The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #101
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

I just want to see a good movie. That is my hope. That this property gets a decent film handled with respect and not just tossed into the generic kid film category.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #102
Cipher
Foot Elite

Wow, this thread really blew up overnight. Just responding to some things from earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The turtles are not on life support, Nick bought them, they are safer than they've ever been.
It's do or die time, though, even from Nick. The Turtles haven't maintained a presence in the last few years. Nick needs to come out with something big or they're not going to catch interest again.

Quote:
Also transformers has never been on life-support? Transformers have had larger breaks than TMNT has ever had and has had plenty of failed revivals.
You don't know the history of Transformers. You're glib. They've been off shelves for about one or two years since the franchise first started, and that's only in the U.S. In the years prior to Bay's movie, they were plugging along just fine with major toy-lines, comics and the joint Hasbro-Takara animated series.

Transformers, even before Bay's movies, had enough of a following to warrant annual, well-attended conventions in multiple countries. Turtles hasn't been able to say that since, what? 1993?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabunga Carl
I just want to see a good movie. That is my hope. That this property gets a decent film handled with respect and not just tossed into the generic kid film category.
Far more likely, it'll just be tossed into the category of generic teen film now. You're mileage may vary on whether or not that makes for a "good movie" (it doesn't, and it won't be), but it's a good sign for the franchise overall.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #103
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
It's do or die time, though, even from Nick. The Turtles haven't maintained a presence in the last few years. Nick needs to come out with something big or they're not going to catch interest again.
Succesful toyline for a few years, tons of licensed products including wardrobe/video games, 166 episodes, a DTV and a movie that made nearly three times its budget. Thats a huge presence, even popular shows don't last more than 52 episodes. The fad of the original show is never going to happen again but to say the revival was a failure is a huge lie. The turtles were also on Fox Box/4Kidstv a block that had very few viewers and managed all of the above.

Even if Nicks revival fails they aren't going to toss the turtles aside, they are in it for the long run.

Quote:
You don't know the history of Transformers. You're glib. They've been off shelves for about one or two years since the franchise first started, and that's only in the U.S. In the years prior to Bay's movie, they were plugging along just fine with major toy-lines, comics and the joint Hasbro-Takara animated series.

Transformers, even before Bay's movies, had enough of a following to warrant annual, well-attended conventions in multiple countries. Turtles hasn't been able to say that since, what? 1993?
I was talking about the shows, only the original show, beast wars and until recently Transformers animated have been successful shows. The 2000 revival shows did bad even if the toys sold.

Transformers has a bigger fandom but thats because the fandom is a lot older, a few years ago the original transformer fans were already in college or finished college while most of the TMNT fans were still in their teens. Thats the difference.

(I'd also blame the divided fandom as to the reason the fandom is so small, I'm a member of a lot of fandoms and this is easily one of the most hostile/unfriendly ones, I don't really know why, I can't put my finger on it.)
I do believe with the Nick revival the fandom is only going to grow with old and new members. While the 4kids revival wasn't a failure it was too early for the original fans to notice. The fans ARE there, the turtles are always remembered fondly and frequently by people, in fact I'm sure there were more turtle fans than transformers before their movie came out, it was a much bigger franchise back in the day.
Quote:
Far more likely, it'll just be tossed into the category of generic teen film now. You're mileage may vary on whether or not that makes for a "good movie" (it doesn't, and it won't be), but it's a good sign for the franchise overall.
Yeah like the Transformers film was. This is good for the franchise rather than another TMNT 2007. Whether its good or not is really going to depend on the person. The fandom on this forum who seems to want STRAIGHT UP MIRAGE OR BUST are surely going to be disappointed, me? Who knows how it turns out but I have a pretty open mind about what the turtles are.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #104
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I said I would eat roaches?! Oh noes! I remember saying I'd eat dirt... I could never chomp a roach. EW.
Oops, sorry, man. I misremembered. Must be my old age, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranigmaFreak
Wow... this is just sad. Michael Bay + Platinum Dune. Could we possibly get a worse combination?
Dude, every Platinum Dunes flick has had that combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker
How are they destroying anything? Why is it so hard for people to grasp the fact that the originals still exist and won't go anywhere because of a remake.
Well, I don't want to change the subject of the thread but what dontplaydead27 said is not absurd, although "destroy" might not be the correct term. Say for example that in the early 00's, the Rocky and Rambo franchises were rebooted. You can be sure that Rocky Balboa and Rambo (4) wouldn't have been made afterwards. This is just an example, it doesn't really apply with TMNT, but I hope you get the idea I'm trying to express here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa
I'll never joke about such things again...
Amen.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #105
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Well, I don't want to change the subject of the thread but what dontplaydead27 said is not absurd, although "destroy" might not be the correct term. Say for example that in the early 00's, the Rocky and Rambo franchises were rebooted. You can be sure that Rocky Balboa and Rambo (4) wouldn't have been made afterwards. This is just an example, it doesn't really apply with TMNT, but I hope you get the idea I'm trying to express here.
It closes the door for direct sequels sure but in the case of the rebooted franchises it's a good thing. 13th and Nightmare had lost what little credibility they had and the movies were not getting any better.

