The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #21
Slade
god status

An early season at that. I wouldn't mind trying to hunt one of those down myself. I tried to get into the Season 11 comic. I have the first volume, but never finished reading it.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I remember seeing the first few seasons and enjoying it quite a bit. Lost track of a lot of stuff after season 5. Braniac was neat. I really this type of Lex Luthor. Much more than Eisen-Luthor. Also think Tom Welling is a better Superman than Routh or Cavill... without actually being Superman. huh wierd
Old 04-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #23
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior

As a Superman fan I watched this show during it's entire run..ten years of my life given to the show so I have an attachment to it. I loved the earlier seasons, mainly 1-4, but there were some good parts to the later seasons. I think the "Justice" episode in season 5 was good. I must say my biggest pet peeve was the constant pining and moping around over Lana. The finale also left a lot to be desired in my opinion..seeing Rosenbaum return as Lex was the best part for me, but other than that it felt rushed, especially the end with the minute or so of him in the cgi suit.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #24
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post

That's Arrow's fault and their fault alone. Smallville did it once, its an oddity. Arrow chose to follow suit. That's on them.
You mean you don't find it the least bit coincidental that instead of going with the actual canon, they both do the exact opposite?

And why should Smallville get a pass on that?? It's just as guilty as Arrow.

Quote:
Trust me, I know where you're coming from, but David Bloom was one of the best unique additions to the Smallville lore. The resolution of his arc was handled awfully, but his inclusion was great. A lot of that has to be credited to Sam Witwer, though. The dude has chops.

Meh. Whether he had the chops or not, it still feels like they butchered Doomsday, as well as other characters IMO.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 04-28-2016 at 07:20 AM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
You mean you don't find it the least bit coincidental that instead of going with the actual canon, they both do the exact opposite? And why should Smallville get a pass on that?? It's just as guilty as Arrow.
Smallville gets a pass because it's primarily not a Green Arrow story, its a Superman story. If anything, keeping Oliver on the main cast for as long as they did gave Green Arrow a lot more recognition to the general public than he ever had up to that point. What Arrow did is essentially the same as if Smallville had killed off Lois and Clark ended up with Chloe. One is far more guilty than the other. And honestly, I doubt the producers even looked at Smallville for guidance. They looked to Tumblr and only Tumblr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Meh. Whether he had the chops or not, it still feels like they butchered Doomsday, as well as other characters IMO.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I get ya; it's a far cry from the comic. But I actually really like the story of finding out your just a walking, thinking camouflage for a monster thats beginning to wake up. Seriously, think about that. Everyone you loved, everything you've ever thought, you find out its all just a defence mechanism and you'll soon cease to exist, because you were never real in the first place. And all that will remain is a rampaging killing machine. Pretty scary sh*t if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
I must say my biggest pet peeve was the constant pining and moping around over Lana.
Whaaaaat? You mean you didn't like the 7 years "will they/won't they" even though you know they're destined not to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
I tried to get into the Season 11 comic. I have the first volume, but never finished reading it.
Apparently its a very good Superman comic, but feels very light on what made Smallville, Smallville. And I get that that's kind of the point, but still... Plus it was around this time that Arrow came out and had them pull Green Arrow from the book. I'll read it eventually, but for now, these novels are wonderful. For instance, I just learned that Clark is a massive Bob Marley fan. Who knew, right?!
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Whaaaaat? You mean you didn't like the 7 years "will they/won't they" even though you know they're destined not to?
It got a bit aggravating, to be honest.

This thread got me to thinking about the cameos/guest stars that we had in Smallville. Off the top of my head I can remember:

-Christopher Reeve
-Margot Kidder
-Marc McClure
-Dean Cain
-Teri Hatcher
-Helen Slater
-Carrie Fisher
-Tori Spelling
-Tom Wopat
-Charisma Carpenter
-Jane Seymour
-Amy Adams
-Lynda Carter
-Brian Austin Green
-James Marsters
-Jensen Ackles
-Pam Grier
-Michael McKean
-Michael Ironside

Last edited by JetsAndHeels; 04-28-2016 at 12:11 PM.
JetsAndHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #27
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Charisma Carpenter was on Smallville?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #28
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Charisma Carpenter was on Smallville?
You know what, I was thinking about Supernatural. She was in an episode with James Marsters, who was on Smallville. My bad.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #29
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Haha yeah I thought thats what you might have been thinking.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #30
JetsAndHeels
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Haha yeah I thought thats what you might have been thinking.
Thanks for understanding.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #31
Slade
god status

I need to contribute to this thread a little better, I'll read through better later. But...

