The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
By the time I was 10 I still bought some toys but I had for the most part moved on to video games, Once I had my Nintendo 64 I never asked for toys anymore only video games, I would still get one or two from time to time and still played with all my toys but yeah all my money was for video games and most of my time too.

That's a normal age I think, I'm sure tablets/phones are affecting a lot but the trend started many years ago I think.
True, I really only collected TMNT action figures myself, my brother collected Dragonball Z and Star Wars figures and B:TAS toys, so I had a lot of toys in my house growing up.

Now you see people buy those high-end collector statues at $100-150.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Here are TRU's short term plans:

Spoiler:

I think they're feasible in making the store more profitable. I do think it'll be affecting the plans of a few companies, next years toy fair may end up being a bit disappointed and "safe".
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

amazon is killing stores. People don't even buy videogames at Toys R Us anymore because you can get them all cheaper online.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The hybrid "Babys 'R' Us"/"Toys 'R' Us" stores probably hurt, too. If I was a kid I know I wouldn't want to buy my TMNT figures next to the aisle where moms with screaming babies are picking up diapers. I wouldn't even want to walk in the door.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Which boggles my mind, because I remember when the local mall got its first toystore (Kay-Bee). Prior to that K-Mart, Bradlees, and Woolworths were where we got our toys.

And the kid stuff was largely grouped together.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TRU got a lot of revenue from Babies R Us though, in fact all these closings are because Babies R Us is under-performing while toy sales aren't amazing they're normal but without the high profit margins of baby articles that Amazon and other online stores have taken TRU took a big hit. In general TRU isn't doing that bad, it just needs very high profit margins to be able to operate.

Long story short, TRU was purchased under a big loan, and to be able to make payments they need a certain profits margin or they can't pay the bills.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Which boggles my mind, because I remember when the local mall got its first toystore (Kay-Bee).
Mine too. It was there forever until maybe 10 years ago.

That was the whole reason to go to the mall as a kid. You know, play some games at the arcade (long gone), look at the toys in the toy stores (also long gone), then flip through some magazines and stuff at the book stores (also long gone). You could spend a good 2, 3 hours doing that and not being bored.

Why do kids even go to malls anymore?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Malls are dying and have been dying for a decade. The mall model just doesn't work anymore and that's the reason, it's another lengthy explanation but you can find it if you google it,I linked some shorter "why are malls dying articles though.

That's why many malls are transitioning to be more like outlets to get people to go.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #29
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That sucks for the business. They rely on that stuff. The thing is, people have always hated commercials, but there was no way around them. Now, with the growth of streaming, they're going to have to come up with other ways to adjust.

Parents are probably thrilled, though. I've heard many a tale of peoples parents getting annoyed and snipping about the "glorified toy commercials" we watched. Which... I mean, some old cartoons really were not much more than that.
The years from 1983 to 1996 were great to accompany an animated TV series and comics with action figures. Less government regulation, gave us and what most of us came to like. Heman in 1983, GI Joe and Transformers in 1984 and TMNT between 1987–1996 and many more.

Great things have been done later too, but sadly the number is limited because of reintroduced regulation.

https://www.awn.com/animationworld/d...-optimus-prime

(this journalist seems to see it as a problem, but I don't care)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-24-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #30
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Kids of today outgrow toys fast. I have younger siblings and they're glued to the ipad, phone, or youtube all day.
I see that mentioned a lot by parents online these days, which is why I openly wondered if toys are still big business earlier. They really do have a lot more competition for kids attention these days.

Quote:
By the time I was 10 I still bought some toys but I had for the most part moved on to video games, Once I had my Nintendo 64 I never asked for toys anymore only video games, I would still get one or two from time to time and still played with all my toys but yeah all my money was for video games and most of my time too.
That's how it was for me too. Once video games took hold, that was about it. Though I did hold on a bit past ten, primarily because I really liked Beast Wars, so I still occasionally asked for some Transformers toys.

Quote:
A place to hang out, if they go at all. As spd said, malls as we knew them are dying, as a natural consequence of internet ordering. I've seen it in person; some malls are like ghost towns with only a few open shops at a given time. They don't have enough unique about them to be worth going to, they're overpriced and most malls that go under are outside cities, which is where you're even likelier to just order something on the internet.

Quote:
(this journalist seems to se it as a problem, but I don't care)
Eh, I agree with him. Nostalgia aside, most of those shows weren't very good and had the most obnoxious "buy this as a toy variant in stores soon" stuff. You really have to skim for the best episodes, nowadays. I'm not particularly sorry those days are over, if only for the sake of cartoon quality.

That said, those days brought about a lot of things that shaped my childhood, so I'm not sorry they happened, either.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
A place to hang out, if they go at all. As spd said, malls as we knew them are dying, as a natural consequence of internet ordering. I've seen it in person; some malls are like ghost towns with only a few open shops at a given time. It was inevitable, Amazon or not.
Yeah, if it wasn't Amazon it would just be something else. I don't think it would have taken much longer than Amazon's creation for mankind to discover the "People like to be able to quickly and efficiently order stuff online" secret.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #32
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, if it wasn't Amazon it would just be something else. I don't think it would have taken much longer than Amazon's creation for mankind to discover the "People like to be able to quickly and efficiently order stuff online" secret.
It doesn't help that most US malls I've seen don't have anything interesting going on outside of the requisite movie theater, either. I've seen some thriving malls outside the US, but they've generally got more going on and if they don't, they're at least in cities.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #33
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
That said, those days brought about a lot of things that shaped my childhood, so I'm not sorry they happened, either.
Animated Batman improved quality during the arly-1990's and it was before the current legislation had entered full effect. So that would probably still happen. I'm not a big fan of government regulations for children's TV.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-24-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #34
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Animated Batman improved quality during the arly-1990's and it was before the current legislation had entered full effect. So that would probably still happen.
Maybe. Though the influence wasn't entirely shed back then either. But thankfully we didn't have to deal with an episode at a time showing off some variant armor we'd never see again because it was part of the toy line (and man, do I remember some of the stuff that came with the toys, it would have made the show ridiculous).
Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Chapter 7 is the one where you go out of business. They filed for 11 which is just a restructure. I work at one and the wrestling and TMNT figures aren't THAT expensive. If 10 bucks is too much (which they're near that price range anywhere) don't buy any lol.
I have no idea how it is in USA. In my country, action figures are more expensive at TRU than at other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The closest store to me is closing. I frequent it a number of times, and I've always thought the staff was helpful. But it often feels like lots of empty space... except for December.
Yeah, TRU stores are big and feel quite empty.

Quote:

That's a normal age I think, I'm sure tablets/phones are affecting a lot but the trend started many years ago I think.
I asked for toy up until I was 14 or so. When the 2k3 TMNt cartoon came out, I finally could achieve my childhood dream of having TMNT action figures. Asa teenager I got wrestling action figures and also played with them up until I was 18-19 or so. Ofc I loved video games more.

Quote:
Tbh I'm not a huge online shopping fan. I only use it as a last resource. I prefer going to a store, buying my item and having immediate access to it than having to wait a few days or more for the mailman to arrive with my order... and I might not be at home when he comes and then no one opens the door for him(I live in an apartment block) and I have to go pick up my order at the local post office station and wait sometimes in a long line. Not really fun.

Whenever I shop online it's usually clothes-. As in t-shirts and hoodies. You know why? because it's hard to find metal band t-shirts/hoodies(unless it's like Metallica or Iron Maiden) and video game ones at regular stores, so I gotta go online to get some cool ones. It's like every clothing store I go to only sells clothes for hipsters, metrossexuals and businessmen. It's weird.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This doesn't help the case but... most times I go to the store to buy something (like, a Gamestop for a game, or a Barnes and Noble for a particular book)... I can't find it. So I just go click click and order it from Amazon on my phone.

I feel bad about it but... what are you gonna do?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #37
sdp
Megan Fox = April

We're in a transitional period on how we get our stuff. Amazon launched the first store without registers. I'm guessing it'll be something like that and more to show products, they'll only carry the stuff you need.

Stuff like one day shipping and delivery to the stores will become the norm. We'll see these things as "normal" in during the mid/late 2020s.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #38
newfan
Mad Scientist

As I said earlier, yes toys have taken a hit because of tech etc, but it's not gone, it's just less... and more with older children than young, younger children still play with toys.
There is also a difference between a child wanting and then playing with the toys much when they have them, there has always been the children who play more and those not so much. Some children really get into the video games and electronics and then others just play with them a little.

Last edited by newfan; 01-25-2018 at 12:39 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

I seriously doubt toys will ever stop existing. I also grew up with cellphones, computers, the internet, video games, etc... and still played with toys. Granted there is a major difference between a modern phone and a Nokia 3210 or 3310 that pretty much only had the game snake as a source of entertainment, but back then we didn't know any better. I had a lot of fun listening to the various ringtones my phone came with, for example. And snake was pretty addicting anyway.

Video games and electronic devices offer a very different experience from toys. In a video game your favourite characters have to follow the story or the setting written and developed by the programmers, not to mention they can only perform the moves they've been programmed to. With toys you make your own stories. Total freedom.

So yeah, toys will never stop being popular, I'd say.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Times are changing. We're not in the 80's or 90's anymore, or even the early 2000's.

Most people shop online now, kids play with electronics over toys, people don't go to malls much anymore. We're in "the future" now. It is a different age, 2000's kids grew up in a totally different world than us old people.

I love change. Whenever something old goes away or goes out of business, I feel like I'm "in the future" as I never would have believed it would happen. For example there are barely any pay phones on the streets anymore, unbelieveable.