The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Making the science fiction elements harder?

While TMNT has many science fiction elements, a lot of them are soft. Would you like to see more hard science fiction at the most basic levels (like gravity, orbits, no sound in space, distances between "asteroids" or whatever).

To me, that would have been cool.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 03-01-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Well it kinda depends if the writer has knowledge about said subjects if not then no.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most actual sci-fi franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek don't even do these concepts, let alone TMNT
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most actual sci-fi franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek don't even do these concepts, let alone TMNT
Star Trek claims to have hard science fiction concepts, but I don't think they're always correct.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

TMNT science tends to go for "whatever the plot needs" logic as a whole . Which usually does lead to some trouble, like the logic of interdimensional teleportation in IDW.

I stand firmly by the Utroms being in prehistoric Earth and still being alive in the present day to be really dumb. What in the world is going on with the quantum physics there...
Old 02-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I stand firmly by the Utroms being in prehistoric Earth and still being alive in the present day to be really dumb. What in the world is going on with the quantum physics there...
At least they should've evolved bodies.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

There would have to be a selection pressure for that to happen though.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, from the way things were presented with individuals aging only a little bit between capturing the Triceratops and having to flee to Earth, that would never have been a thing. And if you're thinking that the individual Utroms would have "evolved" bodies, that's not even remotely how it works.

I have...many, many qualms with the Utroms and the timeline, except for when they're in Japan. I can believe them living something like 500 years or more, but never millions upon millions.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant

if anyone knows the anime Space Brothers. That would be a cool way to see the TMNT.

For those that don't - its about two brothers that become astronauts but follow kind of different paths and struggles. If anything, I'd like to see the type of realism and struggles that humans face for the TMNT - maybe in some sort of slice of life/drama.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
if anyone knows the anime Space Brothers. That would be a cool way to see the TMNT.

For those that don't - its about two brothers that become astronauts but follow kind of different paths and struggles. If anything, I'd like to see the type of realism and struggles that humans face for the TMNT - maybe in some sort of slice of life/drama.
The difference between soft and hard science fiction isn't about dealing with real-life social-drama issues. It's about how realistic the story describes the laws of physics.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The difference between soft and hard science fiction isn't about dealing with real-life social-drama issues. It's about how realistic the story describes the laws of physics.
Can I want both? Not necessarily in the same series.

Would love me some good slice of life stuff. And the rather logical side of me that wants to try to make sense of some of the details of TMNT sometimes wouldn't mind if the physics were made more realistic to add to their challenges and how they overcome them, and learn from it in the process.

Such as the aforementioned no sound in space, making it more risky and perhaps making a code of hand signals among the team important if radio communication is lost.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Star Trek claims to have hard science fiction concepts, but I don't think they're always correct.
Can't speak for that recent travesty of a series but the late 80/90s Star Trek would have a science advisor although they would be told to bend the actual science to allow certain plots to happen. Science advisor André Bormanis remembers the nightmare of having to explain how DS9's One Little Ship could happen since in terms of hard science it was impossible.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Overlord

Let's say Shredder and Krang succeeded in "Take Me to Your Leader". Wouldn't that knock Earth out of orbit?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Let's say Shredder and Krang succeeded in "Take Me to Your Leader". Wouldn't that knock Earth out of orbit?
The Earth would certainly have become a frozen, almost dead planet before that happened.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #15
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The Earth would certainly have become a frozen, almost dead planet before that happened.
Of course, but I guess the dead Earth couldn't orbit a constantly gone Sun. I know the Sun will shrink in the distant future, but Shredder and Krang would probably shrink it beyond white dwaf size.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Of course, but I guess the dead Earth couldn't orbit a constantly gone Sun. I know the Sun will shrink in the distant future, but Shredder and Krang would probably shrink it beyond white dwaf size.
Yeah probably that would happen.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, from the way things were presented with individuals aging only a little bit between capturing the Triceratops and having to flee to Earth, that would never have been a thing. And if you're thinking that the individual Utroms would have "evolved" bodies, that's not even remotely how it works.

I have...many, many qualms with the Utroms and the timeline, except for when they're in Japan. I can believe them living something like 500 years or more, but never millions upon millions.
Same with the Nickelodeon Kraang (but we don't know if their claim of finding Earth and mutating humans was even true).