It's a case by case thing and TMNT is definitely in need of a reboot.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #106
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Trust me, this is good news.
I totally see where you're coming from and my serious opinion is similar to yours, but I'm still gonna poke fun at it.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #107
Leonardo19
Foot Soldier

hmmmmmmm. well the movie will probably get a bigger budget then i thought.

GOONGALA!
Leonardo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #108
PizzaFan87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
If anything remotely close to that happens with the Turtles because of Michael Bay's involvement, then mission absolutely accomplished in my book.
That's a good point. Plus, let's not forget the animated series on Nickelodeon. So, a combination of things can result in TMNT's rise to popularity.

Quote:
With a global take of $107,071,655 and a budget of only 9 million (about a fourth of the last TMNT movie's production budget) it certainly takes notice.
It was a very profitable movie, but not a mega blockbuster. Transformers: ROTF grossing $836.2 million worldwide is a mega blockbuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa View Post
Shia Leblouf will probably play Casey Jones
All joking aside, that's very doubtful. If Shia LaBeouf is cast it'll be voicing one of the Turtles. With TMNT, the voice cast is very important - much more than the physical actors. So, if any A-listers want to be in this film it'll be as the voice of the Turtles. I expect unknown actors for the physical roles like April, Casey, and Shredder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
is anyone else catching a Deja vu vibe here? If memory serves when New Line made the first Turtles movie the only property they had bringing home the bulk of their bacon was the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series.
New Line Cinema didn't technically make the movie. They were the distributor. Raymond Chow and Golden Harvest were the company behind the film.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #109
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

No joke. Shia as Donatello would be a choice I could get behind.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #110
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Imagine if the scrap the reboot angle and make this a direct sequel to the first movie
Zero chance of that. There are no reverse gears in this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The only truth is that John Fusco is the writer.
Don't expect him to be the only one.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #112
sdp
-

Well around the internet the news has been met negatively, they fail to realize Bay is not directing the movie so his name is just there to get attention. Which the negativity isn't necessarily bad, both transformers movies were destroyed by the internet and they did more than fine. And since Bay is not directing its just there to give the movie promotion which is/will work with the general audience. The movie doesn't need a famous director just a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo19 View Post
hmmmmmmm. well the movie will probably get a bigger budget then i thought.
I expect the movie to get a 100 million dollar budget
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #113
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

Teaser Poster Leaked.

Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #114
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Don't Fox and Bay hate eachother now?

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #115
PizzaFan87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
No joke. Shia as Donatello would be a choice I could get behind.
I can live with that. Corey Feldman played Donatello and no one cried a river. However, Donatello is too much of a supporting role for someone of LaBeouf's success. He'll probably be Leonardo. If cast, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Don't Fox and Bay hate eachother now?
Yes. In fact, Megan Fox was just fired from Transformers 3.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #116
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Shia as one of the Turtles... Urh!

Don't want him near another franchise I like, he's a horrible actor
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #117
Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle
Stone Warrior

People, just because his production company will be responsible for making the first live action Turtles movie in nearly 2 decades, doesn't mean that he will actually direct. Bay produced both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Both movies were pretty decently good. So relax. Just means that this movie will get the necessary funding to kick ass. I just hope we actually start hearing some stuff about casting, story, etc. soon though. The new was announced like what, 9 or 10 months ago? Time to get the ball rolling, Viacom!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #118
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle View Post
People, just because his production company will be responsible for making the first live action Turtles movie in nearly 2 decades, doesn't mean that he will actually direct.
It's very, very unlikely that Bay would take the director's chair. It doesn't mean it's completely out of the question, though.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #119
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
It's very, very unlikely that Bay would take the director's chair. It doesn't mean it's completely out of the question, though.
Andrew, judging by your comments, you seem to be pretty confident that the folks at Platinum Dunes are very excited to be doing this project, and that the movie will be a nice gritty return to the turtles roots. You even claimed that another poster wasn't "in possession of all the facts".
Now I'm not saying your wrong. I'm hoping your right. And I may have misinterpreted the "facts" post, but do you have a leg up on us when it comes to what's really going on with this movie, or are you just a "true believer"?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #120
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Been looking at John Fusco's writing history. He hasn't written anything good or renowned. I guess if you like that sort of thing "Forbidden Kingdom" is known but I think the only reason is because Jet Li and Jackie Chan co-star in it. He's also apparently writing a "Seven Samurai" remake. They want an action comedy and he has written comedy, "Young Guns", but like Andrew says there will have to be other writers. Hopefully serious writers. I enjoy when the turtles tell jokes to but not when it gets to the point of being slapstick. Which from what I saw of "Forbidden Kingdom" is what he likes to write.

Next I checked in on Brad Fuller. No surprise he's done everything Bay has done. All crappy horror films and crime dramas. In the crime dramas defense I've never seen them but I have those horror remakes and they're not very good or impressive. Andrew Form is the same story except he has some romantic comedy on his list

Galen Walker is more of a sound designer then a producer. All he's produced is that Highlander animated movie and TMNT.

Lastly we have Scott Mednick whose produced such great films as "Superman Returns", "10,000 BC", "Beerfest", and "300". He also designed the logo for "Dirty Dancing".

Maybe it's the pessimistic turtle fan in me but 5 producers and none of them have worked a good movie. Sounds like a losing combo. I'll hold out complete destruction of my hopes and aspirations for the director announcement though.

Tags
live action films