 View Post
I might post some practice drawings in a few days. Feel free to keep discussing stuff on this thread. I want this to be as good as it can be before I start. It's a passion project.
Well, by limiting yourself to Leonardo, you keep the scale smaller and more manageable. So that sounds like a good idea, unless you wanna go all-out no-holds-barred balls-to-the-walls.

QUESTION:

Mirage and IDW have multiple artists, with drastically different styles... are you doing only one from each?

For Mirage, you have Kevin Eastman / Peter Laird working together (the earliest issues), Jim Lawson, and probably more.

For IDW, you have Dan Duncan, Ben Bates, Sophie Campbell, Cory Smith, Mateus S, etc...