The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #41
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
one minor mix up i noticed when reading this was when Raph was mentioning Leatherhead taking Fugitoid's head off, the editor's note said-

Quote:
[See Issue #56]

and then a few pages later they repeated that same-

Quote:
[See Issue #56]
-in an unrelated context.

whoops!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #42
ChosenOne
Banned

The only thing I'm iffy on about this issue? The way Leatherhead restrained Hakk-R with his tail. I don't think crocodilians, even mutant ones, are supposed to have tails that flexible... Now if he were a mutant iguana, that'd be a whole other story, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb this way. I seem to recall he did it to Mikey back in his debut arc, but then again, Mikey has a much thicker body than Hakk-R and IIRC Leatherhead used the very tip of his tail back then.

Oh, well... It is what it is, I guess. In a story about off-brand Kappas meeting up with space elves, C-3PO's shorter cousin, and the illegitimate love child of Reed Richards and General Grievous, there's not much point in fretting over the physical limitations of real animal species in the real world.

It's great to see that mention of this being the longest-running TMNT comic ever on the cover, it's an entirely deserved distinction!

Last edited by ChosenOne; 08-02-2017 at 05:03 PM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Counting all of IDW together it already has nearly 150 issues, so I don't see the 73 mark being that big a deal when it already has more issues than anything outside of Mirage.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #44
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
The only thing I'm iffy on about this issue? The way Leatherhead restrained Hakk-R with his tail. I don't think crocodilians, even mutant ones, are supposed to have tails that flexible... Now if he were a mutant iguana, that'd be a whole other story, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb this way. I seem to recall he did it to Mikey back in his debut arc, but then again, Mikey has a much thicker body than Hakk-R and IIRC Leatherhead used the very tip of his tail back then.
Hey, we all have our weird little 'ticks' when it comes to suspending our belief, so I can understand your concern - I have my own hangups when it comes to fiction. However, this is an easy jump for me to make. Can't you chalk it up with all the other mutations that have occured in his body?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #45
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Counting all of IDW together it already has nearly 150 issues, so I don't see the 73 mark being that big a deal when it already has more issues than anything outside of Mirage.
well it is very significant from the semantics point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Hey, we all have our weird little 'ticks' when it comes to suspending our belief, so I can understand your concern - I have my own hangups when it comes to fiction. However, this is an easy jump for me to make. Can't you chalk it up with all the other mutations that have occured in his body?
i personally thought that 'tail-hold' part was actually pretty cool.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #46
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

All this being said, I'm surprised Leatherhead didn't attempt the infamous "spinout" that crocodyliformes are notorious for - and is probably one of the most terrifying aspects of their biology. Sure, it could have been because he was on land, but I think he would have figured out how to modify it by now.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #47
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Eh... It just took me out of the moment. It could be the mutations, but I'd be quicker to chalk it up to artistic liberties given the difference between his depiction in #56 and in this issue. Santolouco gave him smaller hands and forearms, and a thicker, heavier tail, I believe. Though it was still prehensile enough to whip stuff, and even restrain Mikey and one of Hun's goons in Universe #5 (Dialynas didn't change much other than his sheer bulk), it's a very different proposition to use it the same way against Hakk-R. It's not that important, though. I guess it just caught me off-guard that he could do that.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #48
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I did notice that Leatherhead's nose is a lot narrower...which is something of a crocodile attribute. So that's the part that bugs me the most.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #49
myconius
Abby Normal

now we're all just nit picking
Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #50
ChosenOne
Banned

I'll say this much, I believe a huge factor in Leatherhead's popularity is his design. There's just something so primal and so right about the concept of a giant bipedal crocodile/alligator... Whatever incarnation he's in, the most striking thing about the big guy is always his looks. And IDW is no exception.

Such a shame that he hasn't had his opportunity to shine on the big screen yet.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

A mutant alligator was always going to be popular. Even when I was a kid I liked him for that reason alone.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #52
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #73 at TMNT Entity.

While the issue does sort of throw readers into the deep end and has some vital tie-ins (hope everyone got that FCBD special three months ago and is subscribed to Dimension X this month), this is a storyline I've been anticipating pretty hard. So I guess IDW's marketing team did their job. Especially impressive, since I'm not normally into the sci-fi and outer space adventure side of the TMNT.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #53
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
A mutant alligator was always going to be popular. Even when I was a kid I liked him for that reason alone.
Same here! I've been hooked ever since I read about Jess Harley's fateful incursion into the witch's house back in the early days of Archie!

Unpopular opinion alert, but design-wise, even the Turtles look bland by comparison.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #54
ToTheNines
[sic]

Good issue. Nice to see the Neutrinos again, been a while. (I seem to remember Zak being more "badass" and less like his Fred Wolf self though).

LH suprised me, but makes total sense that he's there. Loved the Star Wars joke!

How did I just now realize that Smith's covers are interconnecting for this arc?

Personal nitpick: I ****ing hate when people and/or fictional characters say "the good doctor"/"the good professor". Please no more the rest of the arc.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #55
AquaParade
Banned

I'm a big fan of that retailer incentive cover. May pick up the book just for that. I love the 'painterly' style of it.

Wow, speaking of covers, has anyone seen this one? Freaking beautiful.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...a+Turt_1656051

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #56
myconius
Abby Normal

between Tmnt #73 and Dimension X #1, i really enjoy what IDW has been doing with the dialog between the Turtles.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I'm glad how old stuff is never forgotten. I mean IDW could have very well never touched up on Krang again and we'd just assume he was imprisoned forever, but it's nice that we got a new arc out of it. Also this technically counts as the first proper "Turtles in Space" arc for IDW, as their first trip was just directly to the Neutrino homeworld to help them fight and that's it.

Assuming there aren't many loose ends left behind when this arc ends, I guess it'll just be Bishop and the Pantheon going on till a big finale in issue 100.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #58
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah I'm glad how old stuff is never forgotten. I mean IDW could have very well never touched up on Krang again and we'd just assume he was imprisoned forever, but it's nice that we got a new arc out of it. Also this technically counts as the first proper "Turtles in Space" arc for IDW, as their first trip was just directly to the Neutrino homeworld to help them fight and that's it.

Assuming there aren't many loose ends left behind when this arc ends, I guess it'll just be Bishop and the Pantheon going on till a big finale in issue 100.
And Null, She Who Is Always Forgotten!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #59
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

Yeah, that arc from 17-20 felt more like a battle than anything.

this new arc and companion mini-series feel like an actual space arc, complete with aliens, space ships and everything.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Turtles always travel through space and to different planets in every series, so it was long overdue in IDW. I guess the lack of a Triceraton arc so far is why it took so long for it to happen.