The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #141
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Was that a dinosaur? I am so looking forward to this!

(Question: If I wanted to collect the single issues alongside the trades, do I have to order them in advance, or can you just go to a store after the release date and buy them off the shelf?
I usually go to the store for my comics/trades, but I think there's a subscription service.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #143
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So, this's a piece of official cover art? Looks nice even if it's not.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #144
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
So, this's a piece of official cover art? Looks nice even if it's not.
I just said it was another variant, meaning it's official. It's exclusive to KRS Comics store chains
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #145
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Gerry Conway liked a photoshop I made (sent to him by a good friend, I don't use twitter)

https://twitter.com/gerryconway/stat...69542108499968
Old 10-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #146
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I just said it was another variant, meaning it's official.
Oh, sorry.

Quote:
It's exclusive to KRS Comics store chains
Shoot, that's probably the best cover so far.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #147
ZariusTwo
Overlord

No surprise, Quesada brought up that he unmarried Peter Parker at NYCC and said it was the "right thing to do".

Of course, he must have been the one to OK Renew Your Vows, so one wonders how much of that he means these days or if he's being sarcastic

Also likens the personalities of Marvel writers online as "wrestling personas"

A look at RYV#3's cover

Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #148
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
No surprise, Quesada brought up that he unmarried Peter Parker at NYCC and said it was the "right thing to do".

Of course, he must have been the one to OK Renew Your Vows, so one wonders how much of that he means these days or if he's being sarcastic
Unless he means that it was the right thing to do for the 616 comics and RYV's existence as a side-story doesn't affect that. I disagree with his assessment 100%, but I can follow that be might permit this element outside of the "main" scope of things, esp. since I think the RYV series is being produced primarily because of the original sales.

Quote:
Also likens the personalities of Marvel writers online as "wrestling personas"
Huh.

Quote:
l like it.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #149
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Unless he means that it was the right thing to do for the 616 comics and RYV's existence as a side-story doesn't affect that.
For now anyway...but you know me, I'm always thinking there's bigger plans to come

He does say "was the right thing" too, not "IS", and a few years ago they would have definitely have said the latter.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #150
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
For now anyway...but you know me, I'm always thinking there's bigger plans to come

He does say "was the right thing" too, not "IS", and a few years ago they would have definitely have said the latter.
Interesting observation.

Given though, that they've been stringing pre-OMD Spider-Man fans along for years with red herrings, bait-and-switches, misleading information, and anything and everything to rub salt in the wounds, in all honesty, I don't trust Marvel's comic division at all when it comes to this character.

We'll have to wait and see, of course, but the track record tells me that nothing's changed (although I will concede that the existence of both the original RYV miniseries and the new ongoing are stuff I couldn't imagine them allowing years ago).

(Is there any links to stuff about the interview/event/whatever in question?)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #151
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
(Is there any links to stuff about the interview/event/whatever in question?)
Bleeding Cool has it.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #152
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Bleeding Cool has it.
Thanks.

Not sure I agree with Quesada on everything (unmarrying Spider-Man is still an asinine decision, IMHO, and I don't see how acting like a jerk online in justifiable in any way, even if it is a "joke" or not meant to be taken seriously).

But, it is interesting to read about what the people who make this stuff think and how they approach their jobs.

(By the way, ZariusTwo, I missed the fan art cover you linked to before. Pretty cool. The "Rebirth" thing was clever, esp. since the RYV material has been paralleling and being compared to DC's "Lois and Clark" comic, right down to the latter being expanded into an ongoing as part of the DC Rebirth project -- and figuratively, too, since the RYV series as been a rebirth of the classic Spider-Man for many of us.)

Last edited by WebLurker; 10-09-2016 at 11:19 PM.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #154
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Another preview from RYV, Mrs. Parker kicks Moleoid ass

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26848/...ly_ties_deepen

Quote:
Love is in the air with Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman’s November 9-launching series AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS.

Next month, readers will get a chance to see what would have happened if Peter Parker and Mary Jane stayed together and had a daughter named Annie who herself goes on to fight crime. This ongoing, alternate-universe title picks up where the Secret Warsbook of the same name by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert left off, but blazes its own trail.

We talked with Stegman about working alongside a Spider-Man legend, building this new world, drawing accurate kid characters, and more.

Marvel.com: You’re working on this book with a Spider-Man legend. What’s the collaborative relationship like with Gerry?

Ryan Stegman: It’s an honor for starters. It’s also pretty daunting! He’s worked with some of the greatest artists in comics history. I’m just doing my best to not make a fool of myself.

Marvel.com: When it came to designing the super hero looks for Mary Jane and Annie, how much of it was original design and how much was looking back to the Secret Wars limited series?

Ryan Stegman: It was pretty much 100% original design. In the originalSecret Wars series, their costumes had context for how they had come up with them. It made perfect sense for that book. Even though this book picks up from where that one left off, there is a different context and I wanted to reflect that.

To me it wouldn’t make sense for MJ to continue sporting the Regent look, and it would make sense that Annie would start out with the costume she had in that series because they had to come up with something quickly. But now she’s had a little time and they’ve come up with something more practical.

^^^Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #1 preview inks by Ryan Stegman

Marvel.com: This series takes place in an alternate universe where, basically, Brand New Day didn’t happen. Is that giving you a lot of room to go in different directions with the designs of otherwise familiar characters?

Ryan Stegman: Absolutely. I can take these characters in any direction I want, pretty much. And that’s extremely liberating. I’ve always loved Spider-Man’s villains and I have a lot of thoughts on them and how they should be portrayed. Since I’m not really following anything, I can get into a creative space that is very exciting for me.

Marvel.com: Who have you had the most fun putting your stamp on so far?

Ryan Stegman: Mole Man! No question. This guy is UG-LY. And I absolutely love drawing him for it.

Marvel.com: What are the keys to getting Annie’s look right? It's not always easy to draw hero kids that still look like kids instead of tiny adults.

Ryan Stegman: Well, it’s very difficult to be honest! But to draw kids you have to exaggerate their features. You have to change the proportions of the head and make the eyes bigger. There’s a delicate balance between not exaggerating enough and exaggerating too much, but you just have to keep trying ‘til it works. I’ve got kids, too, so I look at them. Plus, I have a niece that is Annie’s age so I try and keep her in mind always.

Marvel.com: This version of Peter and MJ have been together for 10 years and have a daughter together. How do you portray them differently than you would if they were more newly in love?

Ryan Stegman: I’m not sure that I do! I portray them as very much in love, just as much as always. They are meant to be together, and while they may have their disagreements it always comes back to that place of love with them.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1 by Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman walks down the aisle on November 9!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #155
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Lettered preview of Renew Your Vows

More here

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articl...1/1100-156117/

This feels like Spider-Man...not just a throwback to a classic era, but something that feels like it belongs in the here and now. Conway has adapted well to the current style. I'm fully on board for this, it demonstrates the essential elements of the franchise: comedy, smarts, and chemistry.

I also heard a few interesting leaks from the Marvel office (this may or may not happen)

Spoiler:
The plan for RYV is to make it the centrepiece of a new "all ages, more innocent" Marvel Universe that could potentially be used as a soft Rebirth-style reboot for the company in case Marvel 2.0 fails
Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #156
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Lettered preview of Renew Your Vows

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads..._preview_1.jpg

More here

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articl...1/1100-156117/

This feels like Spider-Man...not just a throwback to a classic era, but something that feels like it belongs in the here and now. Conway has adapted well to the current style. I'm fully on board for this, it demonstrates the essential elements of the franchise: comedy, smarts, and chemistry.
Nice. There is a lot of exposition in the sample scene and for someone who's very used to the very "naturalistic" writing style from Ultimate Spider-Man (my favorite comic series of all time), it's a bit of an adjustment. But, I do like the jokes (can't stop laughing about the "not a truck", and is it sad or what that I know who Godzooky is despite having never seen a Godzilla movie or show in my life?) and all the characters sound like themselves, so I can't wait.

I also really like the paint-like colors and Spider-Man fighting a T. Rex is definitely on the list of things I didn't know I wanted until I saw it. (Can we please have a family vacation to the Savage Lands sometime?)

Quote:
So, is this variant a general release or for a specific store or something?

Quote:
I also heard a few interesting leaks from the Marvel office (this may or may not happen)

Spoiler:
The plan for RYV is to make it the centrepiece of a new "all ages, more innocent" Marvel Universe that could potentially be used as a soft Rebirth-style reboot for the company in case Marvel 2.0 fails
Thoughts on the spoilers:
Spoiler:
I think it's very possible that they have that idea as a possible contingency, at least. It makes a lot of business sense to keep their options, and there's no loss if they don't need to use it. And if the market supports both, hey, two revenues for the coffers are better than one.

The one reason I might discount it is that Conway and Stegman have been stating in the interviews that their series is the only one set in the RYV world, allowing them to bring in any guest-stars they want without coordinating with other series. While that could change, it seems odd that they would be emphasizing RYV standing alone when it's being considered to be the first of many (unless the hypothetical new Marvel universe isn't all in one continuity, but separate series with a similar tone.

It would be interesting if RYV did create a whole new universe, since that's what Spider-Girl and Ultimate Spider-Man did (although, ironically, in both cases, the Spider titles were the only installments in MC2 and Ultimate that seemed to gain and keep any long-term traction).

Personally, I'd kind of prefer if Marvel 2.0 was replaced by a newer world with RYV around. Admittedly, I never had a strong attachment to 616 (since the various movies, some cartoons, and Ultimate are the stuff that resonate with me), but I've never been that fond of the darker takes, and currently, Marvel comics are changing up so many stuff, a more back to basics approach sounds more appealing.

Is Marvel 2.0 not doing that well? From poking around the web, it seems like people are finding stuff on the publishing list that they want to check out?

Last edited by WebLurker; 10-14-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Forgot tag, now correct tag.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #157
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
So, is this variant a general release or for a specific store or something?
It's a UK retailer exclusive I think

Quote:
Is Marvel 2.0 not doing that well? From poking around the web, it seems like people are finding stuff on the publishing list that they want to check out?[/spoiler]
Last week saw more DC dominance, however it's early days yet, we'll know something concrete in the second week by the end of the weekend when the numbers come in.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #158
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Last week saw more DC dominance, however it's early days yet, we'll know something concrete in the second week by the end of the weekend when the numbers come in.
Wonder how bad things would have to get that they would decide a full-scale hard reboot is preferable to just modifying the exiting 616 comics?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #160
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
DC are still further ahead of the market share

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...tshare-august/
I have poked around forums and seen discussions and arguments on comic book sales and what that means for the series popularity with fans and whether or not they prove that certain decisions were good or not, etc. I'm kind of suspecting that sales data can be used to prove whatever you want, depending on how you analyze it.

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns