The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #1121
pennydreadful
trash

I'm currently reading a book about Ivan Milat (Australian serial killer)... and I keep putting the book face-down on the shelf when I'm done with it cuz I don't want his creepy mug staring at me while I'm sleeping!!!

After that, I'm going to read the new Dresden novel which I picked up yesterday.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #1122
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I've been reading The Casual Vacancy, but I'm not liking it too tough to be honest.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #1123
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I just finished reading Four: A Divergent Story Collection a prequel novel to the Divergent series told in Four's perspective. I thought the book was good, but I was confused when
Spoiler:

He met his mom Evelyn and realized she wasn't dead. This confused me because in Allegiant it was shown she wasn't dead and Four seemed shocked to see her that time, so I don't really understand why Roth did this in the prequel. I think it would have been better if he'd seen glimpses of a woman who looked like his mom but didn't meet her properly until Allegiant.

But despite that little nitpick, I did like the book, and I hope Roth expands more on the Divergent universe in little bits like this.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #1124
discordiatookie
facehugger

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It's awesome!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #1125
pennydreadful
trash

None Shall Sleep, by Otep Shamaya... a bunch of queer romance fluff... I still haven't started on the new Dresden yet (waiting til the other half is on holidays so we can both start reading it at the same time).

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #1126
Mzx10484
WEM Super Starfinder 200

Der Klimawandel - Täter, Opfer, Profiteure einer globalen Revolution

Climate change - perpetrators, victims, beneficiaries of a global revolution
Mzx10484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #1127
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by discordiatookie View Post
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It's awesome!
It is so good, isn't it!?! I've been reading "The Drawing of Three" by Stephen King.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #1128
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Currently reading Beowulf.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #1129
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
It is so good, isn't it!?! I've been reading "The Drawing of Three" by Stephen King.
Really enjoyed it! Having grown up with the film, it was cool to read what it was based on. The same... but different!

The Drawing of the Three is awesome, love The Dark Tower series!

Picked up a double book - Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris from a book sale. Amazing for 30p! Could hardly put them down and powered through them both, finishing it just today. I remember watching Silence of the Lambs when I was a kid, so kinda knew what happened, but Red Dragon was completely new to me. I remember my mum saying the film Manhunter is a lot better than the film Red Dragon, looking forward to checking it out. Also, my wife picked up the book when I was just starting Silence, and got addicted to it, so it's been a pain in the arse when I've went to read and she's sitting there reading it least I've got someone to discuss it with!

Just started reading Seconds, the new graphic novel by Bryan Lee O'Malley - about 100 pages in and loving it so far!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1130
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I've started in on "The Waste Lands" by Stephen King now... Seems like the books just keep getting better as they go! I'm really digging this one so far.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #1131
Slade
god status

Finishin up Batman Zero Year.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #1132
Prowler
Emperor

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

It's interesting so far. Always been interested in Japanese culture and history. This book seems to explain pretty well what being a geisha is all about so far.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #1133
Hannurdock
Foot Soldier

Just finishing The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice. Gonna start the second LOTR next.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #1134
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

It's interesting so far. Always been interested in Japanese culture and history. This book seems to explain pretty well what being a geisha is all about so far.
One of my favourite books, It's one I've re-read many times. I think it comes across as an honest portrayal, Sayuri's life is fascinating.

I'm currently reading 'The Magician's Land' by Lev Grossman. Adored the first two books in the series and was excited beyond words to read the last. I'm two thirds through and I can't wait to see how it ends. For anyone into fantasy-type books these are just epic.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #1135
pennydreadful
trash

Someone on the forums has motivated me to re-read Watership Down.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #1136
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
One of my favourite books, It's one I've re-read many times. I think it comes across as an honest portrayal, Sayuri's life is fascinating.
Well I've finished it earlier today and while I did find it to be a good story, it didn't feel like a very accurate description of a Geisha's lifestyle to me. In fact, the woman who the author based this book on said he made up a lot of things and misinterpreted what being a Geisha was truly like.

Many people outside of Japan seem to believe that a Geisha is just a high class prostitute and this book doesn't help shake that image away at all. Anyway, I didn't expect it to be a very accurate portrayal of the Geisha profession/career considering the author wasn't even Japanese. I just view it as a novel of the historical fiction genre.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #1137
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I've been wanting to re-read Ramses: The Son of Light (and the following 4 volumes). I read them all close to 10 years ago and was recently reminded of them. They are just an amazing example of just how good historical fiction can be! I swear they need to be made into a movie. Very good stuff.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #1138
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Well I've finished it earlier today and while I did find it to be a good story, it didn't feel like a very accurate description of a Geisha's lifestyle to me. In fact, the woman who the author based this book on said he made up a lot of things and misinterpreted what being a Geisha was truly like.

Many people outside of Japan seem to believe that a Geisha is just a high class prostitute and this book doesn't help shake that image away at all. Anyway, I didn't expect it to be a very accurate portrayal of the Geisha profession/career considering the author wasn't even Japanese. I just view it as a novel of the historical fiction genre.
Agreed, there certainly was a lot of controversy and any historical fiction is always going to be one toe dipped in fact the other one in imagination. I genuinely didn't get the high-class prostitute vibe from it, only a healthy respect for the amount of dedication it took to perform and present themselves as Geisha.

Dawnatello those books sound intriguing! I love historical fiction, I recently read a good one about Nefertiti from the view of her sister (can't recall the title and I've left it downstairs, sorry, will retrieve if anyone is interested) it's now slightly historically inaccurate as subsequent research has altered names and the timeline of events but it was still an enlightening read. Made me want to do some research of my own.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #1139
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossombrooks View Post
Agreed, there certainly was a lot of controversy and any historical fiction is always going to be one toe dipped in fact the other one in imagination. I genuinely didn't get the high-class prostitute vibe from it, only a healthy respect for the amount of dedication it took to perform and present themselves as Geisha.

Dawnatello those books sound intriguing! I love historical fiction, I recently read a good one about Nefertiti from the view of her sister (can't recall the title and I've left it downstairs, sorry, will retrieve if anyone is interested) it's now slightly historically inaccurate as subsequent research has altered names and the timeline of events but it was still an enlightening read. Made me want to do some research of my own.
It was the 2nd novel of the historical fiction genre that I have read. My first one was Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. It was fun and lighthearted but it was hard to take seriously with the Roman legionnaires talking like middle aged British men.

I heard Bernard Cornwell is good stuff. Been meaning to try him out for a while now.

Anyway, today I read An Ideal Husband, by Oscar Wilde. It was a short yet interesting read. And like every Wilde book, it has some memorable quotes.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #1140
renaissance reptile
Mouser

Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan; it's his follow-up to his awesome debut Blood Song, however, the sequel for me wasn't as good as the first but is still worth a read.
renaissance reptile is offline   Reply With Quote