The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #181
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
That's interesting.. I'd love to learn how to use nunchaku the way I see some of these guys using them. It's crazy, but I'd probably give myself a black eye or two.
Yeah, I imagine that if I ever picked up a pair, I'd do a pretty good re-enactment of April's nunchaku fail in SoTO.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #182
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I fashioned myself a pair of nunchaku, as they are illegal to sell where I live (can buy foam rubber ones, but ther are no MA store in the city) and watching some how-to-do videos I tried to do the various moves you could do with them. I would often hit myself in the back head, groin and one time right on the nose.

I also prefer Leo's swords being correctly portrayed. One of the "Ninjato" myths are that the straight blades was cheaper, thus easier to dispose if the ninja as it necessary. But the truth is, the way Nihinto (Japanese swords) where forged, the curvature is a natural process, and is why Nihonto is curved past the 10th century. It would be more expensive to forcefully straighten the blade.

I do wish Leo would have a longsword and a short sword like he do have in the Nick cartoon. As that is the proper way to dual wield Japanese swords. But, equal length swords do often look better on an artistic standpoint.

I am curious if we'll see the turtles use more then just their signature weapons due to Mikey's sansetsukon. Maybe Raph can use a pair of jutte, which is like a Sai, only have one tong rather then two (Nick basic figure had a pair of those) and it would be cool to see Donnie use a Naginata or a yari. And I really wanna se some Shuriken use, something I feel the first trilogy lacked, they did some in the Imagi movie, but I'd love to see some actual Shuriken usage, especially Bo Shuriken as I've grown a bit tired of constantly seeing the hira Shuriken (star shape) or at least have different variations on the hira Shuriken.

And smoke bombs, although they use them in the Nick cartoon, their property is very fantastical in the show, acting more like a teleporter then a smoke screen. the Imagi movie had some great smoke bomb moments as it was treated more realistic despite being an animated movie.

I'd also love to see some actual Shinobi weaponry, like fire arrows or the grenades they made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
CK.. your martial arts/weapons knowledge impresses me. I do find it interesting whenever you post these little tidbits of info. Thx!! --Rick
Thank you. I try to learn as much as I can, particularly the weapons that are in my schools curriculum like the Bo, katana, wakishazi. But I also have a interest in the Sai, and I have been in a couple of discussions about it's depiction in pop-culture.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 05-31-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #183
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I fashioned myself a pair of nunchaku, as they are illegal to sell where I live (can buy foam rubber ones, but ther are no MA store in the city) and watching some how-to-do videos I tried to do the various moves you could do with them. I would often hit myself in the back head, groin and one time right on the nose.

I also prefer Leo's swords being correctly portrayed. One of the "Ninjato" myths are that the straight blades was cheaper, thus easier to dispose if the ninja as it necessary. But the truth is, the way Nihinto (Japanese swords) where forged, the curvature is a natural process, and is why Nihonto is curved past the 10th century. It would be more expensive to forcefully straighten the blade.

I do wish Leo would have a longsword and a short sword like he do have in the Nick cartoon. As that is the proper way to dual wield Japanese swords. But, equal length swords do often look better on an artistic standpoint.

I am curious if we'll see the turtles use more then just their signature weapons due to Mikey's sansetsukon. Maybe Raph can use a pair of jutte, which is like a Sai, only have one tong rather then two (Nick basic figure had a pair of those) and it would be cool to see Donnie use a Naginata or a yari. And I really wanna se some Shuriken use, something I feel the first trilogy lacked, they did some in the Imagi movie, but I'd love to see some actual Shuriken usage, especially Bo Shuriken as I've grown a bit tired of constantly seeing the hira Shuriken (star shape) or at least have different variations on the hira Shuriken.

And smoke bombs, although they use them in the Nick cartoon, their property is very fantastical in the show, acting more like a teleporter then a smoke screen. the Imagi movie had some great smoke bomb moments as it was treated more realistic despite being an animated movie.