Bob Marley huh?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #32
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Yeah man! In the book, an invisible girl infatuated with Clark snoops around his room to find out what his interests are. He has a Bob Marley CD collection and in his CD Player was Bob Marley's Greatest Hits. The next day she sits near Clark at the Smallville Beanery(I guess this was pre-Talon) and sings "One Love" to catch his attention. He totally marks out over it Great stuff.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
In the book, an invisible girl infatuated with Clark snoops around his room to find out what his interests are. He has a Bob Marley CD collection and in his CD Player was Bob Marley's Greatest Hits. The next day she sits near Clark at the Smallville Beanery(I guess this was pre-Talon) and sings "One Love" to catch his attention. He totally marks out over it Great stuff.
Kinda sounds like that episode from season 1 where Lex's maid's daughter had a crush on him and her brother used some invisibility cream to mess with him.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #34
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Kinda sounds like that episode from season 1 where Lex's maid's daughter had a crush on him and her brother used some invisibility cream to mess with him.
According to Smallville Issue 10, "See No Evil" (the novel I'm reading) was eventually turned into Shimmer, the episode you're referring to. Nice catch.

I don't see why they didn't shoot this one, though. Shimmer is a pretty forgettable episode while See No Evil has a bunch of nice moments like Clark performing in a stage play and Lex teaching Clark how to fence. Plus the whole book is indicative of this is where Clark learns how to put on an act. Kind of strange how it morphed into a pretty generic Lex stalker episode.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #35
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

So... I wasn't sure whether to post this question in the Arrow thread or this one, but since its mostly a Smallville question, I'll ask here.

After watching Arrow dissolve into a Felicity Ass Kissing showcase, I'm hearing a lot of similar complaints that Smallville had in regards to Lana Lang.

Back in the day over at the ole Kryptonsite Forums, I remember reading post after post about how Lana has consumed the show and the show has become Lana centric, with Clark becoming an afterthought. I never really thought so, though. But here's the thing: I've always liked Lana Lang. I don't like Felicity Smoak. So, was I just blind to it the whole time? Yeah, the back and forth Clark Lana relationship went on for wayyy too long but I never felt like Lana was the main character as Felicity comes off as on Arrow.

So, I guess my question is, was Smallville just as guilty to pandering to it's shipper audience as Arrow is, or has Arrow gone beyond reason?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:47 AM   #36
Turo602
The King of Kings

Damn, I miss this show. I rewatched it a little over a year ago and it actually held up a lot better than I thought it would after having seen Arrow and Flash. Welling was an amazing young Clark Kent and Erica Durance was perfect as Lois (not to mention extremely hot). Lionel was a great character and Michael Rosenbaum is by far the best live action Lex Luthor.

The show could have been a little cheesy at times and yeah, Lana was an awful and annoying character but the show actually had lots of great stories and plenty of stand out episodes like Rosetta, Memoria, Reckoning, Legion, Pandora, and Homecoming, just to name a few. As much as I enjoyed the early stuff, I never understood what was so bad about the later stuff. I actually really liked how the show started exploring more familiar Superman material. Sure, it was very unfaithful to the source material but it's a damn TV show. It's either that or more made up crap like season 4.

Last edited by Turo602; 06-02-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #37
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Welling was an amazing young Clark Kent and Eric Durance was perfect as Lois (not to mention extremely hot). Lionel was a great character and Michael Rosenbaum is by far the best live action Lex Luthor.
Welling is one of those actors that I think plays this version of the character perfectly. I'm not sure if I could see him actually pull off Superman though. Guess we'll never know

Erica was amazing. It's funny how the fanbase were so crazy against her at first since a) they didn't want Lois in Smallville at all in the first place and b) the popular fan theory was that Chloe would turn out being Lois Lane all along.

The Luthors were the best part of Smallville. (Well, maybe not Lutessa or the clone of Julian, but, y'know )

Quote:
The show could have been a little cheesy at times and yeah, Lana was an awful and annoying character but the show actually had lots of great stories and plenty of stand out episodes like Rosetta, Memoria, Reckoning, Legion, Pandora, and Homecoming, just to name a few.
I already posted my defence of Lana in another thread but I also completely understand everyones annoyance with her.

Nice list of episodes! Memoria and Homecoming are tied as my favourites, though maybe Homecoming gets the win if only because since Lex's mind-wipe makes the bulk of Memoria's storytelling completely pointless.

