The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
STORMSHADOW__210
Hench Mutant

Im about 4 hrs in,I got to say this game has some of the best thunderstorm weather effects I have ever seen.Really enjoying it!
STORMSHADOW__210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

I LOVE it. One of the most beautiful and polished looking games i've ever played.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
Chris
Mad Scientist

Really enjoying it so far.

And I have to say, this

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMSHADOW__210 View Post
For adults who watch cartoons and collect toys yall can come across a little uptight.
Just gave me a great laugh
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
animal
Banned

Talking Beat it

Yeah I beat it for my ps3 it was a awesome game I gladly played it I had a super fun time now to wait for me to get riptide
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
STORMSHADOW__210
Hench Mutant

Just beat it....I dont know if it will goty,..but it is worhty...AMAZING GAME!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! masterpiece!!! thank u MRS CROFT!
STORMSHADOW__210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:47 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just started playing this a bit. Not bad. The hunting/survival stuff, of course, seems tamed compared to other games that are out there, but I like the atmosphere. Was going to play through this, then Rise, then Shadow, then... I don't know? I know this second reboot of the Tomb Raider games isn't compatible with the original games, but is it compatible with the first reboot?

i.e., could you go Tomb Raider (2013) => Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) => Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018 ) and then => Tomb Raider: Legend (2006) => Tomb Raider: Anniversary (2007) => Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008 )? Would that basically work, story and character-wise?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:04 AM   #27
The Deadman
Foot Elite

There's a few of these on Game Pass which im gonna give a shot to.

Last Movie Watched: Infested (2023).
Last TV Show Watched: Ghosts US (S1:E10).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:02 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No, there's too many contradictions.
I'm just curious, but what? I'm aware there's some weirdness with her dad (he's one guy in one continuity, another guy in another) but what else?

Quote:
What they've realized is that the Survivor Lara was a financial mistake
I doubt it was much of one if they made two direct sequels to it. Though TR 2013 sold 14.5 units, Rise sold 11.8 units, and Shadow sold 8.9 units... so definitely some slippage there. But it looks like Tomb Raider 1-3 only sold 7-8 million copies originally. The first reboot trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) sold way less... like 3 million each.

Quote:
The more she resembles classic Lara the best, she isn't vulnerable, just badass.
Well, with 2013 and so on, it seems the idea is to break Lara down and rebuild her to be that badass, carefree Tomb Raider she was originally.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:35 PM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But it looks like Tomb Raider 1-3 only sold 7-8 million copies originally.
Different times - different demands.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:49 AM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
I'm just curious, but what? I'm aware there's some weirdness with her dad (he's one guy in one continuity, another guy in another) but what else?
Well the background of her family is very different and her father has a different name in both timelines, the role of her mother is also different. You can't have an easy retcon, you would need some serious "the magic changed it" levels of retcons to make it work.
I'm sure there's other contradictions that might be bigger but didn't play enough of survivor but in general the legends trilogy had a lot of wacky ideas that made it difficult to integrate even to the original timeline which was far more fantastical because I remember trying to do that in the late 2000s and decided just to keep them different.

Quote:
I doubt it was much of one if they made two direct sequels to it. Though TR 2013 sold 14.5 units, Rise sold 11.8 units, and Shadow sold 8.9 units... so definitely some slippage there. But it looks like Tomb Raider 1-3 only sold 7-8 million copies originally. The first reboot trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) sold way less... like 3 million each.
Don't confuse sales numbers with the size of the market, what percentage was that is a more accurate way to see the success of something. Also sales numbers were not too accurate during the 90s, it could've sold more. Sales numbers are also mostly kept hidden thanks to digital downloads so we dont really know the real sales of modern games either.

With that said yeah the Legends trilogy wasn't hugely successful but it did decent enough counting the competition it faced during the PS2 era. But yeah there's a reason we got a reboot and not a fourth Legends game. The original reboot sold a lot eventually but how much did it cost to make? I think after the reboot shock of the first game with interesting game play, more mature style etc wore off the TR brand just didn't have the staying power it did and each sequel seemed to interest players less, the cost of another game would be too much, there's a reason we didn't get Survivor game #4 and that Square Enix sold the IP to Amazon.

It's not just about making a profit, it's the ROI that matters, if the ROI is low compared to the risk and work put in, it is not a worthwhile investment even if it still made "millions" it was a bad use of a companies money. That's what chairman analysts on the internet who have never had a real business job will understand. I mean I don't know the numbers but companies do and they make those decisions based on those, can companies make mistakes? Sure but it's rarer than you might think.

Quote:
Well, with 2013 and so on, it seems the idea is to break Lara down and rebuild her to be that badass, carefree Tomb Raider she was originally.
3 games in and they never got to that and it didn't really seem like she could become classic Lara or even Legends Lara, and fans of the survivor lara do not like classic lara. It was never going to happen. You might defer but I think the general consesus and I agree is that she would never become classic Lara, because she just never felt like her.

Doesn't matter now really, we're getting another reboot. I'm hoping for the best but I'm sure I'll be disappointed as I'd only like Classic Lara back and any survivor elements will not do that. I haven't been a huge fan of the pseudo-classic Lara they've been playing with for the last few years, yeah she's better than survivor Lara but like Legends Lara she still doesn't seem like the badass that I remember. But that's just me. I'm sure giving her the classic outfit and the bow from survivor will get the internet to get excited as hell. At least they don't seem to be afraid to give her big boobs again.

Quote:
i.e., could you go Tomb Raider (2013) => Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) => Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018 ) and then => Tomb Raider: Legend (2006) => Tomb Raider: Anniversary (2007) => Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008 )? Would that basically work, story and character-wise?
No, there's too many contradictions. Now that Amazon owns tomb raider they're going to apparently "unify" the timelines, but they all contradict I think people are just misreading the quote, the most likely scenario is that the new reboot is going to incorporate stuff from "all timelines".

What they've realized is that the Survivor Lara was a financial mistake, and they're going back to the original Lara Croft which is the best decision they could've made. We're getting some remasters of the original games in like a month. I think the new reboot will be mostly like old lara but it'll have some elements found in the ugh horrible survival timeline like having a crossbow . The Legend timeline is basically just original lara but less interesting so I think from that timeline they'll only get some characters and perhaps story ideas from there, but that lara was just an evolution of classic Lara.
The more she resembles classic Lara the best, she isn't vulnerable, just badass.

Last edited by sdp; 02-28-2024 at 10:11 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:51 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I do know that I read that nowhere in TR 2013, Rise, or Shadow does Lara ever get her dual pistols... so that's bullsh**. I get the not at first thing, or "she has to earn them"... but they're pretty iconic to her.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:25 PM   #32
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

She technically uses dual pistols for like a few seconds in TR 2013, I believe.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:43 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If they don't like her with them, all they have to do is save them for midway into a game, then make the ammo not unlimited but rather scarce.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:00 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Threw a few more hours into this game. Gotta say. This game kicks ass! There's so many little elements cherry picked from stuff like Red Dead and Last of Us, while still affording tomb exploration and whatnot... this is super entertaining. I wish I'd have played this years ago.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:31 PM   #35
The Deadman
Foot Elite

This is on PSPlus. I recently beat the 2 that came after so Ill have to give this one a go too.

Last Movie Watched: Infested (2023).
Last TV Show Watched: Ghosts US (S1:E10).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote