The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Creativeturtles (1990) Casey Jones costume (WIP)

Working on a Casey Jones costume from the original film.

I managed to track down this jacket online. It's an 80's Levi's jacket.

Cutting off the sleeves, but leaving about less than a half inch on them allowed for it to fray well in the washing machine after dyeing the jacket.

I dyed it several times with RIT dye. The first time with pearl grey but it didn't come out grey enough, even after 2 boxes. So I went and bought a box of black and a box of green. The black usually turns out looking too purple if you only use one box to get a grey tone. The base color of the black actually seems to be purple. You can see red particles in the dye itself in powder form. To bump the red down and bring it to more of an actual grey I used the green dye too. It worked perfectly!

---------------------------------------------

I also started working on collecting his weapons and his golf bag.

For the baseball bats I picked up these two at a local Goodwill. One is slightly longer than the other but that will work for now.

I also took some screen captures of the golf club he uses at the end of the film. I searched several Goodwill and other thrift stores for a week or so before finding this.

It needs painted to properly match the one in the film, but it's the right model type. Northwestern. I like that it's beat up. It looks how it might if he kept the original club and continued using it. Painting it should be easy.

One of the most important parts of this costume is the golf bag he uses. In the film you hardly see the bag, just in quick movements during the scene with Raphael. I managed to track down the type of bag it is. It's a stovepipe golf bag. I thought maybe it was a quiver for arrows at first honestly, because I'm used to just seeing those big bulky golf bags. Stovepipe bags are small and narrow.

I took several screen captures of the bag and managed to match the bottom up with a old beat up bag I found on ebay. It's going to need plenty of work, and will probably end up needing to be completely re-skinned because of how damaged it is.

Here is an image of the golf bag I purchased, and next up is a comparison shot of the bottom of my bag and the one in the film. I don't believe it is the exact model used in the film, but it does seem to be made by the same manufacturer. Spaulding.

And for now that's all I have. I'm working on tracking down some gloves and some shoes. The gloves seem to just be perforated leather bike gloves. The shoes are black high-tops but I'm not sure what brand.

More updates as they come. The golf bag is supposed to be delievered to me today.
creativeturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Powder
Salami Origami

Man, this is looking legit. Rad work so far!
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Thank you! I've started working on repairing the bag. It was delivered today and it needs a lot of help. A lot!

I detached the bottom from the canvas section and started cleaning off the rust with steel wool. You can see a before and after shot below.

The before image is a little blurred, but it's from when I first started working on it with the steel wool. Before I started, there wasn't even a little bit of shine anywhere on it. The whole thing had a layer of rust. For the steel wool I used the kind with soap in it, it's all I have available at the moment. It worked well! I'm not sure if I'm going to try to clean it up more or not. In a way this costume is kind of turning out to look like what the costume from the film would look like now if it was still in use, so I kind of like that everything seems a little less than brand new.

I tried to save the main structure of the bag, but it's pretty much a total loss and will have to be fully remade. The canvas is so brittle it tears like paper and all the leather peices aren't far from that. I plan to use the existing canvas as a template for new canvas I will buy and use to remake the bag. I think I might try to keep the original pouch that is on the bag though. So far it doesn't seem to be as in bad of shape as the rest of the canvas.

Honestly, I'm 95% sure his bag is canvas, but sometime in the film it almost looks like it's leather, but in some shots it sags like canvas or fabric would.

Here is a photo of the torn down bag.

Last edited by creativeturtle; 03-17-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
creativeturtle
Random Punk

It's been a long time, but more actual updates will be coming soon. Next week I'm going to sculpt and cast a Casey Jones mask.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Goongala!!

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:41 AM   #6
pennydreadful
trash

Holy cow, dude - that's amazing! You're putting a lot of work into this but it's defs going to pay off. What you've got so far looks absolutely incredible - excellent work, man.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Mew
Banned

Sweet Babies!
Dats kewl!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
Commenter 42
Banned

Outstanding work! Are you also posting over on the RPF?
Love the amount of research you're putting in.
Subscribed!
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #9
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Jester, PennyDreadful, MewMeow and Commenter4, i'm very glad you like what you see here so far!

Yes, I have a topic over on the RPF as well under the name Egon Spengler.

Tonight I have a cool update.

Been working on this since about 11pm yesterday. Finished around 1:30am today. This is my replica of the club that Casey Jones uses at the end of the best turtle film, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 1990. Excellent film! If you haven't seen the film since it came out in 1990 well, too late. I'm not posting spoiler warnings on a 25 year old film. LOL

Towards the end of the film Casey picks up a golf club to defend himself. It's a black Northwestern Golf Club. I searched for a while to find a club of it's type. I picked up one of a different color at a Goodwill for 2.99. Tonight I painted it black to match the one in the film and distressed it to make it look more used since he found it in the film.

In this image you can see it from start to finish.

Sanded. Masked and primed. Painted with flat black enamel. Sealed with a clear matte finish.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 AM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

"I'll never call golf a dull game again..."

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Haha yeah. I keep thinking that line. When I try to say it it often comes out as "I'll never gull dulf a ...." LOL
Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #12
Creativemind
Foot Soldier

I am damn jealous. Awesome, dude.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Mew
Banned

Woah.
Nice.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Thanks, Creativemind! Nice name!

Thanks, MewMeow!

I was wondering, do any behind the scenes photos show more of the golf bag that Casey Jones has? It's so hard to find reference images for it.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
DarkFell
Mad Scientist

It's looking good so far CreativeTurtle. Like the rest of us, I'm also curious to see the finish product.

Got a question for you. How did you make that torso with the arms?
I thought I'd ask because I want to make one for myself.
It will be helpful whenever I decide to work on another cosplay costume.. or if I make it into a dummy that I can dress up and use for Halloween. Legs can be optional.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #16
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

looking pretty legit. Keep it up buddy
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #17
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Darkfell: Thanks!

My wife helped me with making it. I put on some old clothing and she put duct tape all around me. I also built a pvc pipe frame to mount the duct tape form on and filled it with cotton batting.

Google duct tape mannequin or duct tape dress form and a bunch of tutorials should come up. I've had mine for years now and it needs to be redone.

shuriken: Thank you!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #18
Creativemind
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeturtle View Post
Thanks, Creativemind! Nice name! .
Right? That's what I thought when I saw your name. I'll keep an eye out for pictures but I think as long as you stick to brown leather you are safe.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
DarkFell
Mad Scientist

Right on. Thanks CreativeTurtle.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #20
creativeturtle
Random Punk

Creativemind: Ha Ha! True on the leather, but I dunno, I kind of think it might be waxed canvas, though it does have some brown leather looking parts on it. Could be either way.

Darkfell: No probelm!

Here's a quick update!

The mask sculpt is coming along nicely. I need to lengthen the face a bit more, and add the eyes, mouth slits, and strap slits as well.

Really having fun with this project but trying to keep the clay smooth and even on and around the nose is a bit of a pain.