I'd also love to see some actual Shinobi weaponry, like fire arrows or the grenades they made.

Thank you. I try to learn as much as I can, particularly the weapons that are in my schools curriculum like the Bo, katana, wakishazi. But I also have a interest in the Sai, and I have been in a couple of discussions about it's depiction in pop-culture.
What got me started with Nunchaku was a pair of cheapy Foam ones from an arcade, that i retro fitted with wood dowels and thin para-cord,

I have since made my own wood one bought a pair of pro chucks, and then Acquired Really heavy wood nunchaku, as well as ordering chained foam practice par I can do several tricks i need to practice with my left hand more. .

And to Get Iaito to practice.

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #184
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I love doing iai kata, been a long while though. The school have changed practicing hours to a time where I most often work, which makes me unable to fully join the training full on. And I don't own a iaito, as it was too rich for my blood when I was active.

I do own a crappy wall hanger sword that I used when I practiced at home, but the scabbard is broken in half, cause it's a $100 sword. I bought it years ago when I first got my own bank account card, which must have been 10-15 years ago. Unbalanced and just bad but for sheathing practice it did the job well enough.

I have been oogling at some iaitos at bugei.com, I might be able to save some and finally get me a proper training sword.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 05-31-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #185
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Yeah, I imagine that if I ever picked up a pair, I'd do a pretty good re-enactment of April's nunchaku fail in SoTO.
Yep you and me both. I've tried with plastic ones a few years ago and I got carried away..
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #186
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Yep you and me both. I've tried with plastic ones a few years ago and I got carried away..
Totes - I envy anyone who has the grace and physical coordination to do any type of martial art (or dancing for that matter).

I move with all of the finesse of drunken flamingo - and that's on a good day.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #187
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I'm in the process of learning nunchaku myself. My father made me a pair from a broomstick. He learned how to use them like 30 or 40 years ago and now he's teaching me.

So far I haven't done anything too damaging, but one time I went to a friend's for a few days and showed off for her and her roommates, then came back and as soon as I jumped into the shower I noticed I had some DARK ****in bruises on my hips. I don't actually remember hitting myself there, but apparently it happened.

My dad has some STORIES, though. He didn't use anything other than homemade wooden chucks for years, and the first time he picked up a foam rubber pair attached by a swivel chain in a martial arts shop the chain was longer than the cords he was used to, so when he tried to show off with them, he missed a catch and ended up hitting himself in the eyes which shattered his glasses. He had glass shards in his eyes.

HE CONTINUED TO USE THEM AFTER THAT.

He also had a pair he made from hollow airplane ladder pegs [he used to work on planes in the air force] and whenever he swung them they whistled. Currently he's got a pair he made from aluminium that he once broke a beer bottle with; when he was showing them off for a friend, the dumbass decided to toss his empty bottle at him and he shattered it. They've even got a dent to prove it.

And he told me that when he was still learning, every single house he lived in had to have the ceiling re-painted when he moved out because his chucks would make marks on the ceiling. It's what happens when you paint them yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #188
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post

And he told me that when he was still learning, every single house he lived in had to have the ceiling re-painted when he moved out because his chucks would make marks on the ceiling. It's what happens when you paint them yourself.
I managed one time getting my katana stuck in the roof, a good inch had pierced the thin wood. When I let go of the handle, the blade was hanging still on its own
Old 06-02-2014, 02:41 AM   #189
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
My dad has some STORIES, though. He didn't use anything other than homemade wooden chucks for years, and the first time he picked up a foam rubber pair attached by a swivel chain in a martial arts shop the chain was longer than the cords he was used to, so when he tried to show off with them, he missed a catch and ended up hitting himself in the eyes which shattered his glasses. He had glass shards in his eyes.

HE CONTINUED TO USE THEM AFTER THAT.

He also had a pair he made from hollow airplane ladder pegs [he used to work on planes in the air force] and whenever he swung them they whistled. Currently he's got a pair he made from aluminium that he once broke a beer bottle with; when he was showing them off for a friend, the dumbass decided to toss his empty bottle at him and he shattered it. They've even got a dent to prove it.

