The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Wentos
Foot Soldier

Jennika Discussion Thread

Jennika was introduced a little over four years ago, in issue #51. She was turned into the fifth turtle a little over five months ago, in issue #95. With Jennika creator Tom Waltz taking a break from the book and his development of her character being finished (at least for now), I thought this might be a good time to have a general discussion about her.

Do you think she deserves her place as the fifth turtle? Was she introduced at the right time? Has she carved out a place for herself in the family? Most importantly, do you like her? And how do you feel about the idea of a fifth turtle in general?

(These questions are just food for thought to get discussion going, feel free to opine about anything Jennika related.)

- Release the Nick show on blu-ray
- Release the 4kids series in a complete series or season sets

Only then will we be satisfied.
Wentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm indifferent about her being mutated for now because it's too early to see where it goes. We'll have a better view of her once her mini-series comes out earlier this year. I do like the yellow bandana and her weapons.

Of course you wonder if we needed a female Turtle in general, and well, I'm indifferent. She likely won't be a permanent addition to the cast living with the Turtles (she'll likely go off on her own adventures or whatnot, and not live in with the Turtles as a permanant family member, especially with Splinter dead and gone), so who knows.

At least IDW waited until 96 issues into their series to have a female Turtle, they could have done it much earlier if they wanted.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Allio
Foot Elite

I mean the thing is right now, despite how the covers portray her, Jennika is basically still a part of the B-team.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Igglet

My problem with her right now is that she absolutely mutated at the wrong time - her turning into the 5th TMNT was the climax of the first half of the story, and yet she had almost no relevance to the plot in the second half. I think this led to the writers giving her a half-baked character arc in the second half, so she doesn't just... fade into the background, I suppose, but it really didn't work for me at all.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I mean the thing is right now, despite how the covers portray her, Jennika is basically still a part of the B-team.
Yeah, I don't feel like she's going to be a permanent "5th Turtle," she feels more like Alopex and Angel where she'll have a lot of team-ups with the Turtles but still mostly be off on her own.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
This. I think it would have been better to have five Turtles from the beginning. Maybe next time. And maybe NOT a former human.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, I don't feel like she's going to be a permanent "5th Turtle," she feels more like Alopex and Angel where she'll have a lot of team-ups with the Turtles but still mostly be off on her own.
That would be super disappointing, considering the way they've been setting her up.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

The thing connecting Jennika to the Turtles before was Splinter trusting her as his second in command. Now that Splinter is dead and gone, Jennika's connection to the Turtles (despite being a Turtle herself now) is lessened. She really only had interactions with Leonardo otherwise, and that was just Leo greeting her when he went to visit Splinter.

The new issues seem like they'll have a friendship with Jennika and Mona Lisa, so again, I see her the same way I do Alopex and Angel. She'll be in a lot of issues and with the Turtles, but I don't see her as a permanent 5th Turtle.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
ChosenOne
Banned

Slash was much more of a fifth Turtle than she is. But I'm still perfectly okay with the concept and waiting to see how it develops.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

I agree with general consensus that it's too early to tell how the character as a mutant turtle will turn out. That said, Jennika's origin is preferable to the "long lost sister" approach used with Venus.
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

IMO there's not much to be said about her that wasn't already said in the Jennika Miniseries announcement thread. I think most people agree that her introduction (as a turtle) came at a bad time where we didn't really get a chance to know her place in the story. We'll have to wait until the next few issues and the miniseries to really know how she's gonna turn out.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

The initial problem was that she just wasn't very interesting, she's a sturn bodyguard when on duty and relaxed when hanging out with Casey but there ultimately isn't much there in terms of personality. There's some potential in there as she's essentially a victim of indoctrination, they just didn't develop her much when she was human and the result is a rather bland character.

The second problem is that they turned her into Turtle that design/role-wise is very close to the main four. Which didn't solve the first problem, now it just means a character I don't care about has taken a role that arguably shouldn't exist. It almost seems like it was done so nobody can say Leo is the Turtle with the least personality anymore, obviously that's not the intent and maybe it'll surprise me down the line but I just don't think Jennika is a good character as is.

The funny thing is that if she had a more clearly defined personality and turned into something that didn't look like a five year old's OC (like a more distinct species like a Mata Mata or maybe not a turtle at all), then the problems I have with her would be solved. As is, she's a weak character who's designed rather uncreatively.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The initial problem was that she just wasn't very interesting, she's a sturn bodyguard when on duty and relaxed when hanging out with Casey but there ultimately isn't much there in terms of personality. There's some potential in there as she's essentially a victim of indoctrination, they just didn't develop her much when she was human and the result is a rather bland character.

