The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #201
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll finish off the Detective Pikachu game to compare the stories and then write a review, meanwhile some random thoughts:

Many Pokemon are far too big in this movie, Treecko, Pikachu etc.

I like that Pikachu seems to be mostly based off his "Fat" design of Gen 1, probably too difficult to make Anorexic Pikachu realistic.

Wish they could've thrown more easter eggs when it came to references likes, but I'm sure there's still plenty in a where's waldo situation once the movie is released on video and we can check out the backgrounds but more world building coudl've been done.

Spoiler:
The father being Pikachu was a very interesting twist and it worked, the only bad thing is at the end Pikachu is just another "animal/Pokemon"and everything they went through was not real, I mean it works for the story but at the same time at the expense of the Pikachu

I'd like other spin-off movies, how about one based off Pokemon Colosseum/XD? Or Pokemon Snap? Nothing mainline, but plenty of references to mainline games. I hope the movie does well enough for a sequel but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
How was it? Kids don't always need "teh edge"
I feel it comes at the cost of character development,
Spoiler:
he solved the mystery, got to enjoy some time with his father and it was time to say good bye by making things "perfect" at the end (does that mean the grandma will be left all alone now? ) I feel it loses the emotional beats it had. Wouldn't the Lion King be w orse if Mufasa had survived somehow and came back at the end?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #202
Allio
Foot Elite

So since there are rumors of the Red/Blue movie and Mewtwo prequel film I decided to take my hand at an idea for the Mewtwo Movie. The movie itself adapts the Metwo OVA of the Return of Mewtwo.

Movie takes place 10 years prior to Detective Pikachu but 10 years after he escapes from Kanto.

Film has Pokemon trainer Green (set in Post-game of Red/Blue) is on Cinnabar Island as she is investigating the data as she searches for Mewtwo. The search leads her to the mountains where he has hidden himself.

Mewtwo, isolated, is haunted by dreams of a past he doesn’t remember (thinking about the dream sequence of the first film) and a voice of a little girl (Ai/Amber) when he is discovered by Green.

Meanwhile the organization that created Mewtwo is on the attack. They send cloned pokemon (Kabutops, Aerodactyle, etc) but most importantly other manmade pokemon (Like Genesect and Type:Null)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #203
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Finished off the Detective Pikachu game and it's basically the same story just told through different acts. In some ways the movie is better and in others the game. A Bolt of Brilliance ! Is an awesome catchphrase that I don't think made the cut for the movie.

I was surprised that Mewtwo is also a part of the story in the game, only a little less so than in the movie, in fact the mystery about Mewtwo and Pikachu's relationship is never given an answer and it's a cliffhanger so I liked what the movie did.

The final act is far better in the game since it's not a big hollywood spectacle and nothing as crazy as what we see in the movie. The mystery angle feels more real in the game since you actually solve a few mysteries which works great. On the downside because of that the story is a lot tighter in the movie. Still I would've preferred a small mystery like in the game instead of that whole giant torterra scene straight out of Star Wars.

Emilia is a far better partner than Lucy Stevens, the other characters play similar roles to ones from the movies but have different names/looks, I sort of prefer the ones from the movie. I'm normally against race changing but here the characters are so bland in the game and in the movie they have something at least.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #204
Allio
Foot Elite

after seeing this movie I decided to go ahead and watch the pokemon films I haven't seen. Which are essentially the XYZ films and the last best wishes.

Just saw Extreme Speed Genesect...god that was bad. I feel it's all crap until Power of Us
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #205
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Just got back from seeing it. Had some bumps but this easily the best video game adaptation to date. Really curious where the sequel will go.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #206
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Saw it today, not bad, it reminded me of a much more child friendly version of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #207
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I finished my review/ comparison of the 3DS Detective Pikachu game and the movie here. I forgot to mention that getting Pokemon cards when you watch a Pokemon movie is such a cool thing They also did it for I Choose You Pikachu and it makes me feel like a little kid going to see those first two Pokemon movies in the theaters.

I loved the Sugimori artwork of all the actors during the credits, I'd totally love a manga with that style done of the movie, I felt we were just teased. I'm a big fan of those artistic credits before the actual credits of movies and I'm glad it's a trend, better than post credit scenes
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #208
The Deadman
Foot Elite

DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2 Will Reportedly Be The Next Film In The Franchise, Spinoffs To Follow
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/anime...follow-a168421

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #209
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Treated myself to a double feature of Detective Pikachu (2D) / John Wick 3 (Dolby Cinema) yesterday. So my general thoughts on the former.

I'm only a casual Pokemon fan, some exposure to the games and show but never got very invested. So I mostly approached it as a video game fan who's seen dozens of bad movies based on games and wanted to see what they could pull off. I wanted this to be good so that it might open up the possibility for more Nintendo-themed movies/tv. I'd love to see something Zelda-based before I die.

I thought the world they created visually looked beautiful, especially the city. All of the pokemon look really cool, very few look creepy or badly done. Mostly really liked that.

Story was definitely very standard and wasn't keeping me hooked very well. The mystery wasn't very compelling and the female side character had little to add. So what you are left with is Detective Pikachu himself who is done very well (looks great, is funny, and has one of the better story arcs in the film)

Biggest complaint is a lot of what happens in the plot feels ripped straight from an episode of the anime show -- and not really in a good way. Low quality writing, very strange/implausible/eye-rolling/contrived things you'd fully expect from an anime episode aimed at preteen kids... especially once the main villain is revealed and starts conducting his 'master plan'

I'll just say... as a Pokemon fan there's a lot to enjoy, as a fan of action/adventure movies it's very poor. As a video game movie... it's probably one of the best ever made, but we all know that's not a high bar.

What matters most to me is that it has generally been a success both with audiences and at the box office, which hopefully will lead to more Nintendo projects.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #210
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2 Will Reportedly Be The Next Film In The Franchise, Spinoffs To Follow
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/anime...follow-a168421
The movie has a definite end unlike the video game which leaves it open ended, I wonder how they'll do a sequel without a crappy retcon of having Raynolds back as pikachu.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #211
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I went back to see Pokémon: Detective Pikachu again in theaters last week. It's still a very entertaining and funny movie. I'm still debating on whether or not it would be okay to show in my after-school program on Fridays despite having a PG rating. In other news, the film's home media release dates have been announced along with some special features.

Quote:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially announced that Pokémon: Detective Pikachu will arrive on Digital HD on July 23rd and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD on August 6.

4K, BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

“POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” 4K UHD Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack contain the following special features:

Detective Mode
Alternate Opening
My Pokémon Adventure
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Welcome to Ryme City
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Uncovering the Magic
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Action
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Colorful Characters
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Bringing Pokémon to Life
Mr. Mime’s Audio Commentary
Ryan Reynolds – Outside the Actor’s Studio
“Carry On” by Rita Ora and Kygo (Music Video)

“POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” DVD Special Edition contains the following special features:

Alternate Opening
My Pokémon Adventure
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Welcome to Ryme City
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Uncovering the Magic
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Action
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Colorful Characters
Creating the World of Detective Pikachu: Bringing Pokémon to Life
Mr. Mime’s Audio Commentary
Ryan Reynolds – Outside the Actor’s Studio
“Carry On” by Rita Ora and Kygo (Music Video)
POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Details & Special Features Revealed
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #213
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I wanna see Mew in the sequel. I love Mew.

Tags
a day inside may, adayinsidemaythemovie, detective sjw, goddammithollywood, picuckchu, pikapool, really?