Quote:
As much as I enjoyed the early stuff, I never understood what was so bad about the later stuff. I actually really liked how the show started exploring more familiar Superman material. Sure, it was very unfaithful to source material but it's a damn TV show.
I don't think people thought the later stuff was bad, but it was a pretty drastic change of tone for the series. They seemed to be very shy about embracing the more "out there" concepts from the comics in the earlier seasons to suddenly outright embracing them.

For example, in Season 4, Mxyzptlk went from looking like this...
to this...

Whereas in the later seasons, "out there" characters like Hawkman didn't go through nearly as much of a make over:
And that's just the visuals. Mxyzptlk went from being a 5th Dimensional Imp with seemingly limitless power to a foreign exchange student poor man's Kilgrave. And yeah, while there's a lot to celebrate and enjoy about them embracing the comic goodness, it does end up losing a bit of its identity by doing so.

Quote:
It's either that or more made up crap like season 4.
Aw, poor Season 4 It's funny. I remember how much people hated on it (myself included) as it was airing but in retrospect I find it's one of the more enjoyable seasons because its so freaking strange. It's like they couldn't go more than 1 episode without some kind of possession/body swap/personality change episode. Off the top of my head, there's Lana switching with Isabella throughout the season, Lionel pretending to play a changed man, Lex/Alex in Onyx, Lois and Chloe being witches in Spell, Clark having amnesia in Blank, Lionel and Clark switching bodies in Transference, the Prom Queen possessing Lana/Chloe/Clark in Spirit, Clark being brainwashed Kal-El in Crusade, Lana/Chloe/Jason under a love potion in Devoted, Red K Clark in Unsafe... there's probably more but that's just off the top of my head. So yeah, it's a great re-watch season thats gotten better with age but when you watch it immediately following the dark drama that was Season 3 its a huge tonal whiplash.

Last edited by Krutch; 06-02-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
I gotta admit I kinda liked how he looked but it really ticks me off they never bothered to reveal him as a dimension hopper or something down the road. He would've fit perfectly in season 10 with the Earth 2 storyarc.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #39
Slade
god status

Quote:
So... I wasn't sure whether to post this question in the Arrow thread or this one, but since its mostly a Smallville question, I'll ask here.

After watching Arrow dissolve into a Felicity Ass Kissing showcase, I'm hearing a lot of similar complaints that Smallville had in regards to Lana Lang.

Back in the day over at the ole Kryptonsite Forums, I remember reading post after post about how Lana has consumed the show and the show has become Lana centric, with Clark becoming an afterthought. I never really thought so, though. But here's the thing: I've always liked Lana Lang. I don't like Felicity Smoak. So, was I just blind to it the whole time? Yeah, the back and forth Clark Lana relationship went on for wayyy too long but I never felt like Lana was the main character as Felicity comes off as on Arrow.

So, I guess my question is, was Smallville just as guilty to pandering to it's shipper audience as Arrow is, or has Arrow gone beyond reason?

Nice, I'm still a member over there.

Anyway, when the show aired, I never saw it either. I liked Lana too though, but after a few rewatches, I actually do see it. It was never as bad as Felicity and Friends has gotten, but there are a good bit of moments it does seem that way.

The same exact thing can be said about Chloe too, who I HATE!! Though I guess thinking about it, in a way, everyone on Smallville was a main character and they all got decent development in my opinion. That's not to say in regards to Lana and Chloe, that their stories didn't take drastic and down right ridiculous turns into left field.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #40
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I gotta admit I kinda liked how he looked but it really ticks me off they never bothered to reveal him as a dimension hopper or something down the road. He would've fit perfectly in season 10 with the Earth 2 storyarc.
Season 10 was pretty much anything goes, so, yeah that would've worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
The same exact thing can be said about Chloe too, who I HATE!! Though I guess thinking about it, in a way, everyone on Smallville was a main character and they all got decent development in my opinion. That's not to say in regards to Lana and Chloe, that their stories didn't take drastic and down right ridiculous turns into left field.
I actually really like Chloe. The issue was the show never gave Clark the role of being the investigative reporter; that was always relegated to Chloe. And when Chloe finally stepped away from being a journalist to become Watchtower, Lois just took over the role. That would have been a great time for Clark to learn how to track down leads, work angles, yknow... investigate.

Still, even when Lana and Chloe were getting a good amount of attention, I can't remember a single time either of them saved the day in the end. (Unless you count finding Clark KO'd and they toss away the piece of Kryptonite laying around.) Clark was always the hero who conquered the villain. On Arrow, Felicity has pretty much saved Oliver and the planet ten times over.

So, what do you have against Chloe, anyways?