The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #181
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that was pretty f*cked up.

Cartoon Network is basically built on being iconoclastic and "skewering sacred cows" and all that, so I'm not entirely surprised, but that was a cheap shot even by their standards.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #182
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Thundercats Roar is done.
@RiseFallNick
·
Nov 20
One of the writers/producers for ThunderCats Roar confirmed that after the Holiday Specials air, the series is over, making it a one season and done series.

The series recieved immediate blowback for its look, and was delayed for over a year, writing seemed to be on the wall.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #183
CyberCubed
Overlord

I pretty much forgot this series even existed till this thread was bumped.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #184
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I pretty much forgot this series even existed till this thread was bumped.
Everyone did. Yet watch everyone here celebrate like it's something that affected them in any way.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #185
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Good. I’m still bothered that they unfairly killed off a very good 2011 series (which went on for 1 season just because the toys didn’t sell well?).

Then Thundercats Roar happened which I don’t really mind, it’s just like filler kinda like Teen Titans Go!. I don’t really watch but they can do their own thing. But even that they couldn’t manage well and died after 1 season.

I’m just gonna blame the poor decisions and management at this point. Maybe they deserve it.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #186
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I just hope all these shows like Rise and Roar going down sooner than expected don't give the execs the wrong idea and lead to the end of cartoons.

You know how they think. If they make a ****** Batman cartoon that bombs their first thought is usually "well I guess kids don't like Batman anymore" rather than admitting the cartoon being ******.

I'm worried if enough of these stupid lolsorandom cartoons get cancelled rather than get the message that no one likes these kinds of ****ed up reboots, they'll think "well I guess kids just flat out outgrew all cartoons" and pull the plug on the whole thing altogether.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #187
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, I doubt that greatly. Although we absolutely are living in a very dark time for cartoon shows in general.

Given the upcoming He-Man cartoon that's supposed to pick up where the original left off, I'd love to see something like that for Thundercats. Although the original cartoon is objectively not great and kind of overstayed its welcome by a bit - I've tried to do a full-series run a few times and it is REALLY hard to finish, partly because Lion-O is a complete f*cking idiot and the voice acting for the supporting and background characters is atrocious. But all the pieces were there for it to be a great show, and rather than another full reboot I'd like to see someone take the same basic elements and apply better writing and execution, the way the early-2000s comic book series did to great effect. They didn't try and change anything, really; they just dialed down the camp and took the characters and scenarios seriously, and it turned out pretty well. The early few mini-series, anyway. By "Dogs of War" they'd kinda lost the plot.

I thought the 2011 reboot was "okay", I just didn't really like most of the character designs. Although Cheetara certainly turned out just fine. And I thought some of the revamped story elements weren't all that good or even necessary, although some of the ideas were intriguing. I thought it was one of the better reboots in general but that's not really saying a lot.

I do think the brand deserved a lot better than "Roar", though. THAT felt like "giving up".

Who knows. With the awesome new line of "Ultimates" action figures from Super7 apparently being more of a hit than expected, maybe we'll get a NetFlix series or something in the near future, one that's more traditional. I mean, they helped Mattel revive He-Man and the success of the Thundercats line has people talking about Super7 reviving SilverHawks of all things soon as well, in toy form at least, so "respectful" revivals of 80s properties just might be an upcoming trend. We can certainly hope.

One reason I'd like to see a cartoon show set some time past the original is so that we could finally see Lion-O be a badass outside of the WildStorm comic books. He LOOKS so cool and he's got that awesome sword, but in the original series he's a complete f*cking putz who constantly screams for help, and in the reboot he was literally just a kid trying to figure out how to grow into being a leader. I get that's PART of the character's development but I'd love to see him actually "fully-formed" for a change. Another "back to the origin" reboot would just reset him back to being a schmuck, and I think a character with such a cool visual design deserves better. Again, the comics did very well with this without making him totally "perfect", he was still a very flawed character in many ways so it's not like once he "grew up" and became King that everything was suddenly rainbows. His overconfidence and tendency to make questionable decisions, for example, allowed for quite a bit of drama.

I don't know. I really like Thundercats as a concept, but the original show is not as great as people remember and I feel like the characters and ideas STILL have never been utilized to their best potential, outside of maybe one or two comic book mini-series. Hopefully we'll get to see something new (and good) in the near future.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #188
drgon78
Mad Scientist

So glad that hateful piece of garbage ended.

Still like the original series.

Loved the 2011 series, really wish it got at least 3 seasons.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:15 AM   #189
Sumac
Banned

Another bean-faced crap goes down the drain.
Good riddance.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #190
CyberCubed
Overlord

I never saw the 2011 reboot, was it any good?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #191
Leo656
The Franchise

Pretty good. Much better execution than the original but the story and character personalities were all very different from the first series so some fans of the 80s series weren't in love with that part. But people who don't care about the original won't care about that stuff. Most everyone agrees that at the least it's a good action cartoon.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #192
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I never saw the 2011 reboot, was it any good?
Yep, distinctly more sophisticated and edgier than the original, and was cut down in it's prime far too soon
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #193
ABrown
Banned

The 2011 Thundercats was ok. It definitely had potential. Many of the episodes were building up the stories and characters. Unfortunately, we never really got to see what it all was building up to. I'm actually right now about 2/3 of the way through a rewatch of it on Hulu.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #194
Allio
Foot Elite

The 2011 series had a lot of good episodic stories but I honestly felt the overall storyline was boring.