The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

*Spoiler Alert*

And for those of you who may think we're fibbing when we say the Old Hob micro picks up directly in issue #23, well, check out this little tease from TMNT #23 (in stores next week!). It's a wee bit of a spoiler, so don't look at the pic if you don't wanna know...

Talk soon!

Tom W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TMNT_OLDHOB_23.jpg (78.1 KB, 68 views)
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my review of TMNT Villains Microseries #3: Old Hob at TMNT Entity.

This one was a bit of a dud for me, I hate to say. I was never really taken with Hob during the ongoing, and while this microseries takes measures to pep him up, it didn't really succeed in changing my mind.

The issue essentially takes all his appearances in the ongoing and sews them together, answering any lingering questions that may have been left over. While that's much appreciated, it was a lot of answers but not a lot of *story* (or, rather, story we hadn't read before, at least from one POV).

I was mostly taken with the 4 page flashback to his pre-mutation days. But I'm a sucker for animals, so everyone else's mileage may vary.

Wachter's art was great, though. If the credits are complete, then he did the whole shabang by himself and he's quite good at the full gamut of pencils, inks and colors. That retailer incentive cover was an especially great piece of art (kinda wish it hadn't been the hard-to-get, expensive cover).

So while this one didn't win me over, I WILL say that I'm curious as to what Hob and Slash have cooking. So even if Hob's character isn't impressing me, I'm definitely excited about the possibilities of his story arc.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Old Hob and Slash are cooking up the Mutanimals. Just watch when Leatherhead is introduced, he'll probably join up with them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
boywonder26
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Old Hob and Slash are cooking up the Mutanimals. Just watch when Leatherhead is introduced, he'll probably join up with them.
I hope so,this would be sweet!
boywonder26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Ah, but why is Hob referred to as "Old?" He seems about middle-age to me!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I feel like I've just been a negative nelly on these micros as of late, but:

Does Old Hob really need a sympathetic backstory? Does he even need a backstory at all?

I guess I'd just be enjoying these a lot more if they were just one-off character-building stories that featured these villains, a la the four Turtles' micros. Krang's was interesting, Baxter's was all right, but this just feels a little disingenuous.

Judgement reserved until I read the actual issue, of course. Hob is also a really fun character, so there's that.
I kind of have the same feeling, especially when it came to Baxter Stockman's Micro which was just so-so. I wouldn't say it's disingenuous, though. Maybe a little lazy. As if the only way to make a character and interesting is to show his "interesting" back-story! Why not just make him interesting now instead of waiting for the back-story?

Having said that, I actually still enjoyed this Micro, but maybe that's because this attempt to make Old Hob interesting doesn't have much to compete with since there really hasn't been any made at all up to this point.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Oh man, that looks great! As a cat owner, I don't think my heart can take that intro
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

i enjoyed this book. it added some back story and tied up some loose ends. sure it wasnt a knock out issue like #22, but it's not suppose to be. this issue had a support roll and i thought it did that rather well
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Crabfight
Thug

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. Old Hob has the potential to be a pretty cool character, and I'm really interested to see what this plan of his that will terrify the city is. Right now he's an army of two, which makes him seem like the underdog. On top of that, while this issue does show him to be a bit more competent than he's otherwise been portrayed, I'm still not convinced that he has the intellect to be much of a threat. We'll see though!

Two other things:
1) Anyone else getting a George and Lenny vibe from Hob and Slash? I really hope the writers delve deeper into this relationship and allow Hob and Slash to really care for each other.

2) Anyone else love the way these turtles were drawn?! I'd be totally okay with this guy coming back to draw another issue. (Sorry, I don't have the issue in front of me, and I can't remember who did the art in this one...)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #30
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I actually didn't care for this issue.... They made old Hob a sympathy character and there just wasn't much action.....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
Red Mask
Random Punk

This look at Hob may be more informative than poignant-- but the way he went about things (playing dumb, etc) sort of defines his "street smart" approach in an appealing way, and presents him as more of a threat than a screw-up (as he kind of seemed before now). That aspect plus the ending has built up my anticipation.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #32
Crabfight
Thug

I am starting to wonder if Hob is trying to put together some sort of Mutanimals type team. If so, who might his sights be on? Alopex? The rumored Bebop & Rocksteady? Maybe there'll be a second turtle betrayal other than Leo? Hob's methods might seem a bit more appealing to Raph's impatient side...
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
LH
Leatherhead

Leatherhead may even empathize with Hob's backstory should they go with the "flushed pet" origin...
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Breckel View Post
Oh man, that looks great! As a cat owner, I don't think my heart can take that intro
You definitely shouldn't read the origin of the Red Lantern Dex-Starr, then.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
Mr_riddler
Random Punk

For a moment old hob reminds me to Nick Fury, a eye patch a jacket and a cigarette.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_riddler View Post
For a moment old hob reminds me to Nick Fury, a eye patch a jacket and a cigarette.
Heh, I knew something seemed oddly familiar about that page!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Breckel View Post
I agree the intro was a little disturbing
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
And for those of you who may think we're fibbing when we say the Old Hob micro picks up directly in issue #23, well, check out this little tease from TMNT #23 (in stores next week!). It's a wee bit of a spoiler, so don't look at the pic if you don't wanna know...

Talk soon!

Tom W.
Is Hob smoking a cigar?

Does nobody else see that he is clearly an homage to both Jagwar AND Verminator X?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #39
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***The One True Shredder*** View Post
Is Hob smoking a cigar?

Does nobody else see that he is clearly an homage to both Jagwar AND Verminator X?
I go further: If they ever introduce a future turtles/future shark kinda storyline, it would make a lot more sense to turn Old Hob into Verminator X, instead of introducing Manx. In case they introduce Baxter's (or Cyborg Donnie's) "biometal" stuff somehow, there's a pretty obvious way how it could happen.

About the issue it was nice, but the first part with the new info was definitely more interesting than the last pages, yet it was nice to watch a recap of Hob's affairs with Stockgen and the turtles, but drawn by a different artist in a different style. I hope he (sorry, can't recall his name) will draw more TMNT in the future.

One thing tho, I don't exactly understand is
Spoiler:
how exactly exactly Hob survived the gun shot. I mean, does he put the testtubes under his t-shirt, because he definitely knew that Baxter will shot him in the upper body? Or was it luck?
Another thing: Did the tube with Splinter's blood broke? Cuz Hob had it unbroken at the first time he met with Slash.

Last edited by Tazi; 06-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Old Hob becoming Verminator X has been speculated for some time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion, mini-series, old hob, tom waltz