The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #21
AquaParade
Banned

Okay, so I heard Kevin Smith hinting about what this project could be, over the last couple months, on one of his talk-shows. I didn't want to say anything prematurely, which turned out to be a good thing, because I almost thought he was working on something for TMNT.

He kept saying it was a nostalgic property, not Marvel or DC, etc...Basically, it sounded like it could be a TMNT project. Honestly, even though He-Man is quite different from turtles, I feel like I wasn't far off with my guess, in a way.

Sounds crazy, but so did Kevin Smith working on He-Man and now we have it. Apparently it's inspired by the old He-Man promo and toy artwork. I could have almost imagined some Nick exec's trying to get the "new", lighthearted Kevin Smith to somewhat sterilize his stoner-humor and produce an 80's throwback to TMNT for netflix, based on the whacky, psychedelic artwork we saw on the original Playmates figures.

And I really feel like if you can't dive deep enough into the grit and danger that a "serious" version of TMNT requires, then you really should flip the switch and go 100% into the zany, whacky, colorful, psychedelic, potentially trippy side of TMNT. Like, I respect what 2k3 tried to do, but to me, it was caught in limbo. When you want to be serious, but you can't reflect on the the true consequences of violence, you're fighting a serious uphill battle. Best to go with the current in that case.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #22
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

All the usual whiny people on the internet are whining and crying woke just because Teela is the one who has to find the missing power sword. Its hilarious watching these people get their panties in a bunch.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #23
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
https://i.imgur.com/kwIoCH4.jpg

All the usual whiny people on the internet are whining and crying woke just because Teela is the one who has to find the missing power sword. Its hilarious watching these people get their panties in a bunch.
This is how masculinity dies...with thunderous laughter

Don't have a problem with Teela being the lead (hopefully Adam accompanies her on the quest and they connect more), but I do find it interesting why cucks always have to post how "amused" they are that people are expressing legit concern over more pro-female lead propaganda in their shows..like it gives them power or superiority over them. Not big, not clever. Women aren't even attracted to these kind of ass kissers, they're considered walkovers.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 08-19-2019 at 02:33 PM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
Vegita-San
Emperor

Autbot really needs to pick a side. he can't keep straddling the fence and expect to walk out with a pair.

As for this show, it REALLY sounds like it's going to be a teela journey, with minimal he-man.

Either that, or He-Man will be STUCK He-Man until the power sword is found.
I can't imagine it being all adam all the time.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I can't imagine it being all adam all the time.
I can, it's a common criticism of the original show that Adam was more of a wallflower, quick witted, but lacking in courage as part of the facade, but on occasion (like in "The Game Master"), Adam had to step up when he didn't have the sword and Teela admits at the end that some of Adam's qualities are what she looks for in a man, I'd like to see more of what Adam's capable of around Teela without the sword.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #26
Vegita-San
Emperor

Very true.

it would be nice to see more of that, especially if she's let in on the secret.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #27
TommyT
Banned

Letting Teela in on the secret is a mistake, unless she does become the Sorceress.

Anyone know if they ever resolved the green snake Teela and the one from Filmation?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #28
sdp
-

So this Netflix reboot is actualllya sequel to the original show? It's not in continuity with the She-Ra Netflix show?

I don't understand that reasoning, is it planned to be aimed at 40 year olds? Is the concept of He-Man even able to be interesting for kids?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #29
TommyT
Banned

Considering the massive fan response, a continuation was exactly the right move.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #30
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't understand that reasoning, is it planned to be aimed at 40 year olds?
Well for the fact its taking place after the original cartoon ended and then announced at Powercon the biggest He-Man convention should answer your question.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 08-19-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #31
TommyT
Banned

I mean, I’m skeptical as hell, but, hell, why not make it for 40 year olds? I mean, is there any point in trying to get kids hyped? We’ll spend 10x the amont our parents did, on toys for us. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 AM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Letting Teela in on the secret is a mistake
How the hell is character advancement a mistake?
Old 08-20-2019, 02:36 AM   #33
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Is the concept of He-Man even able to be interesting for kids?
I'm skeptical, but if they can make the right changes then maybe. I hope that it can work because usually they would just completely reboot and reimagine every aspect which can result in an unappealing monstrosity that barely resembles the original source -- kinda like Rise of the TMNT

It's refreshing to see them just say they are going to continue the original. That way they have a built-in fanbase but can still make alterations to make the show more appetizing for a modern audience.

