The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How do you feel about the origins of Splinter in the FW series?

You know how Splinter and Hamato Yoshi were the same person in the FW series? And then Hamato Yoshi turned into a rat due to coming in contact with the mutagen while the Turtles... well you know that part.

Splinter as Hamato Yoshi was the leader of the Foot Clan, and Oroku Saki was the student that screwed him over. Now obviously the way Yoshi got screwed was pretty stupid and hard to believe. Those three guys didn't see the knife and assumed Yoshi wanted to kill the old guy. And for whatever reason Splinter ran away to USA, NYC of all places which is on the East Coast, therefore VERY FAR from Japan(how the hell did he even end up there if he was poor/broke?!). But anyway, Splinter was the leader of the Foot Clan. Shredder was his student. Then he betrayed him, turned the Clan into a criminal organisation in Japan and then also moved to USA to look for Yoshi and kill him... but ended up turning him into a rat and mutating the 4 Turtles into what they've become. The irony of this is stunning.

Give FW all the flack you want, but you cant' really say it handled the Splinter and Turtle origins that bad. Splinter and Hamato Yoshi being the same person is more realistic and believable than a pet rat learning martial arts from watching his master train and then randomly finding a book about Renaissance art and name the Turtles after 4 Italian artists. In the FW series Yoshi was a man into art. He didn't just find a book lying in the sewers about it. He stated those were his favourite artists.

Now, after knowing about Mirage and watching the 2k3 series I too stopped viewing the FW origin as a legitimate one and pretty much see Splinter having been Yoshi's pet rat as the canon origin, but I can't say his origin was handled poorly in the FW series.

As for Shredder, his origin also fit the FW series. It's not as personal as Oroku Saki killing Yoshi, but since Yoshi and Splinter were the same people in the FW series, that'd not have worked for obvious reasons. Shredder stabbing Splinter in the back and taking over the Foot Clan was rather believable tbh. It's still a personal issue between both men, even though Splinter isn't exactly looking for vengeance in this cartoon.

So yeah, thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I prefer human to rat origin, something about a rat learning ninjutsu from watching his owner is a concept that I have trouble swallowing even in a very bizarre series which is TMNT.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

I like Splinter being Yoshi, to me it makes a stronger story for the rivalry between him and Shredder and also (to me) makes them seem more equal opponents. Also the turltes are trained by Yoshi himself. However I know from reading other threads that others have a different view.

Above was slightly edited.

Last edited by newfan; 10-01-2017 at 03:32 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
hmmm I feel a possible argument coming on.....

I like Splinter being Yoshi, to me it makes a stronger story for the rivalry between him and Shredder and also (to me) makes him seem more equal opponent. However I know from reading other threads that others don't like it.
Tbh a pet rat seeing his beloved owner being murdered is quite sad and makes it sweeter for Splinter and the Turtles to kick Shredder's metal ass. Also, you could argue that Splinter being an animal all along makes him living with Turtles and considering them his sons more believable. I like the idea of April being the very first human being that the Turtles become friends with and accept as family.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

I don't know. The whole thing just kind of feels like it was originally copied from the comic, but then someone didn't think an origin that relied on three people getting murdered was OK for kids, so it was just sloppily altered.

I mean the basic beats of the comic origin goes like this:
  1. Yoshi flees Japan after he murders Nagi.
  2. Shen and Yoshi are murdered by Saki, so Splinter (the rat) goes down the sewer.
  3. Splinter mutates by touching the ooze covered turtles, which turns all of them into humanoids.

And in the FW show it goes like this:
  1. Yoshi flees Japan after he's accused of a murder attempt.
  2. He (an educated human being) goes down the sewer.
  3. Yoshi mutates by touching the ooze covered turtles, which results in them mutating into identical humanoids while he becomes a rat.

You can sort of tell by how sloppy it is, it was probably going to be the original origin before a re-write.

Edit: And I've said this before, trying to explain how the same localised incident causes four identical transformations and one extremely different one is just jumping through pointless hoops.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm "eh" on the former Foot involvement, but Yoshi and Splinter being the same person is my preferred origin. Just fits more natural to me that he'd already be a skilled martial artist, not just learned via by mimicry, and bring a human lifestyle and knowledge with him in the way that he'd raise the Turtles and educate them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese man turning into a rodent origin story.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't know. The whole thing just kind of feels like it was originally copied from the comic, but then someone didn't think an origin that relied on three people getting murdered was OK for kids, so it was just sloppily altered.

I mean the basic beats of the comic origin goes like this:
  1. Yoshi flees Japan after he murders Nagi.
  2. Shen and Yoshi are murdered by Saki, so Splinter (the rat) goes down the sewer.
  3. Splinter mutates by touching the ooze covered turtles, which turns all of them into humanoids.

And in the FW show it goes like this:
  1. Yoshi flees Japan after he's accused of a murder attempt.
  2. He (an educated human being) goes down the sewer.
  3. Yoshi mutates by touching the ooze covered turtles, which results in them mutating into identical humanoids while he becomes a rat.

You can sort of tell by how sloppy it is, it was probably going to be the original origin before a re-write.
I mean, in the 2k3 series, you see Shredder killing Hamato Yoshi. And it's not like the 2k3 series was that violent. I twas still a kids show. I guess that still wasn't acceptable in a children cartoon back in 1988?
Old 10-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I guess that still wasn't acceptable in a children cartoon back in 1988?
I used to think so, but I saw a Superfriends (animated Justice League) episode with flashback scenes where Batman's parents are killed outside the cinema. It wasn't much, just they walked through the alleyway, and then it was told they had been attacked and were gone.

So maybe, they could've had Shredder striking towards Splinter with a samurai sword, then the screen becoming black for some seconds and then just show a grave and Hamato Yoshi's Japanese friends in New York City mourning him.

When the 2003-2009 series aired, times had changed and we saw Hamato Yoshi being tortured.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I mean, in the 2k3 series, you see Shredder killing Hamato Yoshi. And it's not like the 2k3 series was that violent. I twas still a kids show. I guess that still wasn't acceptable in a children cartoon back in 1988?
Eh, not really. While it's obvious that's indeed what happens, the audience never technically sees it because the camera doesn't follow the claw for long enough. Hell, Splinter don't even get to see it, he closes his eyes as it happens.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I used to think so, but I saw a Superfriends (animated Justice League) episode with flashback scenes where Batman's parents are killed outside the cinema. It wasn't much, just they walked through the alleyway, and then it was told they had been attacked and were gone.

So maybe, they could've had Shredder striking towards Splinter with a samurai sword, then the screen becoming black for some seconds and then just show a grave and Hamato Yoshi's Japanese friends in New York City mourning him.

When the 2003-2009 series aired, times had changed and we saw Hamato Yoshi being tortured.
Don't forget Leonardo cutting Shredder's head off. Granted he later picked his head up and walked off and we didn't know he was an Utrom yet... but that scene took balls to animate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Why are pointing out him being Japanese? What are you implying? That it's another one of those examples of a non-white character being treated poorly in the American media or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Eh, not really. While it's obvious that's indeed what happens, the audience never technically sees it because the camera doesn't follow the claw for long enough. Hell, Splinter don't even get to see it, he closes his eyes as it happens.
Well obviously you don't see him bleeding to death or getting his cut throat... but it's not like it was a very tame scene overall.

I wonder why it was acceptable for 2003 but not for 1988. Tbh the 2k3 series got away with some risky stuff such as Leonardo "cutting" Shredder's head off and ofc the episode SAINW.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
He (an educated human being) goes down the sewer.
I assumed with 2012 (prior to loan rat and cubs ep) that he only went to the sewers after being mutated, I preferred that. I suppose though with being disgraced and more so maybe in hiding may be why he was in the sewers before then in FW.

Last edited by newfan; 10-01-2017 at 04:01 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
You're so predictable.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You're so predictable.
Yeah I don't get what plastron is implying here. Ok, a Japanese man turns into a rat... but it's not like his character is handled poorly. Nor Shredder's for that matter. Splinter is taken seriously and Shredder isn't given a goofy comical accent.

The FW series had its own issues, but never struck me as racist or culturally insensitive. In fact, it was the first ever cartoon I've seen with Japanese elements in it, which was kinda interesting considering the FW series predates the anime boom in USA and the West as a whole. I'd even credit the FW series as planting the seeds of my interest for Japanese and East Asian cultures in general. It definitely warmed me up to them. Now, ofc I know real ninjas weren't like the Turtles and such, but it's not like Iv'e ever seen the FW series as a guide for Japanese culture and history, anyway.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm not a huge fan of the FW origin, it's seem rather strange that Yoshi is that easily defeated and thrown out of the clan when he's the rightful inheritor of it knowing the super secret Three-Stooges manouver that's proof of being the next in line for being Head of the Clan.

Quote:
Why are pointing out him being Japanese? What are you implying? That it's another one of those examples of a non-white character being treated poorly in the American media or something?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
ToTheNines
[sic]

Google "Japanese rat propaganda".

It's real, but largely forgotten. Clearly not the intention of anyone at Fred Wolf Films.

But, ya know...

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the FW origin, it's seem rather strange that Yoshi is that easily defeated and thrown out of the clan when he's the rightful inheritor of it knowing the super secret Three-Stooges manouver that's proof of being the next in line for being Head of the Clan.

https://po394.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/jap-trap.jpg
...I think that's just a coincidence. I mean, if you're gonna point fingers, then at least blame Mirage for Splinter being the pet rat of a Japanese man. Technically Splinter himself, even when not human, is Japanese in habits and culture.

I think, if that's what plastron is implying, is reading too much into it. Besides, if there was any bigotry behind the creation of the TMNT franchise, the Turtles and Splinter would not have been the good guys, right? And laird and Eastman were born after WW2 was over anyway.

Anyway, it's quite appalling how blatantly racist and dehumanising WW2 propaganda was. I've always thought the atomic bombs were borderline genocidal acts for that as well(and also, you know killing hundreds of thousands of civilians?. But yeah, back to the thread subject please.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You're so predictable.
That's probably because my answer hasn't changed since the last time someone asked this question.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I highly doubt it was by design, and it's just a unfortunate happenstance. But FW Splinter is basically just the old Asian wise man and little else of character and personality behind it, so I can certainly see people think more about the coincident (although in that regard IDW would be a better example of the Yoshi-to-rat versions). At least FW Human!Splinter don't have rodent features like the teeth and beady eyes.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I highly doubt it was by design, and it's just a unfortunate happenstance. But FW Splinter is basically just the old Asian wise man and little else of character and personality behind it, so I can certainly see people think more about the coincident (although in that regard IDW would be a better example of the Yoshi-to-rat versions). At least FW Human!Splinter don't have rodent features like the teeth and beady eyes.
Well indeed it is a cliché archetype. He's basically an animated Mr. Miyagi. But hardly an offensive one.

Tags
wokeness