The second problem is that they turned her into Turtle that design/role-wise is very close to the main four. Which didn't solve the first problem, now it just means a character I don't care about has taken a role that arguably shouldn't exist. It almost seems like it was done so nobody can say Leo is the Turtle with the least personality anymore, obviously that's not the intent and maybe it'll surprise me down the line but I just don't think Jennika is a good character as is.

The funny thing is that if she had a more clearly defined personality and turned into something that didn't look like a five year old's OC (like a more distinct species like a Mata Mata or maybe not a turtle at all), then the problems I have with her would be solved. As is, she's a weak character who's designed rather uncreatively.
To be fair, other than giving them more exaggerated physical traits like the recent cartoons have done, that aren't many ways one can innovate on the design of a Ninja Turtle outside of weapon choice or bandanna color. Characterization, however, is a whole 'nother ballpark. I'll readily agree Jennika isn't too damn interesting as a character as of yet. What would've been interesting to see was what would've happened if April, Angel or even Karai had been mutated into a fifth Turtle instead. (Angel would be the better choice out of these, I think.)
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #14
Wentos
Foot Soldier

I agree with most of you that Jennika's mutation came at an inopportune time and wasn't given the attention it needed, especially if she's being positioned as a new main character. Like others have said, her relationship to the other turtles is tenuous and her personality is underdeveloped. I find the execution strange, since the idea of a fifth female turtle has such a notoriously contentious history. If I were to introduce a fifth female turtle, I would do everything possible to introduce the character with care and make her place feel earned in order to win the fandom over.

Do you think it's fair to pass the burden of fleshing out her character to other writers after the fact? When IDW started releasing microseries and miniseries to supplement the main title, I was under the impression that it was done to nurture subplots that would pay off in the main series later, not to fix major plot developments that were half-baked in the main book. I suppose with Sophie Campbell taking over writing duties on the main title the buck stops with her, but the fact remains that the heavy lifting for Jennika is ultimately being passed to other writers. How do you guys feel about this?

- Release the Nick show on blu-ray
- Release the 4kids series in a complete series or season sets

Only then will we be satisfied.

Last edited by Wentos; 01-01-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Wentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #15
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Most of the problems surrounding the character seem to stem from the fact that the comic is acting like she's one of the main characters while in reality there is nothing about her that makes her any more important than Casey, April, Angel, or any other member of the supporting cast. Adding to this is the fact that, as previously stated, she's probably the least interesting member of said supporting cast.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:51 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentos View Post
I agree with most of you that Jennika's mutation came at an inopportune time and wasn't given the attention it needed, especially if she's being positioned as a new main character. Like others have said, her relationship to the other turtles is tenuous and her personality is underdeveloped. I find the execution strange, since the idea of a fifth female turtle has such a notoriously contentious history. If I were to introduce a fifth female turtle, I would do everything possible to introduce the character with care and make her place feel earned in order to win the fandom over.

Do you think it's fair to pass the burden of fleshing out her character to other writers after the fact? When IDW started releasing microseries and miniseries to supplement the main title, I was under the impression that it was done to nurture subplots that would pay off in the main series later, not to fix major plot developments that were half-baked in the main book. I suppose with Sophie Campbell taking over writing duties on the main title the buck stops with her, but the fact remains that the heavy lifting for Jennika is ultimately being passed to other writers. How do you guys feel about this?
They literally had 40+ issues to develop her better.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #17
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
They literally had 40+ issues to develop her better.
Yeah, so far, I remain unimpressed - I do think that she was supposed to be given focus BEFORE being turned into a TMNT. However, I'm still optimistic. She CAN be fleshed out, she can become a great character. Should that have been done before? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean it's too late.

There's a question that's been bothering me from the start, though. How does she fit into the dynamic? Leo's the serious leader, Raph's the hothead, Mikey's the innocent jokester and Donnie's the brain. As basic as it is, this dynamic is kind of genius - it's worked for so long, after all. How does Jennika fit into it? What new can she bring to the table? I feel like she might just end up being a second Leo or Raph, or a mix of both, and that doesn't really work. I'm still hoping for the best, but I am quite worried.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think she'll get a lot of attention at first like Alopex, and then as time goes on, like Alopex, she'll be put on the sidelines a bit as they focus on other characters but she'll always be around. I mean we might have Mona Lisa stick around as a major character too, and we know IDW generally juggles screentime with all the secondary cast and has trouble doing so at times due to how large the cast is.

So we'll see.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Real talk can anyone remind me of any conversation she had with the turtles and I don't mean feeding information or exposition but casual dialogue because I'm getting nothing.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Real talk can anyone remind me of any conversation she had with the turtles and I don't mean feeding information or exposition but casual dialogue because I'm getting nothing.
She said hi to Leonardo a few times.