They showed off a new line of toys priced at 14.99 a figure (with much better articulation and detailing than the original MotU figures) and at that price point they are trying to target kids. Sooo... we'll see what happens.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #34
sdp
-

I think He-Man is just too of its time to be able to grab new kids, a new show continuing off the old one is definitely not the way to go either, the 2002 show seemed to know what to do but it didn't work. And no, going for 40 year olds is not going to be a good strategy even if they have a lot of income, it takes more than just a dedicated niche fandom.

The original show is just so dated, why would they want to continue that, the tone of the new show would just clash with the original unless it's only a sequel in the sense of "similar events happened but in a cooler fashion". A shame that they're both Netflix series and He-Ra won't be in continuity with this one. I'm not too invested in He-Man didn't grow up on it, have always been mildly curious about it.

Wasn't the space Adventures of He-Man also a direct sequel?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:30 AM   #35
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
I think He-Man is just too of its time to be able to grab new kids, a new show continuing off the old one is definitely not the way to go either, the 2002 show seemed to know what to do but it didn't work. And no, going for 40 year olds is not going to be a good strategy even if they have a lot of income, it takes more than just a dedicated niche fandom.

The original show is just so dated, why would they want to continue that, the tone of the new show would just clash with the original unless it's only a sequel in the sense of "similar events happened but in a cooler fashion". A shame that they're both Netflix series and He-Ra won't be in continuity with this one. I'm not too invested in He-Man didn't grow up on it, have always been mildly curious about it.

I mean, that’s a fascinating opinion, but you’re clearly not the target demo. The response has been ridiculous. Nobody wondered why they brought back Star Wars, which is definitely of it’s time as well.

And right now, the 4 year old boys who were being ignored by their working moms in the 80’s are 40 year old men who are being ignored and put down by women all over again. Just like when they were helpless little boys, they want to scream

“i have the power”.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:05 AM   #36
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
The original show is just so dated
The original show had a lot of genuinely well written episodes. Paul Dini, JMS, Bob Forward, it had a lot of notable names working on it.
Quote:
why would they want to continue that
Because it has a fascinating lore that can be exploited.

Quote:
It was, and to date is the only He-Man series to have a conclusion (though a second season was planned)

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 08-21-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #37
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I mean, that’s a fascinating opinion, but you’re clearly not the target demo. The response has been ridiculous. Nobody wondered why they brought back Star Wars, which is definitely of it’s time as well.

And right now, the 4 year old boys who were being ignored by their working moms in the 80’s are 40 year old men who are being ignored and put down by women all over again. Just like when they were helpless little boys, they want to scream

“i have the power”.
Pretty sure if a man yells out 'I have the power' nowadays he'll be surrounded by people yelling patriarchy, check your privilege, or just women in general saying 'no you don't'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #38
TommyT
Banned

Yeah, exactly why I think this show could find an audience in the over 40 crowd.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Don't have a problem with Teela being the lead (hopefully Adam accompanies her on the quest and they connect more), but I do find it interesting why cucks always have to post how "amused" they are that people are expressing legit concern over more pro-female lead propaganda in their shows..like it gives them power or superiority over them.
I tend to ignore it, but yeah, that's a thing. "You guys are losing your minds! LOLZ!!!"/"who's the snowflake now??" etc..

Eh, no.

Say, does this mean the "real" She-Ra could show up on the show?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #40
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Pretty sure if a man yells out 'I have the power' nowadays he'll be surrounded by people yelling patriarchy, check your privilege, or just women in general saying 'no you don't'.
yep. People these days can smell an agenda a mile a way...or are at least attuned to the possability of it.

considering Teela was never a main character before... in that sense like Man At Arms, or He-Man where...the wording in there is a bit troubling.

But, like Zarius said, it could also mean that this will help expand adam's character more, so long as they actually care about story and don't go the she-na route.