Netkeeper, I'm now half-convinced that your father is actually Chuck Norris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I managed one time getting my katana stuck in the roof, a good inch had pierced the thin wood. When I let go of the handle, the blade was hanging still on its own
Dang, I think there needs to be a thread for martial-arts related mishaps - I bet some of you have some hilarious stories.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #190
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Totes - I envy anyone who has the grace and physical coordination to do any type of martial art (or dancing for that matter).

I move with all of the finesse of drunken flamingo - and that's on a good day.
Lmao I'm with you on that.. i used to be into karate when i was younger but as i got older i got into different things.. like playing music and cooking. My two biggest passions beside our green friends here lol. I wish I could fight like some of these martial artist. I admire them.

I keep watching this video of Splinters double and it amazes me that he doesn't smash his own face in lol. It is soo badass
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #191
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Lmao I'm with you on that.. i used to be into karate when i was younger but as i got older i got into different things.. like playing music and cooking. My two biggest passions beside our green friends here lol. I wish I could fight like some of these martial artist. I admire them.

I keep watching this video of Splinters double and it amazes me that he doesn't smash his own face in lol. It is soo badass
Agreed, some of the stunt videos on here rock tits. Though my most-watched video is the TMNT Style one that was posted here a while back. I keep re-watching it and re-watching it...

... and wish desperately that I had a tenth of that coolness, but then realise that it'd require me doing exercise - and I'm way too lazy for that.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #192
gettinshell
Thug

Quote:

I was watching that clip and thinking how sick it would be to see someone try and mug that guy
gettinshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #193
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Quote:
Agreed, some of the stunt videos on here rock tits. Though my most-watched video is the TMNT Style one that was posted here a while back. I keep re-watching it and re-watching it...

http://img.pandawhale.com/8204-cm820...c5gif-P4qO.gif

... and wish desperately that I had a tenth of that coolness, but then realise that it'd require me doing exercise - and I'm way too lazy for that.
The funny part is the guy who plays leo in the styles video is a stunt man in this movie which is amazing people have so little faith that the ignore that lol People saw that video and freaked out "i want this movie" " i want this kind of action in the new movie" well him and a bunch of other GREAT martial artist are in the this movie.

The stunt and Choreography team along with there whole second unit teams Should be enough to put some people worries aside, But nope

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #194
Glados
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by samxsteal View Post
The funny part is the guy who plays leo in the styles video is a stunt man in this movie which is amazing people have so little faith that the ignore that lol People saw that video and freaked out "i want this movie" " i want this kind of action in the new movie" well him and a bunch of other GREAT martial artist are in the this movie.

The stunt and Choreography team along with there whole second unit teams Should be enough to put some people worries aside, But nope
What it really depends on is how well they utilize the talents they have gotten on board. For everyone's expectations sake I really, really hope the next trailer will show us some martial arts, it would put some of my own worries to rest. I don't ask for much, just a few glimpses of actual ninja action, pretty please... Fingers crossed that it can deliver that.
Glados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #195
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados View Post
What it really depends on is how well they utilize the talents they have gotten on board. For everyone's expectations sake I really, really hope the next trailer will show us some martial arts, it would put some of my own worries to rest. I don't ask for much, just a few glimpses of actual ninja action, pretty please... Fingers crossed that it can deliver that.
i 0do to if only to calm others im mostly sold and i would like and love to see more but if this was all i have sen i would still go see it i dont like spoiler trailers lol But im to "gullible" to not watch them lol

love you mom...
Quote:
--- @Ceejay
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #196
kolaida
Foot Soldier

The person who said that Mikey is wearing a wet suit with if half way down made my day! I laughed and laughed! Now, that does seem like Mikey. I think people express themselves different ways. In my teens, I didn't use my clothes for expression, but knew others who did. Anyway, I really like that wetsuit thing, it makes me giggly lol
kolaida is offline   Reply With Quote