The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #2161
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
What is your preferred story length as an editor and also as a comic fan?
I don't have one in either case. Just depends what is needed for the story!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #2162
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
And thanks. Don't forget FCBD and that TMNT #75 is double sized! Haven't pulled it all off yet. Honestly, I would have had us do a lot less this year, feels like too much, but perhaps i'm biased. I'll just say that this year has not been pleasant in terms of work load. :howell: Anyway, the reason for the extra material is an odd mix of notable opportunities and milestones combined with business needs. 2018 should (I hope!) be much more low key, so don't get too spoiled with the amount of TMNT comics.
Man, really sorry to hear that. I've worked in 3 very different industries (never comics, obviously), and the one constant negative I've found is management's lack of attention to employee burnout. Never ends up paying in the long run.

Hope stuff chills out for you soon. Sorry for financially supporting your gnarly workload lol.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #2163
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Haha all good. Hard to complain about working on TMNT, i'm lucky. Thanks though.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #2164
Vegita-San
Emperor

RE: too much content.

sadly this is a problem that I don't see going away.

I've been checking new things out less.

1)too expensive to be picking up so many monthly things.

2)reboot fatigue as mentioned. you can only tell the same stories over again so many times, which is one reason why IDW TMNT has held up nicely.

And 3)cancellation fever. you don't want to start a title only to see that it doesn't have staying power. all this makes finding something new you like a little tougher.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #2165
ChosenOne
Banned

Bobby, will issues 18-20 of Universe also tie into the "Invasion of the Triceratons" arc or will we see something different?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #2166
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Bobby, will issues 18-20 of Universe also tie into the "Invasion of the Triceratons" arc or will we see something different?
Currently planning #18 and it looks like that will, yes.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #2167
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Currently planning #18 and it looks like that will, yes.
Thanks! I was looking at a chart I've made (because of course I did) of all the issues and minis and whatnot, with each month's releases up until #100 side by side, and I started wondering about that. Safe to say this will be a far-reaching event with plenty of ramifications...

And then when the invasion is over, we'll still be 20 issues of the main ongoing away from the "big finale", there's still so much that could happen in that time!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #2168
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Do you consider the numbering when planning things out? Like issue #100 being the final part of an arc such as part 5 of 5. Or could it be the start of something such as 1 of 5. Or could it even be in the middle such as part 3 of 5. Or is it business as usual and the numbering is not considered?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #2169
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

We're planning on #100 being akin to #50 in terms of size and culminating some plot lines while opening up new ones.

Other than that, not really. TMNT #75 wasn't going to be the end of that storyline (much as #25 wasn't the end of City Fall), but then we made #75 double sized, which conveniently ends the arc.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #2170
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Thank you for the quick response and the clear answer. I love knowing some about the process and how the creative decisions get made.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #2171
ChosenOne
Banned

So with Dimension X having concluded today, I vaguely recall some talk months ago about IDW Cudley the Cowlick popping up eventually, if I'm not mistaken. He's traditionally associated with Stump Asteroid, so #3 would have been the perfect place for a cameo or even something a bit more substantial. Was that ever in the cards? Or was it decided against? Is there still a chance we might see him in the future? (As the means of transportation to the Battle Nexus, oh please, please, please! )

Also, when was it decided to center such an arc around Krang's trial? I can see how the notion of using it as a gateway to all things cosmic (ie, the Triceratons) might've seeded itself and grew, but was it before or after #50 with the Shredder's demise and the focus shifting onto the Pantheon?

As usual, thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #2172
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I see so many people give up because they can't get their first, or second project greenlit. When the reality is: almost everyone who is a professional in the industry is around for a good 5-10 years, honing their craft, making and completing new projects, day in and out, before anything substantial comes of it.

Make it for yourself, make it the best it can possibly be. Then share it around and prepare to be heart broke. Then do the entire process again, learning from your mistakes. And again. And again. The only people who should do this are people who HAVE to do it, for themselves, first and foremost. They're the only people who will have the determination to get where they want to go.

All that being said, good luck!

oh i'm used to heart break i'm the guy who does tv and intro recreations that barely get 200 hits in 10 years , while some other guy who copied me has his work go viral over night. go figure .

I'm basically spending my own money, $100 a page for at least 24 pages, to slowly, get a complete issue done. If I have to, i'll do a limited publication myself to see what people other than friends and family think. i might be able to afford one or two more issues. it's not so much money, as the time my wonderful artist has to work on a freelance project.

but the art is well worth the wait. I have a full 'season' of 24 issues planned out if it ever got lucky enough to b e picked up. with 4 other, less evolved ideas also waiting to b e tried.

all a matter of hoping one hits.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #2173
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
So with Dimension X having concluded today, I vaguely recall some talk months ago about IDW Cudley the Cowlick popping up eventually, if I'm not mistaken. He's traditionally associated with Stump Asteroid, so #3 would have been the perfect place for a cameo or even something a bit more substantial. Was that ever in the cards? Or was it decided against? Is there still a chance we might see him in the future? (As the means of transportation to the Battle Nexus, oh please, please, please! )

Also, when was it decided to center such an arc around Krang's trial? I can see how the notion of using it as a gateway to all things cosmic (ie, the Triceratons) might've seeded itself and grew, but was it before or after #50 with the Shredder's demise and the focus shifting onto the Pantheon?

As usual, thanks in advance!
Can't really discuss plans for Cudley, sorry!

I can't recall when we started planning this arc. A few years at least, probably around Attack on Technodrome.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #2174
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
oh i'm used to heart break i'm the guy who does tv and intro recreations that barely get 200 hits in 10 years , while some other guy who copied me has his work go viral over night. go figure .

I'm basically spending my own money, $100 a page for at least 24 pages, to slowly, get a complete issue done. If I have to, i'll do a limited publication myself to see what people other than friends and family think. i might be able to afford one or two more issues. it's not so much money, as the time my wonderful artist has to work on a freelance project.

but the art is well worth the wait. I have a full 'season' of 24 issues planned out if it ever got lucky enough to b e picked up. with 4 other, less evolved ideas also waiting to b e tried.

all a matter of hoping one hits.
That's the thing to do!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #2175
Ninjinister
無問題

So if Hakk-R's data said that the Occuli were the fifth witness... and pretty much nobody knew that "Polly" would be the one that was to accompany them back....

Why is Polly shown on the list of witnesses in #73?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #2176
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
So if Hakk-R's data said that the Occuli were the fifth witness... and pretty much nobody knew that "Polly" would be the one that was to accompany them back....

Dimension X sort of feels like the filler mini-arc of DBZ between Piccolo giving Gohan the sword and Goku. You know, the stuff about Gohan learning not to be such a wuss, only for Gohan to start acting like a wuss again when the show gets back to the plot.

I'm guessing Dimension X is sort of like that, filler of sorts.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #2177
Powder
So tired of this place

How is Hakk-R meant to be pronounced?

Hock-R? Hack-R? Hacker? Hocker? H'kar?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #2178
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

The honest answer is me not thinking of that detail and relaying it to Tom when the time was right!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #2179
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
How is Hakk-R meant to be pronounced?

Hock-R? Hack-R? Hacker? Hocker? H'kar?
We've been saying Hack-R in the office.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #2180
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
We've been saying Hack-R in the office.
Just imagine, Hack-R Noir, the new men's fragrance for interdimensional bounty hunters everywhere!

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz